Steam now $8.74 thru August 28th !

GBJim

Now you are asking me something that's over my head. I just hit the prompt buttons and down it came to all the default places, and it then shows up in form of a second new icon on your desktop. You can then choose either the old, or new icon whenever you want .

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Jim - How does that work, I could purchase that now and download it when I was ready for it? Is there any time limit in doing the download? Hell of a deal, for sure!

Rick

With Steam the only real limit with downloading is the bandwidth of your internet connection and/or any applicable data caps, if your internet plan is subject to them. You may also re-download as many times as you want, or even install on multiple computers at once (though only one install may be played at once). There is an option to backup the installation files locally so you don't need to re-download them in the future too.

I guess you have no choice other than accepting the download right then and there!

Just this past week, the developer Paul Craig convinced me to download SP1 and SP2. I downloaded SP1 and what a mistake that was. Most of my add-on aircraft that had red or green led instrument number/letters, ended up all distorted. straight lines on panel backgrounds were jagged. I never got to SP2, I ended up uninstalling SP1 and now have everything back to normal. I might hold off for awhile, might regret it. But, I have too many add-on aircraft to chance what Steam may do to them!

Thanks Jim, I have a few days to think this over!

Rick

Thanks loki! Loki, now what about the big controversy about flight sims should be downloaded to

C:\ , not the way the boxed version instructed everyone to download to C:\Program files (X86) ?? Will the download give you the option of giving it the correct path to download to?

For $8.74, how could anyone go wrong on that?

Loki - I have to get off here now for awhile. I'll catch up to you before the 28th. It does sound promising. I know Jim has been very enthusiastic about his going to steam. It might be the time to do this! At least, I could set it up, to run along side of the FSX boxed.

Thanks loki - Rick :cool:

If you haven't installed the Steam Client yet, you can install it to C:\Steam. From there the default install for the sim, and any other purchases from Steam, will be in the SteamApps folder inside this directory. And if you have multiple drives, you can also create additional Steam Library folders on each drive, and choose which one to install games to when downloading them.

Now if you have already installed Steam, you can uninstall it and reinstall to a better location. It is also possible to move the install, as well as any games, using the guide below.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7710-tdlc-0426

Note that installing to the default Program Files(x86) location isn't exactly wrong or fatal. The issue is that because this a is a protected system folder, it is a little harder to edit any files inside it, such as config files. Most if not all freeware add-ons and many commercial one will work okay in the default location, however, some commercial add-ons will have trouble. So rather than crippling Windows security by disabling UAC, the better option is to install the sim elsewhere and prevent any future headaches.

Loki - I have to get off here now for awhile. I'll catch up to you before the 28th. It does sound promising. I know Jim has been very enthusiastic about his going to steam. It might be the time to do this! At least, I could set it up, to run along side of the FSX boxed.

Thanks loki - Rick :cool:

" I could set it up, to run along side of the FSX boxed. " - Exactly !

"

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Very easy...

Steam does not offer any support to help you fix your problem. They only will fix a steam problem.

If the game does not run the only options they offer is to verify your cache files and/or re-install the game. Either way, any tweaks, accomplishments or rewards will be erased if you haven't made a backup. Plus all airports & scenery will have to be reloaded.

Many is the time I had a problem and I usually found the answer for a fix in the forums on this site. With the added benefit of not having to re-install the game.

I do not know about this title, as I do not own the steam version, but in other titles any third party boxed software will not run with the steam version.

As a matter of fact in Rise of Flight, any aircraft you purchased from the company will not work in the steam version & vice versa.

There isn't a workshop associated with this title, so help from members there will be very limited.

If you have an extensive library of third party add-ons, don't assume they will work. But know that steam will not help in getting them to work, as they advertise with other titles.

If you are a new user or one who just has the basic game, then you can pick up many aircraft & airports cheap when they on sale, like now.

You will not see any improvement in graphics in the basic game. I have yet to see any third party scenery titles like Rex or MegaSceneryEarth for sale. Maybe another member can chime in on this point.

All I can say is, be careful & use due diligence in making the switch.....

Hi can I step in here with a quick question.

I have the FSX boxed edition installed but I have seen the steam edition as mentioned above.

My question is whether the steam edition offers any improvement in general running speed/quality over the boxed set or is future development the main reason to purchase. Have done some searching and most of the video opinions are a few years old now and seem largely to concentrate on the future development aspects of steam.

Thanks in advance

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Chris

None. Neither in quality nor general running speed.

All steam did was incorporate the program into their extremely convoluted directory system. Just so they can track your gaming habits for marketing purposes.

