FSX planes in P3D v 4.3

johnost

So I bought the latest version of P3D with the intent of replacing FSX-SE. Everything seems to work fine, but I am missing passenger jets. Being uncertain about total airplane compatibility with FSX, I tried porting the Cessna 172 from FSX to P3D, and everything worked fine. I then ported all the original planes from FSX including the Airplane folders, the contents of the Gauges folder, and the contents of the Effects folder to their respective folders in P3D. In the latter two exercises Windows listed many duplicate files, which I marked to skip installation.

To my surprise everything seems to work OK except for one item: The B747 after takeoff will fly normally for 1-10 minutes under manual or AP control, and will then suddenly nose up steeply, stall, spin and crash. This has happened on every one of half a dozen flights, but never when flying it in FSX. There is no indication of anything else happening when this anomaly occurs. Has anyone had similar experience or have any idea what difference(s) between the two sims could cause this?

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

So I bought the latest version of P3D with the intent of replacing FSX-SE. Everything seems to work fine, but I am missing passenger jets. Being uncertain about total airplane compatibility with FSX, I tried porting the Cessna 172 from FSX to P3D, and everything worked fine. I then ported all the original planes from FSX including the Airplane folders, the contents of the Gauges folder, and the contents of the Effects folder to their respective folders in P3D. In the latter two exercises Windows listed many duplicate files, which I marked to skip installation.

To my surprise everything seems to work OK except for one item: The B747 after takeoff will fly normally for 1-10 minutes under manual or AP control, and will then suddenly nose up steeply, stall, spin and crash. This has happened on every one of half a dozen flights, but never when flying it in FSX. There is no indication of anything else happening when this anomaly occurs. Has anyone had similar experience or have any idea what difference(s) between the two sims could cause this?

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

FSX aircraft will work up to P3Dv3.

From P3dV4 they won't (64-bit simulator versus 32-bit) and may cause problems with the simulator if you do.

In P3Dv4 addon aircraft should NOT be added to the SimObjects file.

Would you put Mini tyres on your Rolls Royce...?

FSX is NOT P3dV4.

Well - what can I say. The FSX planes - except the B747 - work in my P3D v4.3 just as they do in FSX. Don't forget that I ported the 32-bit Gauge and Effect files over to the same folders in P3D, and a 64-bit operating system can work with 32-bit files as far as I know.

The OS doesn't mind 32bit executables, but P3D V4 does. It will not load 32bit DLL based gauges. You can check by activating the content error log in the P3D General settings, this will create a file listing all the content that P3D does not accept.

Lockheed has delivered some of the original 32bit gauges in a 64 bit variant. That is why the default FSX planes (kind of) fly. But all other addon aircraft that rely on their own 32bit DLL gauges will not work.

Well - what can I say. The FSX planes - except the B747 - work in my P3D v4.3 just as they do in FSX. Don't forget that I ported the 32-bit Gauge and Effect files over to the same folders in P3D, and a 64-bit operating system can work with 32-bit files as far as I know.

You can say `Oops` and make a note of all non-compatible .dll's for the inevitable reinstall.

You can say 'Ah!' for the fact that the easy reinstall method won't work because incompatible dll's and other software are being installed into the wrong directory preventing the usual client .msi install avoiding a complete re-do of the whole enchilada - or perhaps just try reading the instructions so you don't have to come back to us when it all collapses in a steaming, putrid mess...

How can you say things `work as they do in FSX?` Do you know the inner workings of each of the faulty .dll's. As evm suggests the very easy solution is to activate the content error log under the P3D General menu. That should be clear enough representation of mini wheels on your Roller...

the old FSX se planes do not "work" in P3D4. They may show up, they may load and some may even fly for a bit but you are asking for trouble. They are not compatible.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

The OS doesn't mind 32bit executables, but P3D V4 does. It will not load 32bit DLL based gauges. You can check by activating the content error log in the P3D General settings, this will create a file listing all the content that P3D does not accept.

Lockheed has delivered some of the original 32bit gauges in a 64 bit variant. That is why the default FSX planes (kind of) fly. But all other addon aircraft that rely on their own 32bit DLL gauges will not work.

