Need help

Prostock

FSX & CFS 1. First, I can't find an FA-18 Hornet to DL. All I find is textures. I have stock FSX and it does not have an F-18 Hornet. I like to play missions and I dl'd Hawaiian 18 mission pack & it does not include the aircraft for the missions to work. Any help would be appreciated. Combat Flight Simulator 1, the first one....... My Microsoft Extreme 3-D Pro will not work. Game says my controller has changed to some crazy language. I'm able to calibrate it and it shows the correct name of controller but when I choose a plane, the plane is spinning very fast so I know there's a problem. When I try to fly any plane, the controller does not work at all. The Keyboard works fine. I'm able to use my controller in FSX so it's not the controller. HELP. Thank you Operating System Windows 10.

Mrzippy. Thank you for your help. I dl'd an FA-18C which took forever because there's over 4000 files in each download. I tried to install and get it to work. I spend 2 hours trying. I was able to get an F-18 in the game but it's invisible. I know I need to add textures but have no idea how with so many files contained in the dl. There is no Read Me file to direct what to do with all the file folders. If you could help further, that would be great.

Mr, Prostock, it sounds like you don't have Acceleration added to your FSX. Without it, the FSDT Hornet won't work. At all.

How many downloads did you get, anyway? You have FSX and CFS. The Hornet is only for FSX and P3D, so you should have only gotten 1 download from that page. The V18.3, OR the V17.31. You only need one. There's so many files because there's a ton of different paints for this bird. 84, iirc.

Having said all that, without the F-18.dll that comes with the default Acceleration Hornet, the plane just won't function. No matter what else you might load.

I am sorry for raining on your parade, but unless you get the Acceleration pack for FSX, or buy FSX:SE, you're SOH. Stuff outta hornet.

There may be some other 3rd party Hornet you can use, but you won't have any landable carriers, I believe, nor will you be able to do that Hawaiian mission you got. I wager if you read it's Readme, it will specify FSX Acceleration is required.

In this day and age, with FSX and it's SP's being so expensive, it would be cheaper to just go ahead and wait for a sale, and buy FSX:SE.

But hey, that's just my opinion, and we all know about those.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Pat is correct about the proper operation of this FA-18. I have the model C and it does fly OK. There should be 3 or 4 folders in each download and all should be put into your Simobjects/Airplanes folder. Only 1 of those folders has all of the info for the basic plane to show correctly.

Without Acceleration, the displays won't work and I have found no FA-18 Hornet that is compatible with FSX SP1 and SP2.

FA18.JPG

f18.JPG

F18-1.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thank you for your response. I have been out of the FSX "game" for many years. I just recently re-installed it after at least 5 years. So I gather that if I purchase the Acceleration pack, I'll be able to play the F/18 Missions?

Thank you for your response. I have been out of the FSX "game" for many years. I just recently re-installed it after at least 5 years. So I gather that if I purchase the Acceleration pack, I'll be able to play the F/18 Missions?

Probably so! You may have to look around EBay for a used Acceleration disc and hope for the best. The other choice is to wait for FSX-SE "Steam Edition" to go on sale for $10 or under.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Microsoft stopped selling fsx and the acceleration disk 3 or 4 years ago. Basically there disks are now completely sold out everywhere. And buying used copies is useless, because then the seller has the licence code written down. If if also has a (copy of) the disk, he can reinstall it and make things very difficult for you.

(actually the licence even forbids selling your (used) fsx on.)

when Microsoft stopped selling fsx a company called Dovetail bought a licence to sell it.

They sell it under the name "Fsx Steam Edition". Is the exact same as fsx Acceleration. Comes as a download, not a disk. (there is a disk you can buy, but that gives access to download the game. It's meant for people that don't have a way of paying that is accepted on the Dovetail site.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, so is there an ETA on when Steam will offer FSXSE on sale? I just dl'd steam client on my PC, I had it years ago but forgot most of what I knew about it. Since FSX-SE is going to be offered for only $10, to me that sounds like there isn't much interest in the game. I am looking just to dl missions & play off line but if the Steam Edition is actually Fun, I may purchase it. Do you guys play on steam & what's your general take on it? Thank you One more question. What is SP-1 & SP-2 ?

