Help with moire

TKessel

I am getting quite a bit of Moire effect on X Plane: structures particularly. Kind of like a boiling appearance. Not close, but a mile + distant is most annoying. I have played a lot with settings but can't really get it to go away. Default scenery.

Win 10 PC, 16 G RAM, Intel CPU 3.4 GHz; graphic card is a Radeon RX 480.

I can only get the anti alias to the #1 notch, after that the image develops "ghosts" and becomes un-useable.

What got me thinking of this was watching a youtube video with none of the artifacts I notice in my own installation of X plane 11. I looked at the youtube profile and the youtuber has a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Edition 11GB GDDR5X 352-bit PCIe 3.0 Gaming Graphics Card. It is an approximately $700-800 graphics card compared to my card that came with my pc, a Radeon RX 480, which had reviews that were good for a mid price card.

I'm thinking of getting the GeForce card, but want to be sure it will be compatible with my pc. I don't want to buy a card that will not work with my pc.

Any suggestions other than the above Geforce? I haven't had to get a new graphics card for a pc for about 15 years, just using whatever was on-board the pc when I got it.

Any opinion or suggestions here? It's not an emergency.... I'm still thinking.

- Ted

It doesn't seem so obtrusive in a screenshot. When moving there is a constant "boiling" around and on structures. In the screenshot of the cabin, you can see the jagged edges of the shadow. When in motion there is a "shimmering" on structures on the ground. creating a boiling effect. Maybe it isn't moire. When not in motion, like the screenshot, things seem to settle down and it's barely noticeable.

Second screenshot is my settings. Thanks, Ted

xplane-settings.jpg

Moire.jpg

Archived