P3dv4 size vs FSX?

shadowfaxcrx

I'm seeing that P3Dv1 is shown as having about half the drive space requirements of P3Dv4 per LM's requirements page. Should I assume that P3D is gonna need at least twice as much space as FSX (addons included)? Gonna give it its own SSD and don't want to under-buy.

Thanks, all.

My FSX is 83 GB, while my P3D V2 is 144 GB. Both have ORBX and a number of add-on aircraft, but the P3D has a lot of stuff added that the FSX doesn't, since I rarely use the FSX any more, and a few years of add-ons is a large part of the difference.

On the other hand, I don't know what P3D V4 may do to the size, since it may be a while before I upgrade -- a friend and I have to coordinate that, and there may be incompatibilities with some stuff we've modified (only for us, to our taste), including specialized scenery that wouldn't mean a lot to most folks out there, and lots of aircraft improvements.

So those with V4 will be needed to give a better answer.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

My FSX is 83 GB, while my P3D V2 is 144 GB. Both have ORBX and a number of add-on aircraft, but the P3D has a lot of stuff added that the FSX doesn't, since I rarely use the FSX any more, and a few years of add-ons is a large part of the difference.

On the other hand, I don't know what P3D V4 may do to the size, since it may be a while before I upgrade -- a friend and I have to coordinate that, and there may be incompatibilities with some stuff we've modified (only for us, to our taste), including specialized scenery that wouldn't mean a lot to most folks out there, and lots of aircraft improvements.

So those with V4 will be needed to give a better answer.

P3Dv4 can spread the files across multiple drives - I have addon aircraft on one drive, all my ORBX installation on another and one can even spread the default files around, if you want.

a 256 gig SSD will be enough, but it depends what you want to add to P3dv4 and where you want to put it... But you can assume that 4096 textures are going to take a LOT more space than the 1024 textures of FSX!

That's interesting that it can spread the install over multiple drives. That opens up the possibility of offloading stuff onto the almost empty 3tb regular drive I've got. That'll save me quite a bit of money. Thanks!

Yes, only need is for rapidly-accessed textures on the SSD.

`One hit wonders` like aircraft textures can easily be stored on HD, as can anything under the ORBX folder - you just need to create a symbolic link in Windows - already explained in this very forum.

Only ORBX textures that need siting on the SSD are the library files which are automatically placed in the sims Texture folder anyway.

Most scenery addons don't use the `old` addon scenery folder that FSX utilised anyway - they use (or can use) the Prepar3d v4 Addons or Prepar 3D Files in the C: drive anyway - and the C: should always be on the SSD so size accordingly. If it does use addon scenery weell. it can be located anywhere just so long as the GUI can `see` it - mine is on the D:\ drive.

Archived