I don't know about steam sales. But you can always buy it for the normal price if you want.

Steam is the same as fsx acceleration. So the fsx you have now, plus the f18 and some more planes. And some other enhancements that acceleration brought to fsx.

Dovetail has a licence to sell it. Not to develop it further. So it is simply fsx acceleration.

Only two things are different. In steam. The multiplayer server links to a working server online. The server the disk version linked to was taken offline. Other thing is that a file called "uiautomationcore.dll" is already included. For the disk version you have to download that file yourself and install it in the fsx folder.

So no serious changes to the game itself at all.

To play steam you don't have to be connected to steam. You have to download and install the game. But then you can set the steam client to let you play it without connecting to steam at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSX:SE is...just...FSX. Fun? Depends on you, I'd think.

If you enjoy buzzing around the world in airplanes, helicopters, heck, destroyers and hovercraft for that matter, the FSX:SE is just exactly as fun as FSX Boxed. The edition that comes on discs, as you're used to.

I got FSX:SE the day it came out, on sale, for $5.00, and I've pretty much forgotten my FS2004. I LOVE flying the FSX BA Hornet, doing Carrier Quals in it, bombing missions, you name it. I avoid the various and sundry "missions" that come with FSX or that can be added on. Too restrictive. If I feel like going up and doing BFM alone, or chasing down a 737, I can do it. Missions are just too restrictive for me.

But that's me. If you enjoy them, then by all means, knock yourself out. :D

SP1 and SP2 are Service Packs, as Microsoft calls them. Additions to FSX that you can install that, theoretically, make it better somehow. Since I never owned FSX Boxed, just FS2004, I have no idea how they affect FSX. I DO know that a LOT of add-ons available, especially ships and their associated gear, like the F/A-18, for example, require Acceleration be added to FSX. Of course, many, many add-ons require FSUIPC, and Simconnect, be installed too, so...

FSX:SE comes with all that installed, SP1, SP2, and Acceleration, so you don't have to go through any installation order, or activation woes. Things like that.

Very important thing to remember, ESPECIALLY if you have Windows10, is to NOT install FSX, or FSX:SE, into it's default installation location. IE: C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (X86). If you do, and I've heard both the "no trouble here" and "It's totally unusable" camps report, IMO, you're just asking for trouble later. Just change the install path to C:\ when you go to install it, or wherever you like, just not the two "evil" folders.

Just watch the FSPilotshop on this forum's motherpage, or your Steam updates. They'll let you know of upcoming sales, and the prices involved. By the way, your assumption the "if the price is low, it's not very popular" is erroneous. The opposite is true, actually. It's SO popular, that they're doing enough sales volume to be able to lower the price without loosing income. Heck, look at the top page of this forum, that shows the list of all the various forms, you'll see that FSX generally has a lot of folks watching/posting in it than the other simulators. I believe that that's an indication of the relative popularities, but what do I know.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

There are too many choices for FSX-SE. Not sure which is the best. This one "Buy Microsoft FSX Steam Edition + -Embraer E-Jets 175 & 195 Add-On" is 50% off for $24.98. This one "Buy Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition" is $24.98 also. Don't know the difference. I guess the first one is a bundle & the second is stand alone game. Very confusing. Anyway, thanks for the help

Thanks Pat, very helpful info there. Yes, I have Windows 10 & like I said, recently installed box edition FSX to C:\Program Files (X86) and knock on wood, all works fine. As for FSX-SE, If I dl that, I think I would install in the same folder, not sure how it would work otherwise, I'm not good with figuring things out hence I'm asking in this forum for help. I'll think it over & figure it out with help from all of you. Thanks again

It looks like the first is the game plus a payware aircraft included.

There are many free aircraft available.

There are also a few available that cost money.

And the sales. no. they happen once in a while. You can ask to be put on a "notify me" list on Steam.

But, the next sale could easily be next year.

Decide if you want to wait untill the cows come home... or just want to play.

Ps. I'm not sure if Pat was implying otherwise, but, FSX Steam Edition really is the exact same game as FSX-Acceleration that came on disks. Same planes, Same scenery, Same everything.