That is exactly my understanding. Before I installed the FSX planes into the default P3D installation - I got tons of error reports using only the default P3D planes. I forwarded them to LM and was told that these were intended for developers and that I needed not to be concerned, they told me to turn off the error reporting and enjoy the sim.

On the Internet I have found several charts listing FSX 3rd party aircraft vs. P3D compatibility even for version 4. Some are listed as "compatible" and many are listed as "to be determined", which sounds to me like it will take extensive testing (or modification) to make sure that they are fully functional in P3D - just like I am doing. When I say that a plane works just as it does in FSX, I am saying that I can detect no difference in flying characteristics or instrument functioning based on years of flying them in FSX.

I am too curious to quit now, so we will have to see if P3D self-destructs as per the doomsayers.

Content error log: when you are adding FSX planes YOU are the developer. So activating the content error log and checking what part of the added FSX content works and which doesn't, IMHO makes a lot of sense. When P3D writes a note in the log that it will not load a 32bit gauge, then it won't. No amount of testing will change that, so you can save yourself the trouble by simply activating and checking the log.

Please note that the "gauge" DLLs are not just instruments. They represent all of the systems simulation of the aircraft. And they provide services outside of that scope too, like special sounds etc.

The sim won't self destruct. Those parts that rely on 32bit DLLs will just be absent. Many of the older aircraft don't have programmatic content anyway, and XML based gauges should still work more or less correctly (apart from certain rudder and steering issues that were introduced a while ago in P3D V4 and some sim variables that have different value ranges now). It is likely that you just won't notice absent click sounds in the cockpit and the likes. But try DLL heavy aircraft with deeper systems simulations too, like the QW146 or the PMDG products. That is where compatibility ends.

Your original post kind of answers your own question when you say you 'bought the latest version of P3D with the intent of replacing FSX-SE'.

Ultimately it is worth making the move from FSX to P3D if you want a sim which is moving with the times, and as you also say, you like airliners and want them in your newer 64 Bit sim. The very fact the present version of P3D is 64 Bit means you can have complex airliners and complex airport sceneries and not worry too much about out of memory issues, and this is a good enough reason alone to make the switch, but when coupled with the fact that P3D runs better than FSX does on modern hardware, it becomes a persuasive choice for sure. But with the decision to switch must come an acceptance that a lot of your FSX stuff will have to disappear in the rear view mirror so to speak, as you leave FSX behind. Really, you only have to look at the difference between how a recent airliner add-on which pushed the capabilities of FSX to its memory limits performed - or rather often failed to do so when pushed too far - compared to its 64 Bit P3D incarnation to see why the choice is a compelling one in spite of the initial price of entry; by that, I mean the Quality Wings Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which really can quite easily hit that VAS limitation of FSX and cause it to shut down, whereas its P3D version has no such difficulties whatsoever and in fact gets higher frame rates in P3D than it does in FSX too.

As noted, initially the switch to P3D is something which means you also have to accept that you might - and likely will - be getting your hand in your pocket to get some decent add-on stuff specifically designed to work with the newer sim, but anyone who has been into flight simming for years knows that this was kind of always the case when new versions of FS came out every couple of years back when MS were at the helm, so this is really a case of 'ever was it so'.

Having said that, there are plenty of decent P3D add-on airliners which compare favourably with the default FSX ones that are not particularly expensive to acquire (including some freebies), which will certainly cause a lot less hassle than porting over things which were never intended to be in P3D and will almost certainly cause issues if that is done. There are a lot of really inexpensive regional turboprops and smaller jets for P3D from Virtualcol which certainly won't break the bank, likewise, many available from Just Flight, with the prospect of a 747-200 currently in development to join a lot of their other classic jetliners and props for P3D which are not too pricey. Both the iFly 737 NG and their 747-400 (which also will include a 747-8 at no extra cost when a future update shows up soon) are comparatively inexpensive for P3D too. Aerosoft's new A318/A319 for P3D is definitely one worth checking out too, and if the Virtualcol CRJ is a bit too 'lite' for you, the Aerosoft CRJ is worth getting hold of.

That's a fair few payware airliners I've listed, and certainly if you got hold of all of them in one go it would be a large cost to swallow if bought en-mass, but this is where switching to a new sim provides an opportunity to be selective and discerning with choices presents itself, instead of ending up with a hard disk drive full of hangar queens which you never fly, and ported ones which might be causing untold problems for you down the line and which might even end up messing up your sim installation to the point where you'd be forced to reinstall it, you can instead pick and choose from the many airliners out there which are fully 64 Bit compatible which will neither break the bank, nor break your sim.

Thanks evm for a clear explanation that I completely agree with. I wish I could interpret the error files, because they would be informative, but I am not smart enough about software programming. I will continue to fly the planes and delete any that produce noticeable faults, and I will only add planes that are designed for P3D4. But I continue to dispute the flat statement that "FSX planes don't work in P3D4".

I have installed Orbx's Global Base Pack, Global Vector, open LC North America, open LC Europe, and Trees HD, and I am beginning to feel happy with P3D!

Thanks Chock for all your comments. You are right of course that to up-generate a serious flightsim is a major change all around. I am of course looking for compatible planes - free or payware - and will gradually replace the old 32-bit ones. I have some confusion because many planes are listed as "P3D compatible" without defining them as V3 or V4 compatible - a big difference. I just today uninstalled FSX and shed a few tears to see an old friend go, but that is life and I am running low on SSD space.

John - Enjoy your P3D as you now have it. Everything we do in flight simming today seems like it is "use at your own risk!" We will all reap the benefits of learning from your positive results as well as the negative results you may experience. You've been warned by some of the experts, but at the same time you were given the okay by LM that all was good!

I look forward to making a move some day in the future, but want to have something that I can run side-by-side with my existing FSX. I never felt that way with FS9, got rid of it once FSX was loaded!

Anyway, enjoy, and keep us posted how things are working out!

Rick :cool:

Thanks for your comments - that is exactly how I feel. I have noticed a few, minor dysfunctions in some of the FSX planes, such as a few panel switches not working, but nothing that interferes with a flight. I will certainly publish any important stuff if it happens.

Thanks for your comments - that is exactly how I feel. I have noticed a few, minor dysfunctions in some of the FSX planes, such as a few panel switches not working, but nothing that interferes with a flight. I will certainly publish any important stuff if it happens.

Then I urge you to look more closely. Most sound-based .dll's for FSX aircraft are 32-bit, and non-functioning in P3Dv4

Search `Doug Dawson` in this forum to get details for a number of FSX aircraft that have non-working functions

Next, any gauge using a 32-bit compile IS non-functional in the 64-bit sim. Not a single doubt about that as it has been confirmed by the L-M developers and addon providers.

Appreciate you want to reinvent the wheel, but there is absolutely no need to report something isn't working when you are trying to force it to fit: Some aircraft will install OK, but the mere revealing of a potential problem comes from ANYTHING installed into the SimObjects folder which IS NOT the sub-folder P3Dv4 aircraft are to be installed to. There the problem may not reveal itself until you reinstall the sim or upgrade the Client or Content .msi's when the next sub-version is released.

Instead, you might want to spend some time with the official Prepar3d forum, where all of the problems of trying to force FSX product to fit into P3Dv4 have already been discussed, along with the reasons why NOT to install them...

• 2 weeks later...

I am certainly not trying to reinvent any wheels, and I do not disagree with your generalities. However, I have not seen any gauges in the FSX planes that did not fully function, and I have spent a good deal of time reading the P3D forums. Furthermore, I found this statemen at the LM site when announcing the release of P3DV4:

"Is Prepar3D v4 still backwards compatible with legacy content?

Yes in many cases. Most aircraft and scenery add-ons will be compatible with Prepar3D v4, but in some cases developers will need to update their products due to the conversion from 32-bit to 64-bit. For any questions on third party compatibility, please check with the developer of that add-on content."

- sounds like we can both be right!

So do I, but some people here don't believe that! :)

Becuase it' fact. That said, many default FSX aircraft use XML-based gauges which do work, The EH101 and the F-18 DO NOT, and DON'T.

Fact is some default FSX aircraft might appear to work.

Some FSX aircraft work just fine. Some aircraft do not work at all. The problem is that some APPEAR to work but incompatibilities can cause issues in other areas. So if you are having any unusual issues, don't overlook the FSX aircraft as a possible cause. Your sim, your call but it is fast getting to the point where developers will require a system with approved add ons before giving tech support.

Think of a square peg in a round hole, you may fit it in but there are gaps.

As always, it's your sim and your call

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived