Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wow..

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Quote Originally Posted by avallillo View Post

For me, the part I find most fascinating is how did he manage to get to the runway without being blocked by vehicles? All airports that size have one or more duty officers patrolling at all times in a vehicle of some sort.....
    His taxi was a relatively short one.

Those duty officers you speak of would only act when informed there was an issue.

As I understand it, nobody knew this was an unauthorized movement until he was lined up on the runway. Too late to do anything at that point.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bgm1961 View Post
    If it turns out that this guy as a flight simmer, with a model of the aircraft on his system, is there any concern here about the spotlight that will put on this hobby? Understandably, once said and done, the concern then moves onto about how this could happen again, except by terrorists. And if this guy was able to gain enough knowledge to do what he did just by flying a flight sim, then I can see this hobby coming under a lot of scrutiny, and possibly some regulation.

It's already happening in the radio control flying community. The rapid rise of drones and the potential danger they pose, has put a spotlight on recreational drone flying, and by extension, to the entire R/C hobby. There's already been testimony presented in Washington DC in favor of limiting radio control flying activity to approved locations only, and then under certain altitudes only.

So as the R/C hobby is feeling some heat due to activity it's related to - activity which also happens to enable terrorists - then I can only assume that the Flight Sim hobby will soon feel the same sort of pressure.

Thoughts?
    Couple of things.

The 9/11 hijackers used FS to help train for their acts. So FS was not under scrutiny then and may never be under scrutiny. That's like Congress outlawing Grand Thft Auto because of people stealing cars, or outlawing Call Of Duty or some other FPS/ secret operative game that teaches tactics, etc.

About drones. The mass commercial drones have in their on-board chip locations it won't fly. So if you're near an airport it shouldn't take off the ground or come near the field all based on GPS and that other Russian GPS system called GLONASS. But there are ways so I'm not going to talk about that. For the most part, the military, Homeland Security, the Secret Service and God knows who else have devised ways of taking done or disabling a drone. Much of that is probably classified.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

3. Default

Future maintenance operations should perhaps use a tire lock like for cars. But then again you are relying on someone with internal privileges who has the clearance necessary like this fellow. It's a hard one to prevent it is. Anything else involves a lot of money, time and logistics and I don't think airports, cites and the paying customer is willing to fit the bill.

I remember several years ago a pretty smart young dude on the run from the law stole a plane (might have been a Cessna) and took off to crash land somewhere. I think it was Florida. He did survive though. It wasn't a suicide mission but only a method to run from the law. If I can remember right he also stole a boat as well.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Here is a youtube video of the plane to ground conversations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLmF9tZoEE

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

5. Default

And as the title says, wow!

But very sad. Man.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2