(I never said it is "just fsx". I said it is "just FSX-Acceleration". )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And, take it slow. You just started again. Play fsx for a while. Use some freeware planes from this forum, or from the net.

Think it all over for a while.

No need to stress out and make hurried choices just over an F18.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Installing it to a different folder than the default: It's not a problem at all. All add-ons will install to it, and function just fine. Mine is located on my D:\ drive, if that helps you any. All you need to do is when it asks where to install it, change what's there already, the default, to whatever you like. In my case, I did that. Changed it to D:\. Haven't had a bit-o-trouble with it. At all.

Just thought you'd like to know :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IL88PP - Thanks for your input, very helpful. I've been playing with planes that came in the game as well as a few I dl'd. The most fun I have with this "game", is dl'ing missions and flying them. I will probably find a used acceleration add on disc on the net & just buy that. I already have FSX Deluxe Edition which is good enough for what I do. I remember there are a few planes included with FSX that won't work unless I copy and paste some folders & air files from other planes. Is there a thread on how to do that on this site somewhere? Thanks again

There is a help section link somewhere on the site, on every page probably, but I can never find it somehow.

Besides, I don't think that subject is covered in it.

You might find there a list of what a plane needs in general, and a bit about why.

You can then check what's missing in yours.

The 'no .air file' makes me think you are downloading repaints. Those should be installed by adding the paint to a plane. And you may be adding the plane parts to the paint. That way you could end up with two copies of the same plane, each in it's own folder. Better to have one copy of the plane, and to install both paints to it.

Or you may be installing fs2004 planes. Those have files that refer to the correct panel folder and such. Folders of default planes. But, fs2004 planes. That are not in fsx.

So in fsx you you will need to get creative to get then working.

You should look for planes in the library marked 'fsx' or marked fs2004-fsx.

Those fs2004-fsx ones are fs2004 planes converted to fsx. Some include a folder named 'fsx' that have an aircraft.cfg file and such that you need to install when using the file in fsx.

Almost all fs2004 files that could be converted, have been converted. And can now be found as 'fs2004-fsx' plane or simply marked as 'fsx'.

Welcome to the site. :)

have fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you again. So I dl'd this FSX version of the Lufthansa 5 Starhansa Boeing 747-800i. In the read me it says "This is a complete and perfect flyable aircraft with panel and sounds , using the defaults of the Boeing 747". Problem I'm having with this one is when in cockpit view, there is no panel. It does contain a panel folder with information in it with the aircraft folder..... Any suggestions? I emailed the maker to see if he can help, waiting to hear. Thanks again & Yes, I'm having fun. Brian

Having another problem. I dl'd and installed a mission and then uninstalled it & deleted it. The problem is: When I launch the game, I get an error message: "Scenery CFG File Error. Invalid Remote Scenery Path in Scenery Area. 115. Click OK to Continue". I'm able to click ok and play the game without problem but seeing that error & having to click OK to get passed it is annoying. Any Ideas how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance.

Hi Prostock,

It is highly likely that the mission pack you have now uninstalled using an uninstaller or just deleting its folder had placed and activated in your scenery library (more specifically the "Addon Scenery" folder a scenery for that mission pack. If the uninstaller simply removed the scenery from this folder without you first unchecking its activated checkbox and deleting it from the scenery library then this would be the reason for the error message. I would suggest that you reinstall the mission pack then Start the sim then deactivate and remove the associated scenery from the Scenery Library then exit the sim. Then Retry uninstalling the mission pack, mind you uninstallers of this nature can be unreliable because of the very thing you experienced. (Missing scenery area or Invalid Scenery Path)

Another suggestion if the above fails to eliminate the error message, would be to flush the contents of the SceneryIndexes folder, found in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes select & remove all .dat files from within this folder (save them to a safe location in a folder on your desktop if you wish, then delete them later when the error is cleared). FSX will create new SceneryIndex data next time the Sim is started, the error should be cleared.

I am just getting back and read the thread. I have Fsx:steam and included with it is the F18.

F18.jpg

And if you want to purchase simulator, the one to purchase at this time,IMHO, would be this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/7124/FSX_Steam_Edition_247_Enhancement_Bundle/

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Archived