New WW2 Flight Simulation released

johnost

OBD Software - maker of the "Over Flanders Fields" WW1 sims - has announced the release of "Wings over the Reich" for WW2. This is a limited release to be followed by expansions. I have purchased the sim and have done one patrol flight with no combat action. It is too early for me to provide any assessments, but everything looks good so far.

The website: http://www.wingsoverthereich.com/

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

• 1 month later...

Interesting post, thanks for the heads up. Not sure that it will fill the gap left by CFSI, II, and III that just will not run under my Widows 10 machines. I still repeated make efforts to run my old flight sims in Windows 10 but to no avail.

I have tried a patch that I downloaded but it was a no goer. I have read that NirSoft have produced a tool that allows old games and programmes to run in Windows 10. Has anyone here tried it?

Chris :)

Chris: I have heard of people finding solutions to running CFS3 on Win 10 on the SimOuthouse website.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pointer John. I was recently given an oldish laptop that is running Windows 10 and I am contemplating revamping it to run an earlier version of Windows and load up CFS 1, 2,& 3; after removing its internet facility and much of the existing software.

Which is the best version of Windows to run CFS 1, 2, & 3 on?

Now you are challenging my very grey memory cells. I think I played CFS 2 many years ago on Vista and CFS 3 on XP, but I could be wrong. It is interesting, however, that both the OBD programs I mentioned above are based on - and include - the CFS 3 program dated from 2011, and they run fine on my computer with Win 10. Maybe OBD can give you a clue as to what needs to be changed.

What a pain in the butt the whole thing is. I thoroughly enjoyed using both CFS I & II but wasn't overly keen on CFS III. I spent many hours both in combat and downloading extra files for missions and planes in both I & II.

Just at present I can see that there may be three, or four, ways to go...……...opt for Wings over the Reich, buy in an old laptop that is running Windows XP, somehow get my standby laptop to run both Windows 10 and Windows XP, or completely revamp the standby to just run Windows XP.

Perhaps we could 'FLASHMOB' Microsoft via email! How many flightsimmers do you recon that there are in the world?

Chris :(

Not having tried it, I know that you can run two operating systems on the same computer selectively, so if you can find a copy of XP that should solve your problem.

I am ashamed to say, that I have not yet spent much time with WOTR, have been too busy with other things. I have only flown a half dozen patrol missions and seen no ME 109's so far. By comparison to the CFS's the plane details - and especially the graphics - are far superior. OBD Software seems to take pride in creating realistic AI, so I am sure something will happen soon. http://www.simhq.com/ is running a forum on WOTR where you can get more info.

Thanks for the reply John, I will drop in on simhq and I will also have a chat with a young friend about possibly setting up my standby laptop to run both 10 and XP.

Sadly, I just aint a whiz computing grandpappy. General Zuchov was beating down the gates of Berlin on the day that I was born and the only computer worth it's electricity was top secret! ;)

That does not provide you with any excuses - at the time you mentioned I was 11 year old! Lol

I would recommend that you go to Steam and look at the IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz. I still enjoy that game, it is realistic and not too complicated. The other IL-2 games are also very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the informative reply John. The ACER Aspire 9303WSMi, that had been gifted to me and was running Windows 10, has now been given a totally clean sweep and is running Windows XP and is loaded up with Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator I and II. We now have take off and it just requires me to dig out many of those missions that I have sitting around in my cd library.

Jeez...…...eleven years old, you certainly put a smile on my face and set my grey matter working. Are you still driving? :)

I will get my self over to Steam and take a look. I, unlike my son, I have never been a great gamer but did find WWII combat flight simulation interesting. But then again, I have always been interested in flight and flying.

Glad to hear that you are back in business. Yep - I will be 85 this month, not a grey hair yet and still driving!

Archived