Hotkeys (1) Changing or (2) Quit Working?

scott_295

Long time lurker (~8 years), first time poster.

I searched with various tags and couldn't find an answer to my problem, hence this post. If I'm in error, my apologies.

1. I downloaded an addon plane yesterday (the Fairchild C-123 K Provider) and flew it around to check it out. I noticed some of my key assignments weren't working so I checked in "Options" and saw they had been changed. I changed them back. For instance, I use F7 and F8 for GPS and Radiostack, respectively (I use Shift+F5-F8 for flaps). 10 or 20 seconds later, I hit one of those keys and nothing (or something else) opened. So I changed them again. Same result.

So, my first main question is are some addons able to change the keyboard assignments on the fly (no pun intended)? I looked in the plane's folder and couldn't find any kind of extra config file so if it's changing hotkeys, how? What was really annoying about it was that after switching planes, I had to go through and change all my hotkeys to the way I like them. Am I going to have to backup my fs9.cfg file and use that to replace the overwritten one every time I fly that plane and then switch back to others?

2. In a somewhat related problem, sometimes certain hotkeys will just quit working - in the middle of a flight - without me having done anything. Usually, but not always, it's the Period key, which I use for "autopilot heading bug increment". But here's the thing: going into Options > Controls > Assignments will show it's still assigned. And yet it doesn't work. In the past I've changed it to Ctrl+Period and then it'll work. But then I'll change it back to my original setting to no effect. I don't have this problem with the Comma key, which I use for "autopilot heading bug decrement". I have yet to figure this one out. Any ideas?

Thank you for your consideration.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

I've experienced this problem as well in my Win7 setup. Turned out to be caused by the FS9.cfg file unexpectedly being re-created. Why or how, I have no idea but a copy/paste from the backup solved the problem ...... untill the next time.

Hans

I've experienced this problem as well in my Win7 setup. Turned out to be caused by the FS9.cfg file unexpectedly being re-created. Why or how, I have no idea but a copy/paste from the backup solved the problem ...... untill the next time.

Yeah, exactly. It's not that much of a big deal having to replace that cfg file every time I change from that particular plane but it is when I can't have my own personalized hotkeys.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

Thanks guys.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 99.99% certain I found the solutions to my problems:

Problem: An addon aircraft was changing key assignments.

Solution: I neglected to add the new gauges to the gauges folder. :o After I did, the problem went away.

Problem: Certain hot keys would suddenly stop working.

Solution: Discovered this happens when I have FS9 & Airport Design Editor open at the same time. Why? I have no idea. But it seems that once I close both apps and reopen FS9, no more problems.

• 1 year later...

OMG. :rolleyes:

For some inexplicable reason, FS9 just suddenly started changing and deleting my keyboard assignments.

In fact, I would swear that in the "Controls - Assignments" window there was a option for Nav lights. It's missing. Am I remembering wrong or has my FS suddenly gone off its meds?

At first, I deleted the FS9.cfg file and replaced it with a back up, which I actually hadn't backed up for a while. So I ditched that and spent about 30 minutes last night going through and reassigning a bunch of keys and adding the ones deleted (someone once posted a list of all the keyboard assignments possible and I use a few, such as "ap_panel_altitude_hold"). This is after no problems for months. After I fixed them, I saved the flight, exited out of FS, and opened that flight only to discover keys were changed or deleted again. WTF?!?!

I suspect it has something to do with the AutoSave module so I deleted the module. Yes, I have a backup.

Anyone have any thought about this?

To answer some questions before they're asked...

Q. Do you have 3rd party addons?

A. Just a couple of freeware planes, one of which I haven't flown in over a year and the other that hasn't given me any problems at all.

Q. Have you modified any airports or planes?

A. Yes. I noticed a bunch of VORs that were low altitude that I switched to high altitude. No problems during that flight. I also added ILS and tower comms to an airport (KLDJ).

Also, I changed some things in the Lear's cfg file:

• increased the fuel capacity a little

• boosted the max mach and IAS a little

• boosted the static thrust a little

• increased the thrust scalar from .9 to 1, iirc (I saw an old thread where someone was complaining about climb rate or something and it turned out the thrust scalar wasn't at max; I'd have to go back and find the thread again but I'm pretty sure this is the setting in question)

Other than changing the thrust scalar, I've done some of the same things to other planes with no problem and I can't see how it would affect FS now.

Man, this thing can get buggy.

OMG. :rolleyes:

For some inexplicable reason, FS9 just suddenly started changing and deleting my keyboard assignments.

This is because you're re-assigning the default keyboard commands - never do that! Always create new key combinations which are not in use already, for example:

If you want to toggle Nav lights on/off with the "N" key, and that's already in use for some other function (you'll get a warning when you try to set it), try "Ctrl+N" instead. If that's already in use, try "Shift+N", and finally "Ctrl+Shift+N".

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This is because you're re-assigning the default keyboard commands - never do that! Always create new key combinations which are not in use already, for example:

If you want to toggle Nav lights on/off with the "N" key, and that's already in use for some other function (you'll get a warning when you try to set it), try "Ctrl+N" instead. If that's already in use, try "Shift+N", and finally "Ctrl+Shift+N".

Except that I've reassigned default keys numerous times for literally years and never really had any problems. This is something new that's going on.

I'm not sure why you believe this, Tim? I am with Scott on this. It is perfectly in order to re-assign any key in use, whether a default or previously-configured one. FS gives the same warning for either - it is only for information.

I have fiddled with some of mine for convenience and never had an issue.

As to why Scott is losing his configuration, that's another matter altogether. It could be an anti-virus package detecting changes that it thinks are suspicious. If it deleted the fs9.cfg file, a new default one would be created. The fact that the problem isn't happening immediately fits with this idea.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hi Scott and John, I've found it to be 'best practice' to leave the default assignments as they are because I've also had them disappear or change back again for no apparent reason!

It can also happen with 'new' assignments, but only after a CTD or other traceable fault.

Some add-on programs and even gauges have their own keyboard commands which may overwrite any existing FS9.cfg assignments unless you edit them so that they don't clash with the default assignments or each other's.

I've done this with FSPassengers and Radar Contact programs and the RealCRT gauges in the past, but only for the two or three functions which I really need keyboard commands for - it would be a nightmare to re-assign them all!

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hey guys,

It seems logical that when one's FS9.cfg unexpectedly and for whatever reason, automatically gets replaced by it's default version, any previously existing user custom keyboard combinations, along with any other custom edits, will have been replaced by the now problematic default ones.

Just a shot in the dark here but could this possibly have something to do with wireless keyboards ?

I would like to test this myself but I ditched my wired ones quite some time ago.

Regards

Hans

As to why Scott is losing his configuration, that's another matter altogether. It could be an anti-virus package detecting changes that it thinks are suspicious. If it deleted the fs9.cfg file, a new default one would be created. The fact that the problem isn't happening immediately fits with this idea.

I didn't realize you were talking about me at first. I'm like, "who the hell is 'Scott'." lol

I go by Hal (which is what I use on another forum) and I changed my profile pic & avatar to keep things consistent.

That's interesting about the AV software. Since I "fixed" the fs9.cfg file, I haven't had any problems... yet.

Hal

I am with Hans on this one. I also believe you have a defective keyboard. Nothing else makes any sense.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).