Looking for a time-keeper. (One that tells me how long the pc was on that day.)

il88pp

I just thought of a software I would like to have. A timer. That starts running when I turn the computer on. And remembers the "up-time".

I think I spend a bit too much time behind the pc lately...

The goal is to know how long the pc has been on that day. And to give a warning when a limit is passed.

Does anyone know of a good freeware timer like that I could use?

If the pc has been on for an hour, the timer must know. And when the pc is turned off, the timer must store this 1 hour amount.

then, when the pc is turned on again, it should start counting again from 1 hour.

and so on.

I imagine something like this:

I set a limit at for example 3 hours a day.

If the time is not reached, the timer shows the up-time in a green bar.

When the 3 hours is reached, the bar keeps on counting but turns red.

Best if I could also choose the time of day at which the counter resets to zero.

For example at 04:00 AM.

Thanks!

il88pp.:cool:

For example looking like this:

timekeeper - Under.jpg

And later showing:

timekeeper - OVER.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Toggl Desktop for Windows

In this article: tracking time, grouped mode, manual mode, editing, collapse/expand, drag-and-drop, load more, settings, idle detection, Pomodoro timer, timeline, default project, proxy, autotracker, reminders, cogwheel icon links, mini timer, and keyboard shortcuts.

Toggl Desktop for Windows is a native Windows application that can be installed on your computer. It works seamlessly with the web version of Toggl, syncing data on the fly. Toggl Desktop works also offline. It stores data locally and sends it to the Toggl server once you’re back online.

Click here to download the app (requires x64 Windows 7 or newer). Toggl Desktop is automatically installed to the user directory so that it can be used without admin privileges. The app cannot be installed inside the Program Files directory.

Tracking Time

Click on Start button to start tracking time.

Click on the description field (left of the Start button) to add details to your time entry (project, description, etc).

Autocomplete function will help you out by offering you already typed in words. Autocomplete works in all time entry edit fields.

The app can display each time entry individually or as time entry groups. Enable/disable the “Group similar time entries” option on Profile page. More details about time entry grouping.

TogglDesktop with time entry grouping enabled

Adding Time Manually

Click on the cogwheel menu icon and choose “Use manual mode”.

Editing Entries

Click on the entry to open up editing window.

To save changes close editing window from x (top right) or click on desktop timer window.

To add new projects click on the “Add new project” link.

To delete a time entry click on the trashcan icon in the lower right corner of the edit window. Or right click on the entry > choose ‘Delete time entry’.

To continue a time entry, click on the gray arrow next to the time entry.

edit-entry

Timer Screen Features

TIPS:

If your timer window is looking too cluttered, right-click on a time entry and choose ‘Collapse all days’. The right click also reveals an option to expand all entries or to delete that particular entry. Click here to see a GIF of this in action.

Use the drag-and-drop function to rearrange your data and move an entry under a different date. Please note that this method can only be used for moving time entries – time entry groups can’t be dragged-and-dropped. Click here to see drag and drop in action.

To resize the app grab one of the edges with your mouse and drag it inwards or outwards. It basically works the same as with any other Windows app.

To display more time entries scroll to the bottom and click on the “Load More” button.

Settings

To open the Settings section click on the cogwheel menu icon and choose Preferences. You can also access the area by right-clicking the Toggl icon inside the system tray.

Settings – General Tab

Idle detection notifies you of the time that you’ve been inactive/away from the keyboard. You can change the duration of being inactive after which alert gets displayed. After the notification has popped up, you can decide whether to keep the time, discard it, add the time as a new entry, or discard the idle time and continue the Timer.

Pomodoro timer – set up notifications that will let you know that it’s time to take a break. Tick the ‘Pomodoro Timer’ option to enable it and set your preferred interval. If time is up, a sound is played and a notification pops up to let you know you’ve done well and deserve to take a break.

Record timeline – if you enable this feature, all websites and programs that you view for longer than 10 seconds will be recorded. You can read more about this feature here.

On top of other windows – orders the desktop app to appear always on top.

