DBS Studio

CRJ_simpilot

I just bought a TAWS gauge created by this company for only 8 bucks and change. The process of getting it activated is by use of their module that creates a file and then you email this file to them and they send you an activation code. Despite sending two emails with this attachment they need, I have not gotten a response. Now for the last email I sent with my Yahoo account instead just to make sure my other email isn't blocking them.

Has anyone else had trouble activating a DBS Studio product? I bought this at PC Aviator which is against my better judgement. Because all they do is spam you with Mega scenery crap despite asking them not to do so with their emails option in your account. I would have bought this from FSPilotShop, but they didn't have this TAWS gauge. I wonder why....

Full disclosure. I have a free TAWS gaguge, but it has some flaws on rendering right away, etc so I thought this one might be better.

And looking at the similar threads below, this might be a crapshoot. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?290527-DBS-Studio-Airport-GPS-Activation

It's always been of my opinion that anything having to use a module increases failure exponentially. Just like updates. Whether that be for an OS or a cable box like mine!

Yep, this is a crapshoot. I sent 4 emails to the email address they say to send to for activation and then I sent an email to their gmail address. No response. Looks like I need to get a refund. Good thing I used PayPal because if PC Aviator gives me problems I'll open a case. Been there done that with other stuff.

So with that, I don't recommend anyone buy a DBS Studio product.

I can't believe PC Aviator is still selling this crap.

In my orders history I see this:

For Technical Support For This Title Please Visit: http://www.dbsim.com

Or Tech Support Email: dbsstudio@gmail.com

dbsim.com doesn't load which means the website is down. In Fact, WHOIS reports a 500 server error. http://whois.domaintools.com/dbsim.com

I have contacted PC Aviator for a refund and never got a response form them either. Looks like I need to contact PayPal now to get my lousy 8 bucks and change back. Total bull crap!

As you saw, all support is handeled through the software producer (DBS) and not PCAviator.

Also, as you can see in the PC Aviator returns policy:

Download Store Returns and Refunds

We are obligated to uphold the copyrights of the download vendors whose products we sell.

The policy for download products is strictly no refunds. In some rare circumstances refunds are issued but it is not

at our discretion but at the discretion of the download vendor.

If you want a refund for a download store product you are required to contact the vendor and

request permission for a refund.

We will then provide a refund when the vendor has contacted us with permission to refund you.

We trust that you are understanding of this policy.

That's just a small part of the returns policy, about downloaded software.

About Disk Purchases it says (among other things):

Due to piracy issues, we cannot accept the return of, nor provide a refund on any returned

software packages that have been opened.

In the event of a defective software product, we can exchange a software product with a copy of the same title

but we cannot refund or replace the software with an alternative title.

Here's the full terms and condiditons:

https://www.pcaviator.com/store/pages.php?pageid=10

So, assuming this was a download, returning it is not an option.

That also means that if you just have paypal book the money back, you have "taken without paying".

Not a good idea probably. Stay on the right side of the law.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He never got the damn thing activated, so he has taken nada.

So it's impolite (deliberate eufemism) to accuse CRJ of theft.

Wim

Wim - +1 Thanks for speaking up on Aaron's behalf. Aaron bought this item "in good faith" paid for the item with Pay Pal, great for both buyer and seller. Now Aaron, can't get hold of anyone responsible for activating his purchase, what option does he have other than to turn to Pay Pal, file a case with them and get his money back? Yes, the item hasn't gone back to them and I doubt for $8 that they will even pursue having Aaron send the item back. Without it being activated, what's Aaron going to do with it, it's not heavy enough to make a good boat anchor, so it is WORTHLESS!

You go, Aaron and thank you Wim!

Rick :cool:

Yeah, DBS Studio has like disappeared. That return policy is bull crap. I will be going to PayPal and opening a case. I will give them the DBS Studio link and show them their server is off line. I will further indicate all emails to DBS Studio and PC Aviator have gone unanswered. I will include the bounced email headers if necessary.

Theft? You accuse me of theft? They (DBS Studio and PC Aviator) stole from me! That kind of policy without the use of common sense in regards to a company that has disappeared and yet continues to sell a product that you can't activate is theft.

Yeah, DBS Studio has like disappeared. That return policy is bull crap. I will be going to PayPal and opening a case. I will give them the DBS Studio link and show them their server is off line. I will further indicate all emails to DBS Studio and PC Aviator have gone unanswered. I will include the bounced email headers if necessary.

Theft? You accuse me of theft? They (DBS Studio and PC Aviator) stole from me! That kind of policy without the use of common sense in regards to a company that has disappeared and yet continues to sell a product that you can't activate is theft.

It's not often I agree with you, but I totally agree with you. Any `theft` comes from a vendor knowingly selling a product that can't be activated.

And as they took the money from you, it's down to them to return it.

Good luck with that! I don't know why people keep using sorry-arse vendors and cheapskate producers? DBS have been `gone` for ages, so perhaps the time to search their website was before you committed funds, not after?

I'd agree that it's a good idea to check out the developer's website. For openers, with hardware, it's often cheaper to buy direct. But DBS Studios had a blog, last entry was in 2012. Could it possibly be that this developer was just one person, and that person has died? I'd hardly believe that it's an open scam, seeing that as scams go, it doesn't sound like a lucrative one. I'd bet the number of purchases number in the hundreds, not thousands, and it's being sold pretty much on the cheap.

This was the blog, which was still up, BTW. http://dbsstudio.blogspot.com/

I've also seen activation problems going on for years, like a similar problem showing up in the SimOuthouse forums four years ago. Perhaps someone should have been sounding the alarms then.

I followed a link, and found a version of a Follow Me 2, which was apparently in development, files dated around 2011, and downloaded it from Avsimrus.

It sounds like none of our vendors do due diligence in seeing that the people they're doing business with are still in business. Perhaps even monthly checks would help things immensely.

Robert Smith

Yeah, I thought the same thing, i.e. a one man show and dude has since died.

I shall send PC Aviator another email telling them DBS Studio is no more by all indications of their website. However, I believe PC Aviator is in South or North Carolina and I don't know if they may suffer some damage or not if they are close to the water. But I'll go on ahead and send an email anyway and wait a few weeks for an answer and report back.

I haven't opened a case with PayPal yet. Been too bust and it's a giant PITA. But money is money even though I spend around $8 for it.

Now I have to reinstall the thing. Watch it don't work.

And I was right. I reinstalled the gauge and inserted the activation key they gave me and the TAWS doesn't power up. So I'm assuming the key is tied to installation which is a real PITA if you have to reinstall your Sim. I sent DBS Studio yet another email for a new activation key and so I'll probably have to wait another three damn weeks!

I feel like saying screw it, and cut my lose of seven dollars and change. Plus, despite me NOT ticking the email option in my PC Aviator account, they continue to spam me.

Archived