Using Overhead Projectors with Curved Screen

AndyStringy

Well I am very new to all this but I am going to build a full imersive simulator. So how much knowledge do I have? Not much really, I've played FSX on a large flat screen but after watching other peoples builds on youtube, I've realised the only way to go is with a curved screen and short throw projectors. I have the screen build all worked out and am using the frame of a 10 foot trampoline to make a 180 degree screen. My questions to you experienced guys is this..... What is the minimum size room I need to pull this off? How tall does the screen need to be? How far away does the projector go away from the screen and how does the cockpit structure itself not obstruct the throw of the picture? I only have a three room options available to me....

1. GARAGE - plenty of length but a width restriction if around 8 feet, also cold in the winter but i am an airconditioning engineer so i can get round that problem by installing a £300 heat pump system.

2. LOFT - Nice and dark but obvious height restrictions

3. CONSERVATORY - at 12 foot square there is plenty of room but way too much light and not easy to darken it quickly. Also would get proper ear ache from the mrs to sacrifice this room for something so " trivial".

4. SPARE BEDROOM - possibly ideal as it is currently empty and unused and is likey to stay that way but at only 8 foot x 9 foot, possibly too short for even a short thro projector.

So I would be very interested to have your experienced thoughts & ideas. Maybe I am talking utter rubbish and should scrap the idea until i win the lottery!

Thanks in advance

Andy

Archived