What the heck is "activation"??!!

Mac6737

OMG. I just replaced my PC with a custom-build at my local Microcenter.

Of course, I had to do a complete reinstall of FSX (Deluxe), SP1 and Acceleration. I experienced no issues with the install, and added some planes and my Orbx purchases. Booted it up and everything was swell -- except for an error message at the outset, which soon disappeared as the program completed scenery files. (I took this to relate to the imported Orbx material).

But about 20 minutes into a flight, the sim stopped and a message thanked me for "trying FlightSim," and instructed me to "activate." The terse instructions on the screen disappeared before I could catch them, and the PC then crashed; had to reboot. What the heck is this all about?

I searched this forum, and find some threads going back 5 - 10 years about problems installing Acceleration, but that seems not to be my problem.

I can't quite believe that my entire system and libraries built up for over a decade is now useless.

Please help!

Mac6737

(4/16/19) ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop. I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, FSX:SE, Oculus rift, Windows 10

(Built 03/08): GA-EP35C-DS3R, Q6600 (oc=3.4Ghz), 8GB (4x2) DDR2 1066, Corsair 850W, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; FSX Gold+Accel+REX+UTXUSA+UTXTAC+MegaSc MN

sford has the answer you need. just like windows of old when you installed it you would have to activate it. FSX is no different. Due to them getting out of FSK and letting dovetail/steam take over they no long use thier servers to activate. you will have to phone microsoft using the 800#. Hope this gets you back in the air.

AD

sford has the answer you need. just like windows of old when you installed it you would have to activate it. FSX is no different. Due to them getting out of FSK and letting dovetail/steam take over they no long use thier servers to activate. you will have to phone microsoft using the 800#. Hope this gets you back in the air.

AD

Totally false. FSX boxed is activated on the Microsoft servers just as it always has. The same servers activate tens of other MS products as well. DO NOT phone Microsoft because they will tell you that they no longer support FSX, which is the truth. However, if you call the activation number and listen to the robot walk you through the activation process you will be able to activate your FSX just fine. Until you do this the most you will be able to fly is 30 minutes.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I went the 800 route and have to give a shout-out to "Chitrantshi" who spent 45 minutes on my screen and fixed it (I hope and pray).

First, she was able to get me to a prompt that asked for my product key. (I had of course entered this successfully when I reinstalled in the first place.) But the program then said that key was "invalid." Long story short: the key it wanted was not the FSX key -- it was the "Acceleration" product key. Who knew? You have to give Mickeysoft credit for persisting.

Let's see how long the sim works this time around.

BTW: I copied all my Alabeo planes into the re-installation. They are all there. But some are missing walls in VC, and NONE of them starts with CTRL+E. They blow dirty smoke and then shut down.

Tomorrow, I'll work on that.

I went the 800 route and have to give a shout-out to "Chitrantshi" who spent 45 minutes on my screen and fixed it (I hope and pray).

First, she was able to get me to a prompt that asked for my product key. (I had of course entered this successfully when I reinstalled in the first place.) But the program then said that key was "invalid." Long story short: the key it wanted was not the FSX key -- it was the "Acceleration" product key. Who knew? You have to give Mickeysoft credit for persisting.

Let's see how long the sim works this time around.

BTW: I copied all my Alabeo planes into the re-installation. They are all there. But some are missing walls in VC, and NONE of them starts with CTRL+E. They blow dirty smoke and then shut down.

Tomorrow, I'll work on that.

Alabeo, like Carenado, must be re-installed NOT copied. Use the original .exe or download an updated one if you bought from Alabeo themselves.

• 8 months later...
I purchased a copy of MS Flight sim X Gold Edition from Amazon a short time ago. I had lost the original copy and ordered this edition from Amazon third party. I have had to do numerous workarounds because of error messages. When I attempted to activate it they indicated that the server was not available and to try again. 3 times later with no activation, I called the support number and they sent me a link to my cell phone to activate it. The link I received requested the first six or seven digit number. My key is 5 combination number and letter groups. I was told by Microsoft that they no longer support. So I have been going around with the seller (Mediaplaysource). Any suggestions?

• 3 months later...