FSX crashes 5 seconds after flight loads

NimbleCat

Hi all. I've been trying to start a free flight with FSX all day but it always crashes 5 seconds in. Using Event Viewer I traced the problem to a "ntdll.dll" in the System32 folder.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.254, time stamp: 0xbf2f8c99

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000562ee

Faulting process ID: 0x47c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4530bdcea4240

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report ID: 8267f435-d28a-48f9-8faa-be02d192bb2a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've searched all over for a fix, but the only solutions I've found involve lowering some AI traffic settings. Any other fixes? Thanks.

I was having many issues until I changed the path of game installation to C:\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\FSX

Problems accure when installed using Program Files or Program Files (x86) as the installation path.

Just make a new folder called Steam on your C Drive or any other drive and install the game there. You may have to do a reinstall from Steam. Follow directions on how to reinstall. Search the forum here as there is a post where someone explained it in-depth to me and that's how I fixed my problems. Keep us updated. Would like to know how you make out. Good luck

No need to reinstall Steam completely - you can simply move the FSX-SE install.

Steam actually consists of TWO parts - the Client and the Library.

The client is the interface you use to log onto Steam, view your library collection and buy stuff etc. It also acts as the control element for providing updates etc for your stuff.

The Library is the actual game content.

If you look inside of the Steam folder you will see a list of folders and individual files - most of these are all associated with the Client. The exception is the SteamApps folder - it is the actual Library location and, unless you state otherwise, is used by default to contain all of your brought items.

To move the Steam Library itself, leaving the Steam Client in its current location requires you to be online, logged into your Steam account and can be achieved by following these two procedures - the first creates a new library location that will become the default area that all games will be installed to, and the second moves your current library to the new location - Note that it can be on a totally different drive if you wish:

Create the new library location:

a. Create a new folder (eg C:\Steam)- this is optional, see step g. below.

b. Log into your Steam account and go to the Library page.

c. From the menu listing located at Top left select Steam > Settings. This will open the Settings window.

d. Select the Downloads entry in the left hand pane.

e. Click on the Steam Library Folders button - a new window will open. This will list your current library location.

f. Click on the Add Library Folder button located at bottom left of the window - another window will open. Note that at the top of this window there will be a drop down menu box that will display your current library location details. Use this box to navigate between installed hard drives to select the appropriate drive.

g. Navigate to and then highlight the new folder (if created at step a.) and then click on the Select button OR, if you did not create a new folder at step a, click on the New folder button, enter a name in the box and click OK.

Move the library:

a. Right click on an item in your library list - a number of options will be displayed.

b. Select Properties. This will launch a new window.

c. Select the 'Local Files' tab.

d. Select the 'Move Install Folder' option. A new window will open.

e. The new window will give info regarding the current location and will display a drop down menu box that will contain details of where you can move the game contents to - it should show the newly created location.

f. Click on the Move Folder button and it will start to move the game files. A progress bar will show progress and a message will be displayed on completion.

The process should update the desktop icons but if not simply create new ones or edit the current one so that it points to the new location.

Using this method you can have multiple Libraries for individual products......

Regards

Brian

Archived