From what I understand, Dovetail Games acquired the rights from MS & is using steams' marketing clout to make money off the product.

They did try to publish a new flight sim based on this title, but it had problems getting off the ground.

Most of this occurred in my absence from FSX, that is why I am sketchy on details...

Hope this helps...

Very easy...

Steam does not offer any support to help you fix your problem. They only will fix a steam problem.

Support for games is meant to be provided by the game's developer or publisher, Dovetail in the case of FSX SE, not Steam. Steam itself is just the online storefront and is only responsible for the Steam client and processing payments. One would not expect Amazon, for example, to provide support for a game bought through their site.

If the game does not run the only options they offer is to verify your cache files and/or re-install the game. Either way, any tweaks, accomplishments or rewards will be erased if you haven't made a backup. Plus all airports & scenery will have to be reloaded.

Many, if not most Steam games support cloud saves that will backup this info. Otherwise, yes, you will need to backup your data. In the case of FSX Steam Edition, the files created are in the same place as the boxed edition.

Many is the time I had a problem and I usually found the answer for a fix in the forums on this site. With the added benefit of not having to re-install the game.

Which is no different than the boxed edition. There is often little need to re-install the sim if there's a problem.

I do not know about this title, as I do not own the steam version, but in other titles any third party boxed software will not run with the steam version.

As a matter of fact in Rise of Flight, any aircraft you purchased from the company will not work in the steam version & vice versa.

There isn't a workshop associated with this title, so help from members there will be very limited.

If you have an extensive library of third party add-ons, don't assume they will work. But know that steam will not help in getting them to work, as they advertise with other titles.

If you are a new user or one who just has the basic game, then you can pick up many aircraft & airports cheap when they on sale, like now.

Yes, you obviously aren't familiar with this title. As has been stated many times before in these forums, Almost all existing add-ons for FSX will work with the Steam Edition.

You will not see any improvement in graphics in the basic game. I have yet to see any third party scenery titles like Rex or MegaSceneryEarth for sale. Maybe another member can chime in on this point.

All I can say is, be careful & use due diligence in making the switch.....

While nothing Earth shattering, there have been updates and fixes made to the Steam Edition. One of the big ones being the replacement of the defunct Gamespy based multiplayer.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/496881136926977562/

And there is also no need to completely switch either as both the boxed and Steam editions can be installed at the same time.

Here is the list of updates to the Steam Edition. Dovetail was prevented from making any significant updates, fixes or enhancements to the Steam Edition. They really only acquired the distribution rights for FSX and made the changes needed to make it available through Steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/496881136926977562/

Overall no, there aren't any major changes compared to the boxed edition, and if your current install is working there is little reason to change. On the other hand, the boxed edition is out of print and becoming harder to come by every day. This means anyone looking to buy the sim for the first time has to go with Steam, and if the discs in your boxed edition fail for some reason, Steam is almost always the cheapest option to replace it.

Don't make a mistake for 8.74$. Buy and install FSX-Steam and forget FSX Boxed.

As stated by Loki, the changes allowed by MS to Dovetail have resulted in a FSX "plug and play", no more need of tweaks, Bojote, Kosta and all tricks. Only adjust the settings for the video card.

It is not necessary to be the NASA technical director to use everything you have from the boxed version in the steam one.

Steam games install to Steam's folder. You can specify where they install in the Steam client settings. I've got mine pointed at f:\games\steam\

Once you buy a product on Steam, you can download it as many times as you want, whenever you want, for free (unlike certain Flightsim shops that will remain nameless ;) ). I even have some old defunct online-only titles that I could still download if I wanted to.

You can even legally install it on multiple computers, unlike most boxed software, because Steam will only let your account use any one game on one machine at a time.

All in all, it works pretty well.

+1 shadowfaxcrx and Loki

There's some superstitious nonsense about FSX:SE and Steam in this thread.

If you've modified any settings or files in either the boxed edition OR Steam edition, you BACK THEM UP if you've got any sense.

Repairing a damaged install via the Steam system is a damned sight quicker and less painful than trying to do it yourself - I've been there and done it with several Steam games. Just copy and paste your BACKED UP mods after Verifying\Repairing through Steam and you're good as new.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

@ loki,

Your quotes are not saying anything different than what I said. I stated I did not own or know anything about the steam version. Other than there is not any difference is speed or quality.

I have been away from the this title for a long time, but what I observed on the steam forums wasn't anything much in the way of support. I also related Dovetail Games was the publisher. Again, I did not see them answering many of the requests for help in the steam forums.

