FS 2004 will not run on Windows 7 and 10

begyfly

FS2004 ran on early Windows 7 but would not do so on the later versions (ie after numerous updates by Microsoft). When I converted to Windows 10 it would still not run. FS2004 was my greatest loss but Wings of Prey, Ill Sturmovitch and Warthog A10 also ceased to function. My $70 package of English scenery by Just Flight also ceased to function in FSX. The makers of all these additional failures were unable to help me. There seems to be no problem with my computer because Xplanes 11, Ill Sturmovitch 2, Rise of flight and WWIIB17 Missions all work properly.

Please advise if there is any solution to my problem.

Brian Young

FS2004 runs very well on all updates of Win 7 and thus far all updates of Win 10. I can even run the old Win 95/98 game called Transport Tycoon on Win 7, but it runs insanely fast and the window is very small.

May be a solution to the speed on the net if you still want to play it without going to virtual machines etc. Screen size can also likely be changed with your graphics card settings. Games of that era often ran max resolution of 800x600 or 1024x768 which on modern screens is tiny. You can scale them up at the cost of sharpness. I'm running games from the last 40 years on Win 7 one way or the other, it's a great OS for the old stuff.

Mark Daniels

To get Fs2004 working...

1. Install in C:\ NOT in its default Program Files directory

2. Run in XP Compatibility mode

3. Run as Administrator

Right click the FS9.exe, Properties & you will find where to do the compatibility & Admin setting.

Works every time.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

To John Rgby2

KB3086255 can be deleted from Windows 7. I have Windows 10 and the U-tube advisor tells me that it cannot be deleted from Windows 10, so I am locked out of some games. However some people report that all their games run OK on Windows 10, so there must be some other reason for my exclusion.

Thanks to VSWobbie1

I moved fs2004 from Program Files F86 and put it in the C main File, as you suggested. When I attempted a start, it sent me a message to download Games Driver which I did and the program ran satisfactory.

Brian Young

... I can even run the old Win 95/98 game called Transport Tycoon on Win 7, but it runs insanely fast and the window is very small.

Get the open source version - OpenTTD. Created with the blessing of Chris Sawyer, it has been updated over the years and has many new features - larger maps, new switching options for railroads, optional models/graphics for different trains and aircraft, larger airports with multiple runways, high res and wide screen. I've run it on XP, Vista, and W7 with no problems.

https://www.openttd.org/en/

Archived