Frustrated - switching back to FS9

Darrin

Hello,

After a couple years spent flying FSX, I'm going back to FS9. When I first loaded up FSX, I experienced fairly good performance on my computer, but over the past couple years, I've seen my performance slip a bit. I also don't like how finicky it is.

My GTX570 video card just died and I'm relying on my integrated video card on my ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro motherboard. My question is, will FS9 run just fine using the on-board video card?

i7 2600K

8 GB RAM

Win 7 Professional

Integrated Graphics (see below)

p8Z68 mobo

water-cooled

850W PSU

Integrated Graphics Processor

Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports

- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

- Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

- Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz

Maximum shared memory of 1748 MB

As little as i know about integrated graphics, i will stick my neck out and say forget it. You need to replace your video card and save yourself a boat load of frustration down the road. FSX is 12 years old now, and century of flight is 15 years old there has to be cheap video cards available.

If you do go back to FSX and experience that drop off in performance, try deleting your CFG file, and let FSX build a new one...i get a tangible improvement in performance when i do this.

Guest Sascha66
I myself still use FS9. Now with P3D v4 and X-Plane 11 I might dip my toe in (especially X11) but I'll keep FS9 around as long as I can keep it running!

This was why I stayed with FS2002. ;)

I'm not used to photo-grade scenery or aircraft, so why make the jump when it would be tougher to jump back?

In other words, FS2002 looks great to me. :pilot:

I actually put a lot of thought into buying this PC when the time came (I tend to buy for the long haul, at least 5 years).

I didn't originally want Win10, but it seemed to be the best alternative and I really can't complain about it two year's in. :scrug:

Back when I first bought this rig, I figured I could look for a graphics card later, after I got my programs and games installed.

I ran Task Manager and did some performance checks with FS running and it turned out I didn't NEED a graphics card with the games I like to play. :eek: FS2002 was perfectly happy running maxed out with the frame rate locked at 60 fps/2k. I've run "torture flights" in excess of 12 hours (real time) and FS doesn't quit- I do. :D

The only reason I got a "$40 special" video card was to get some better display options plus its a fan-less card so there's no noise. :pilot:

I also don't have to worry about frying the card, the hottest I've ever seen it was 65C on a very humid day.

So, with the new PC (a lowly but fast i3 CPU with 8 gigs of RAM and Win10/64 bit) and a fanless card, I'm "in" for under $400 (again, two year's ago). Which reminds me, this rig is due for a cleaning and a new battery. :o

Please don't think about keeping your integrated GPU as your definitive one. FS9 will run somehow, but the image quality is not OK. I did endure 4 years with a laptop equipped with a 2nd generation Intel GPU (HD3000). As soon as I changed my laptop to another one with Nvidia GPU, I realized what I was missing. It's better to save for a crappy GPU (something ending in 40 or lower if you want to keep FS9) or a good one (something ending in 70 at least if you miss FSX).

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

From what I have been able to tell, FSX and FS9 "delete the cfg file and it will rebuild it" are virtually identical. Only difference, of course, is the location. One will be in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9, and, obviously, the other will be in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX .

At least in WIN7

Just go into the correct folder, make a back-up copy of the .cfg file, then delete the original.cfg file. Make sure the sim is CLOSED when you go to do this. NOT RUNNING. That is vital.

A quick, easy way to make a back-up of the .cfg file is to rclick on it, select COPY from the menu that pops up, then lclick on an empty space in the same folder, rclick, and select PASTE from the menu that appears. Instant back-up file. 3 clicks, quick, simple, easy, and painless.

Good luck, and have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You need to set your Windows to "show hidden files and folders". I'm 99% sure that's why you can't see it.

https://freeappsforwindows.com/how-to-show-hidden-files-windows-7/

Phantom Tweak posted very informative and comprehensive instructions, but don't let the talk of back ups files frighten you, it is very easy and even if you lose your back up file, it will make a new CFG file, just not the one you have. He is of course correct, it is always a good idea to make back up files.

By the way, my first reply regarding CFG file was for FSX and an improved performance, not sure you will get the same result in FS9, but can't hurt to try.

Thanks. So now I've found C>Users>My name>AppData>Roaming>Miicrosoft>FSX, I just delete the CFG file called fsx, right?

There's also a text document called fsx.CFG - do I delete that too?

Thanks again for your patience with my questions and taking the trouble to reply.

What do you mean, there is a CFG file AND a text file FSX.CFG. aren't they the same critter? Or did you mean there is an FSX.CFG and an FSX.CFG.TXT?

In any event, delete the file FSX.CFG. AFTER you make a backup of it, of course.

Make certain FSX is NOT ACTIVE when you delete the .cfg file.

Then after you have deleted, or renamed the FSX.CFG file, say something like XSF.cfg or FSX.GFC, or FSX_OLD.CFG, or heck, you can rename it FRED.DRF if you like. Just so long that if you need to, you can make it become FSX.CFG again if you, for some weird reason, might need to.

After you delete, or rename, it, the next time your run FSX it will recreate a "virgin" copy. A copy that would exist if you had just installed FSX.

Does this help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You can follow phantom Tweak's informative, and comprehensive instructions above, or, slightly simplified. Empty your recycle bin, delete the two files you mentioned. Start up FSX and it will build you a new CFG file...if something goes wrong, just restore the files from the recycle bin.

I hope you are not thinking that this is some sort of magic bullet, but if you are seeing slow performance this might well help. Let us know when you are done, and i will post you a couple of CFG tweaks that are really good for FSX.

Archived