Cleaning SSD's

I have become addicted to SSD's for their speed, reliability and lack of moving parts. I am well aware not to defrag them, but is there any reason not to run disk cleanup on an SSD?

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

No reason not to do it. Disk Cleanup is "taking out the trash" - removing unnecessary, unneeded files off the drive, still applicable no matter what kind of drive, especially for Windows.

You should also be turning off drive indexing and the Windows SuperFetch service - both needless for SSDs.

Run AS SSD and make sure the drive is aligned. Everything should say "OK"

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/as_ssd_benchmark.html

Check TRIM. https://www.howtogeek.com/257196/how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-ssd-and-enable-it-if-it-isnt/

Turn off indexing and use Everything.exe https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

I'd use System Ninja and Ccleaner every now and again. Don't use Ccleaner's registry cleaner though. You may end up with issues.

If AHCI wasn't on in your BIOS prior to SSD installation, you can try and enable it, but it might be a problem.

Thanks guys for the info, that was what I needed. CRJ, I use CCleaner Professional religiously and have never had any problems with Registry cleaning. I suspect that CCleaner does much the same thing as Windows disk cleanup.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

The Windows clean up will get rid of things like old system restore points, etc. I don't know if Ccleaner Pro does that. But I bet you that System Ninja will find more Temp files than Ccleaner. Although, I haven't used Ccleaner Pro.

You have to be very careful at deleting registry entries. It may delete entries that think are old but are in fact not. And it's really not necessarily to mess with the registry at all. It's largely snake oil. You won't get any performance benefits. There are many registry tools out there, but they can and WILL do more harm than good and are all snake oil.

To add what I said in my first post, you may want to download the SSD manufacturer's software and over provision the SSD.

CCleaner installers now include other unwanted software packages that you need to opt out, and it even once had a malware scare incident. It's not what it used to be, after being taken over by Avast.

CRJ_simpilot is right about the registry. Fact is, registry problems haven't been a major concern for many years, not since Windows 98 & XP days, though many people don't get that fact. Do you really want to mess with a working registry just to get rid of unneeded reg entries that takes Windows five milliseconds to skip?

In today's news, Disk Cleanup will be phased out, replaced by Win10 "Free Up Space" utility.

From How To Geek:

Disk Cleanup is Going Away

All I can say is, that I have had no bad experiences with CCleaner Pro - the unwanted stuff may come with the free version. Almost all program updates and uninstalls leave substantial amounts of junk files and invalid registry entries, not to mention internet browser cookies. I have had my current computer for about a year now, and I would loosely estimate that CC has eliminated at least 10-12 GB from my SSD during that time. I usually run it once a week, and it typically cleans out 200-500 MB per session, and that does not include major program updates or uninstalls. I think it keeps my computer lean and mean (and faster)!!

When ever you uninstall a program, try Revouninstaler. It will find most if not all left overs including registry entries after the program's uninstaller has ran. Best of all it creates a system restore point prior to this and Revouninstaller is free.

For the most part Revouninstaller will only remove registry entries related to that install. It's nice if you are trying to fix or repair a bad install and need all of its registry entries deleted.

With Ccleaner it just removes whole lots of registry items and they may be still in use. So with that I'd only use Revouninstaller's capability.

Archived