As a matter of fact, there are quite a few requests for help for the steam version on this & other FSX forums.

And I have seen some of the other publishers in their round-robin blame game with steam as to who is responsible for the game not functioning properly or at all.

Other than making FSX accessible to steam online, does Dovetail run any servers and/or make any additional code available to owners of the boxed version so that they can play online?

Will Dovetail offer any support to owners of the boxed version?

I do thank you for the information that both the steam & boxed version are interchangeable. I seem to have missed those posts relating to that fact. From what I have seen on steam most of the titles are not interchangeable.

Presents some interesting possibilities....

Respectfully.....

P.S. Do not take this as confrontational. I am only trying to get some answers to questions posed....

Dovetail are under no obligation to support the FSX boxed version in any way, in fact their Steam Edition uses its own version of Simconnect which means that some FSX add-ons have to be adapted by their developers especially for FSX:SE.

As a result, some add-ons aren't compatible with FSX:SE such as FS Water Configurator, Aerosoft AES and Contrails Pro, but if you don't use those add-ons you won't miss them.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Dovetail are under no obligation to support the FSX boxed version in any way, in fact their Steam Edition uses its own version of Simconnect which means that some FSX add-ons have to be adapted by their developers especially for FSX:SE.

As a result, some add-ons aren't compatible with FSX:SE such as FS Water Configurator, Aerosoft AES and Contrails Pro, but if you don't use those add-ons you won't miss them.

I have yet to see even 1 Developer have to update their product for FSX:SE. Can you please show a post where they had to do that? I have all those and they all installed in with no problems and worked.

@ loki,

Your quotes are not saying anything different than what I said. I stated I did not own or know anything about the steam version. Other than there is not any difference is speed or quality.

I have been away from the this title for a long time, but what I observed on the steam forums wasn't anything much in the way of support. I also related Dovetail Games was the publisher. Again, I did not see them answering many of the requests for help in the steam forums.

No, there aren't any major enhancements to the Steam Edition. However, some of the fixes included do make a new install easier, such as the inclusion of the uiautomationcore.dll file and highmem tweak to prevent those types of issues/crashes, for example. And as the sim was recompiled with a more recent compiler, there may be be small performance improvements for some too, though nothing to write home for most people. See the change log for what was updated and fixed.

My main point was to make it clear to people who is responsible for support of the Steam Edition. Many people confuse the relationship between Microsoft, Dovetail and Steam. Your original post made no mention of Dovetail and gave the impression that Steam was responsible for more than just the sale and download of the sim.

If someone wants support for the Steam Edition, they should contact Dovetail's support per their website. The Steam forums are much like the forums here in that they are basically community run and there is no requirement for the developer or publisher to participate.

https://fsxinsider.com/customer-support/

https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-steam-edition

As a matter of fact, there are quite a few requests for help for the steam version on this & other FSX forums.

And I have seen some of the other publishers in their round-robin blame game with steam as to who is responsible for the game not functioning properly or at all.

Yes, there are plenty of requests for help here, and in other forums, and there has been since the sim came out. Many help requests for the Steam Edition are the same as those for the boxed edition, covering things such missing add-ons, add-on installation, configuration etc. There are plenty of people here willing to help.

As for problems with other games on Steam, well there are good developers and publishers, and there are bad ones. Generally when it comes to problems, we only hear about the bad ones. Steam themselves have gotten a lot better with refunds if you run into too much trouble.

Other than making FSX accessible to steam online, does Dovetail run any servers and/or make any additional code available to owners of the boxed version so that they can play online?

Will Dovetail offer any support to owners of the boxed version?

As for the boxed edition, Microsoft has clearly defined support periods for all of their products, which FSX is well past at this point, and Dovetail did not inherit any additional responsibility here. And when it comes to software updates, Dovetail was only permitted to do what was necessary to distribute the sim through Steam. If one wants to make use of the fixed multiplayer functionality, they will need to purchase and install the Steam Edition.

I do thank you for the information that both the steam & boxed version are interchangeable. I seem to have missed those posts relating to that fact. From what I have seen on steam most of the titles are not interchangeable.

Presents some interesting possibilities....

Respectfully.....

P.S. Do not take this as confrontational. I am only trying to get some answers to questions posed....

Being compatible with the boxed edition was a key requirement in the deal between Microsoft and Dovetail, which Dovetail themselves clarified from the beginning. What happens with other games on Steam is largely irrelevant to FSX. Each developer and publisher can, and often will, handle things differently when it comes to Steam.

Hope this helps.

Archived