Instrument charts for FSX?

BuffaloSpeedway

• 1 month later...

FSCharts.com has airport info (rwys, ILS freqs, nearby beacons, waypoints, etc) that are very close to the FSX era. Somehow the author was able to write programs that read FS AFD files (it says) and create graphic displays.

Very slick, but I think the pilot has bailed out on this site and it is running on autopilot. One of these days it will simply disappear.

Anyone else written such programs?

skyvector.com shows today's world, not the FSXSE world. Many beacons have gone dark between FSXSE and now. Airport runways have changed. Magnetic North has moved.

Many old basic airport charts are available in flightsim.com file downloads "apchrts1" & "apchrts2". And there are 2005 sectional charts, such as "us_secp7", but the graphic files are skewed; the doc says they are supposed to be used with something called FSM Moving Map, which I have not gotten to work yet.

Again, the best tool would be something like FSCharts.com that reads actual FSX files and displays the world you are actually flying.

When I flew the PMDG 737 in FS2004 I used FSBuild to create the SID and STARs for both the FMC and the Sim. I could then use ATC, but right before the STAR, ATC would vector you off. So you never have real STAR-like approaches. Of course there is an add-on that does this. Can't remember it's name, but I didn't care for it. I'd rather fly in VATSIM. Which I have done.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one flying aircraft w/o GPS?

It is dawning on me that the reason this isn't a major problem for everybody else is because they use a GPS (I don't even use one in my car - to each his own).

That said, Plan-G looks like it is exactly what I have been looking for! Thanks, il88pp, for one of your over 7200 posts on this forum.

There is also an older program, NAV, available on the file downloads section of this site, but it uses FS2002 data.

The GPS is really just cheating. I have flown VOR to VOR from Colorado to Vegas, but I just love the GPS for its situational capability, and I use it in lieu of a proper Nav display in the Lear 45 and the F-22 Raptor. If I had a Nav display with a real working FMC, the GPS would go.

Hi BuffaloSpeedway:D

Glad to hear you like Plan-G. And I see you're already passing the love forward, great!

Tip, if you have two monitors, you can do your flying on one monitor, and have plan-G open on the other one. It has a "connect" button. Press that, and you will see your aircraft on the map in Plan-G, and you will see the AI on the map as well.

Happy Flights!

il.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived