Water texture

slimw

After a long absence, I'm playing with FSX again. I'm having a lot of fun, but I don't really care for the way water is represented. I searched the file library and found five different utilities to modify it. Before trying out all five, I'm hoping someone here can give me an opinion as to which one results in the most realistic look.

Thanks,

Don

Google FSWC - FS Water Configurator has a good selection of preset colors and wave types, or you can create your own. It only works with FSX boxed edition, not steam edition.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks for the reply, Tim. I found this page. On it was this paragraph:

KNOWN ISSUES:

FS Water Configurator's "Clean Install/Service Pack 1" shader version support is broken. There are some unknown issues with the RTM/SP1 shader. Some combinations of slider settings will work, others will not, and the exact reason for this is unknown. The Service Pack 2/Acceleration shader works perfectly.

I don't have service pack 2 or the acceleration shader, so I take it that it won't work for me. Is that correct?

Don

Don - Have you already tried the Display settings in FSX? A configurator might do a better job, but the settings in FSX for water display might just get the display to show better without having to go the configurator route? Just a thought..................

Rick :cool:

Thanks, Rick. I didn't know you could do that. I clicked the customize button on display settings and got to a menu with terrain and water settings. That will be fun to try.

My main complaint is that ponds have waves as big as the ocean. It should have a pond setting and an ocean setting.

I wish FSX had a manual that explained all this.

Don

Thanks, Rick. I didn't know you could do that. I clicked the customize button on display settings and got to a menu with terrain and water settings. That will be fun to try.

My main complaint is that ponds have waves as big as the ocean. It should have a pond setting and an ocean setting.

I wish FSX had a manual that explained all this.

Don

Don - Yes, look for Scenery, and then Water Effects. I live in South Florida so we have the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, and a very large lake in the middle of the state, Lake Okeechobee, so, if those look realistic to me at 4000' I am happy. I can't be adjusting for wave appearances for ponds, as the larger water masses would then look like a pond! Somewhere in those settings you mind find something that works for all?

Rick :cool:

+1 to getting SP2: it's free, a big improvement and essential for most add-ons and utilities like FSWC.

Sent from my 5044Y using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I just want to give a little feedback. I did install SP2 and I downloaded Water Configurator. But, I haven't installed Configurator yet. I may eventually, but after I adjusted the water effects to max the water now looks fine to me.

Thank you very much for the good advice.

Don

Archived