Keyboard shortcuts section ables you to record the preferred keyboard combination to customize your work flow.

Default project setting – pick one project that you use the most. This project will be automatically filled in each time you start a time-entry without a project. If needed you can still change the project for both running and stopped time-entries.

Change duration when changing start time – choose if you’d prefer the duration to be preserved when editing your data.

Settings – Proxy Tab

Configure proxy settings if you happen to be behind a proxy. If you tick the “Use system proxy settings” checkbox, Toggl Desktop will use the same proxy settings you have set up for your system.

Settings – AutoTracker Tab

Define applications or keywords and projects they connect to. If an application with the keyword is in the foreground it triggers the AutoTracker. When the autotracker is triggered it shows you a notification and asks if you would like to track time under the project you chose:

win_02-16_autotracker

Settings – Reminder Tab

Reminders are really useful when getting started with tracking time. They help you develop the actual habit of tracking time. Under the Reminders tab you can choose how often the reminder will pop up; choose the weekdays you want to be notified (no more Sunday reminders!). You can also choose the time of day when you want to be reminded to start working.

Cogwheel Menu Options

Use mini timer – enables a persistent mini timer that displays information about the time entry currently running. The mini timer will always be on top of all other windows.

mini-timer

Sync – to manually force syncing. It’s needed if there’s trouble with the live sync. If not, the app syncs itself automatically within seconds.

Reports – the link will take you to your Summary Report in the web app.

Clear Cache – this comes in handy when the local database has become corrupt or has some erroneous data in it. This can happen when application upgrade fails, computer has suddenly crashed or computer hard disk is faulty or full. Please note that before clicking on Clear Cache it’s important to check if all your time entries have been saved to webapp.

Send Feedback – this is a great way to reach Toggl Support team straight from the app. Don’t hesitate to use it to report issues, submit questions or feedback.

The About link – gives you information about which desktop app version you’re using. From the About pop up window you’re also able to switch to developer’s or beta channel.

Logout – logs the user out and sends you back to the log in page.

Quit – use to exit the application; you’re able to continue your session without having to log in.

Keyboard Shortcuts

Toggl Desktop sports several keyboard shortcuts for fast time entry:

Ctrl-N creates a new time entry and displays Toggl Desktop window

Ctrl-D changes between timer and manual mode

Ctrl-S stops a running time entry

Ctrl-O continues a previous time entry

Ctrl-E open running entry in edit popup. This can also be used to immediately edit an Entry created with Ctrl-N.

Ctrl-W minimise app to tray

Ctrl-R sync data

Ctrl-V (when no text-box is focused) start timer with clipboard text as description

Also there are context specific shortcuts to make moving around inside the app more easy:

Switching between timer and Time entry listing

SHIFT+DOWN – Focuses the Time entry listing

ESC –

If the edit popup is opened it always closes the popup (event if listing is focused).

If edit popup is not opened and entries list is focused it will switch the focus to Timer.

Moving inside Time entries listing

UP/DOWN – switch between selected time entry

ENTER – open the edit view of selected time entry

SPACE – continue the selected time entry

BACKSPACE – delete the selected time entry

Collapse/expand data

LEFT ARROW – collapses current day’s time entries

RIGHT ARROW – opens all time entries for the day

SHIFT+LEFT ARROW – collapses all days

SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW – expands all days

Toggl Desktop is an open source project. You’re welcome to help us by submitting pull requests, bug reports or feature requests to our Github page – https://github.com/toggl/toggldesktop/

Thanks. I had a look around too and found a few more like that. Meant for keeping track of employees. Usually you have to view the result online.

But these all seem like more pc time. Too complex. My goal is to spend less time behind the pc. And for something fully offline.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Found a simple solution. My old analog chess clock.

I set the left clock to 2.5 hrs pc time, and the right clock to 2.5 hours "pc is on but I'm not there" time.

When the flag falls on either side, I low it's time to turn the thing off. If the left flag falls I've spent too much time on it. If the right flag falls I'm not actively using it, maybe busy with other things. Time to turn it off too, as it's just a distraction.

:D il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived