Outdated weather loading

TheRedBadger

Hi y'all, so I've noticed that pretty much anytime I fly out of ATL the weather has always been IFR and foggy, which I don't mind for practicing ILS approaches, but is kind of boring. Anyone else getting this same problem? This is pretty much everywhere as far as weather loading; same high pressure zone around SoCal that hasn't ever moved out.

This is loading "real-world weather".

Carlos Si

The "real weather" server hasn't updated since last spring. :p

Unfortunately, this has been normal for the last several years. M$ distanced themselves from FS after FSX was released.

My working theory with the "real weather" server is that M$ uses it for new IT tech's who need a "probation" job before they get re-assigned to a project. :rolleyes:

There have been several threads about this within the past few months. An example:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?310781-Real-weather-not-downloading&highlight=FSrealWX

Hope this helps,

Hey Tom, any chance you would know if FSrWX works with FS2002? :confused:

In theory, it should I guess?

I've been getting by with borrowing the WX from old saved flights. :pilot:

I can confirm that too, FSRealWX works with FSUIPC and Simconnect together, or separately for either FS2004 or FSX. It can detect which sim is active (already running) when you launch it after clicking the Fly Now! button.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yeah, every six to eight months I'll give it a try and it always winds up the same..

The main site and D/L sites are Lucy, the program and registration are the football, and I'm Charlie Brown. :rolleyes:

Maybe someday but I guess I'll stick to raiding weather from my old saved flights. :pilot:

Bob, check your PM!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Don't let that stop you! Download and install it. http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Scroll down to the FS2004 download and go for it!

Will do! I guess it's just some sort of module for the sim like my FSRec? I've heard of it before and actually did download it (I needed it for who knows what) but ended up getting lazy with it IIRC and shelved it, though I guess now it's a bit more important and I'm a bit more knowledgeable than I was a couple of years ago.

Carlos Si

Make sure you download and install the V3.999z . I am pretty sure it come in an auto installer, but you may have to tell it where your FS9 folder is.

Yes, it's a module, and, should you choose to install it yourself, it goes in the ...\FS9\Modules folder.

It also comes with several other files you need to install as well. Things like a .ini file, and so on.

So many things use it, though, you should have it installed any way. It's one of those things that should have been included by Microsoft, IMO. They probably didn't want to pay Mr. Dowson (the authhor).

Finally, Mr. Dowson has discontinued support and updates for FS9, so version 3.999z is all there's going to be. Just a heads up :)

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure you download and install the V3.999z . I am pretty sure it come in an auto installer, but you may have to tell it where your FS9 folder is.

Yes, it's a module, and, should you choose to install it yourself, it goes in the ...\FS9\Modules folder.

It also comes with several other files you need to install as well. Things like a .ini file, and so on.

So many things use it, though, you should have it installed any way. It's one of those things that should have been included by Microsoft, IMO. They probably didn't want to pay Mr. Dowson (the authhor).

Finally, Mr. Dowson has discontinued support and updates for FS9, so version 3.999z is all there's going to be. Just a heads up :)

Have fun!

Pat☺

Hmm I see. I've downloaded the right version and managed to get FSrealWX lite. Do I need to register with FSUIPC to use FSRWXLt? I don't see a module file that I can drop into FS9/modules for it to work, unless the two have to "connect" somehow? I appreciate the help

Carlos Si

If you mean does FSRealWX Lite have some kind of module that needs to be installed to the FS9\Modules folder, no.

It's just a relatively small bit of add-on software that needs FSUIPC to be able to communicate with the simulator. That way it can place the correct weather in the correct location (where you are, where you're headed, where you started, etc). It looks for FSUIPC in the FS9\Modules folder, and it communicates with that, which then passes it on to the sim. Other softwares will receive as well as transmit data to and from the sim.

There are many many add-on bits of software that need FSUIPC to do this. Most of them specify that they require FSUIPC. The only "module", or .dll file, is FSUIPC.dll. Like I said, there are a few other files FSUIPC needs to function correctly. It's .ini file, for example.

No, FSRealWX Lite doesn't require the payed for version, either. I've only ever installed the freeware version, and everything that called out a need for FSUIPC has been working fine. Not counting the LUA scripts, of course.

I do believe that if you don't utilize the auto-installer for FSUIPC, you will need to create the entry in your DLL.XML file, which is located in the same place as your FS9.CFG file. If you need more information about this, just let us know. It's easy peasy.

Does this answer your questions?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Be not afraid!

I also was cautious about new software, but since the default weather does not work, had to do something. FSUIPC, without a license, is all you need and easy to install. It can be completely transparent to use the sim, if you don't want to look at it. FSrealWX lite is a tiny bit confusing to install and use, I think because English is not the native language of the developers. But, it does install and it does work correctly and reliably. Once it's installed, take some time to try and understand the options (sometimes not self evident) and improve the look of things.

Use is super simple. Start the sim, begin a flight, and with the aircraft sitting on the ground, launch FSrealWX. Then go back to the simulator window, wait a minute or two for all the nearby weather to load, and fly. Nothing more to it!

If you mean does FSRealWX Lite have some kind of module that needs to be installed to the FS9\Modules folder, no.

It's just a relatively small bit of add-on software that needs FSUIPC to be able to communicate with the simulator. That way it can place the correct weather in the correct location (where you are, where you're headed, where you started, etc). It looks for FSUIPC in the FS9\Modules folder, and it communicates with that, which then passes it on to the sim. Other softwares will receive as well as transmit data to and from the sim.

There are many many add-on bits of software that need FSUIPC to do this. Most of them specify that they require FSUIPC. The only "module", or .dll file, is FSUIPC.dll. Like I said, there are a few other files FSUIPC needs to function correctly. It's .ini file, for example.

No, FSRealWX Lite doesn't require the payed for version, either. I've only ever installed the freeware version, and everything that called out a need for FSUIPC has been working fine. Not counting the LUA scripts, of course.

I do believe that if you don't utilize the auto-installer for FSUIPC, you will need to create the entry in your DLL.XML file, which is located in the same place as your FS9.CFG file. If you need more information about this, just let us know. It's easy peasy.

Does this answer your questions?

Pat☺

Be not afraid!

I also was cautious about new software, but since the default weather does not work, had to do something. FSUIPC, without a license, is all you need and easy to install. It can be completely transparent to use the sim, if you don't want to look at it. FSrealWX lite is a tiny bit confusing to install and use, I think because English is not the native language of the developers. But, it does install and it does work correctly and reliably. Once it's installed, take some time to try and understand the options (sometimes not self evident) and improve the look of things.

Use is super simple. Start the sim, begin a flight, and with the aircraft sitting on the ground, launch FSrealWX. Then go back to the simulator window, wait a minute or two for all the nearby weather to load, and fly. Nothing more to it!

I started the sim, loaded up a location (KSAN), opened FSrealWX, but nothing seems to happen after a while... the application is blank. Is there anything I need to setup in 'option' or in the simulator? Does FSUIPC work on its own? (both the .ini and .dll are in \modules)?

Carlos Si

Does FSUIPC work on its own? (both the .ini and .dll are in \modules)?

Yes. Applications talk to FSUIPC, and it talks to the sim. The sim talks to FSUIPC, and it talks to the application. You need do nothing to facilitate this process.

Did you utilize FSUIPC's auto-installer, or did you manually install it? I ask because if you did it manually, the next question is: Did you add it to your DLL.XML properly? It matters.

opened FSrealWX, but nothing seems to happen after a while... the application is blank.

It can take a while to download the weather from the server you've chosen. Especially in crowded area's. There will be a MOSTLY blank display on the FSRealWX Lite screen, but there is usually a small line of letters describing what it's doing, often followed by a progress bar, or a set of numbers counting up.

Do you have a good connection to the net? At least somewhat fast? Is the computer FSRWX's on actually connected to the net?

Did you start FSRWX as administrator? I won't say it's absolutely necessary, but it's a very good idea.

Sometimes, FSRWX locks up during the initialization process. No indications on it's screen at all, nothing happening. When that happens, after say 10 min for example, simply close it, wait 30-45 seconds, and restart it and it should work ok. Key word there is SHOULD!

To do a test of it, try starting at an airport in a very empty area. No, or very few, airport(s) within say 50 miles. Start the sim, place the plane on the runway, pause it or not, as you choose, and go fire up FSRealWX lite. If it's working right, it should get done relatively quickly. At KSAN, it's very crowded. It's got an awful lot of stations very close-by to download and pass to sim, and that takes it a little while, at least when you first fire it up. Pick an airport in the middle of the Australian desert, something like that, and give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, we can discuss the settings of FSRWX to see about choosing a different WX source to DL from.

Let us know :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

For me to get anything to start working using FSRWX, I had to press the Start button (on the FSRWX screen at the far left). Then the weather loads.

To change this behavior, go to File/Options, and look for the Startup section. Make sure that Download WX is checked.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Yes. Applications talk to FSUIPC, and it talks to the sim. The sim talks to FSUIPC, and it talks to the application. You need do nothing to facilitate this process.

Did you utilize FSUIPC's auto-installer, or did you manually install it? I ask because if you did it manually, the next question is: Did you add it to your DLL.XML properly? It matters.

It can take a while to download the weather from the server you've chosen. Especially in crowded area's. There will be a MOSTLY blank display on the FSRealWX Lite screen, but there is usually a small line of letters describing what it's doing, often followed by a progress bar, or a set of numbers counting up.

Do you have a good connection to the net? At least somewhat fast? Is the computer FSRWX's on actually connected to the net?

Did you start FSRWX as administrator? I won't say it's absolutely necessary, but it's a very good idea.

Sometimes, FSRWX locks up during the initialization process. No indications on it's screen at all, nothing happening. When that happens, after say 10 min for example, simply close it, wait 30-45 seconds, and restart it and it should work ok. Key word there is SHOULD!

To do a test of it, try starting at an airport in a very empty area. No, or very few, airport(s) within say 50 miles. Start the sim, place the plane on the runway, pause it or not, as you choose, and go fire up FSRealWX lite. If it's working right, it should get done relatively quickly. At KSAN, it's very crowded. It's got an awful lot of stations very close-by to download and pass to sim, and that takes it a little while, at least when you first fire it up. Pick an airport in the middle of the Australian desert, something like that, and give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, we can discuss the settings of FSRWX to see about choosing a different WX source to DL from.

Let us know :)

Pat☺

Hi,

For me to get anything to start working using FSRWX, I had to press the Start button (on the FSRWX screen at the far left). Then the weather loads.

To change this behavior, go to File/Options, and look for the Startup section. Make sure that Download WX is checked.

Hope this helps,

Decided to go to Ayers Rock (and apparently I haven't been to this airport; last trip was to Alice Springs. Just spoiled a potential trip there on the sim, now that I've seen the thing already in the sim ): ), weather doesn't appear to change from the standard 29.92 in Hg or wind calm (real life says it should be a little windy). Is there any obvious indicator that it's working?

I did install FSUIPC with the executable file, but I did it again just in case. I also ran FSRealWX with admin privileges. Do I hit "download WX" or anything, or even type the metar of the airport? Again thanks!

My FSRWX has no start button :U

Does the setting I have for weather in FS9 matter? (i.e., real-static/dynamic, default, etc.)

Carlos Si

Do I hit "download WX" or anything, or even type the metar of the airport?

Yes. I can't recall off the bat what makes the Start button pop up, but hit the Download Wx button.

I will look to see what's up with settings or options to get the Start button pop out.

No, you don't need to type in any info. The box about the middle left of the FSRWX screen labeled METAR is to get the METAR or your destination airport. Or any other airport you desire. A divert, low fuel or emergency alternate, whatever. Just type the airport's ICAO in it, and hit ENTER to get the METAR for it on the right of the box. Like KSFO, KSAN, or whatever. Be aware that when the weather updates, it goes away, and you need to hit enter again to get it back. Can be a little annoying if/when the weather changes and updates come quickly, as they are prone to doing. When the weather updates, the displayed METAR changes to the METAR for the airport closest to you at that moment.

I did install FSUIPC with the executable file, but I did it again just in case.

Ok good! Having said that, and I hate to carp on a subject, but did you double check the entry in the DLL.XML file to make sure that 1) It's there, and 2) the path is absolutely correct?

Two easy double-checks for the above is to look and see, once you're sitting on the runway in the chosen plane, if you have FSUIPC as a choice in the Add-Ons dropdown menu at the top of the screen? If the grey menu bar isn't present at the top of the screen, simply hit the ALT key and it should appear, as if by magic :D

Look for Add-Ons at the far right end of the menu choices. Click on it, and see if FSUIPC is there. If it's not, the DLL.XML file entry probably either isn't present, or the line in it isn't correct.

Second quick, easy, check: Did you have to accept FSUIPC, like you do when you add new gauges from an add-on aircraft, the first time you started sim? If you did, it's good, and you can forget about FSUIPC as being a problem, and we can focus on FSRWX.

I will presume you DID install the correct version of FSUIPC. v3.999z

I'm sorry, I know you're getting tired of hearing me ask about the DLL.XML entry for FSUIPC...

Does the setting I have for weather in FS9 matter? (i.e., real-static/dynamic, default, etc.)

Nope. Makes no difference. Weather from FSRWX "takes over" the sim's weather whatever setting you have it in.

Or at least it WILL, once we get it going :D

ANNNNND we will, you just wait and see!

Is there any obvious indicator that it's working?
Other than the FSRWX screen showing METAR's and various other information, no. At least not in a place like Ayer's Rock. The weather there isn't the most exciting sometimes, after all. I wager the wind will be the biggest indication, both speed and direction, not to mention Outside Temp and Pressure. A good way to see a change in the local pressure from the ISA Standard is to see if your altimeter needle moves when you hit the B key for the first time. With the sim not paused, naturally.

Ayer's Rock, in the middle of the afternoon? Your outside temperature may be a tad above standard :rolleyes:

Ok, I checked. To get the Start button to highlight, go to Options under FSREALWX menu pulldown at the top of it's main screen, and an the first page, the General tab, look about the middle of the page for 3 check-boxes, in a small section labeled Start-Up. Make sure all 3 are checked, click Apply, then OK down at the bottom right. You will need to restart FSRWX to get the changes to take effect.

Ok, I've rambled on enough. Let us know how it goes! :confused:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just to clarify, FS2004 does not use a DLL.XML file - just drop the DLL file into the Modules folder and it will be used automatically.

And as stated above, my copy of the program has many empty boxes upon startup - once the weather loads (the progress of that process is displayed in the middle box), all those empty boxes fill up with your current location and the METAR info.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Yes. I can't recall off the bat what makes the Start button pop up, but hit the Download Wx button.

I will look to see what's up with settings or options to get the Start button pop out.

No, you don't need to type in any info. The box about the middle left of the FSRWX screen labeled METAR is to get the METAR or your destination airport. Or any other airport you desire. A divert, low fuel or emergency alternate, whatever. Just type the airport's ICAO in it, and hit ENTER to get the METAR for it on the right of the box. Like KSFO, KSAN, or whatever. Be aware that when the weather updates, it goes away, and you need to hit enter again to get it back. Can be a little annoying if/when the weather changes and updates come quickly, as they are prone to doing. When the weather updates, the displayed METAR changes to the METAR for the airport closest to you at that moment.

Ok good! Having said that, and I hate to carp on a subject, but did you double check the entry in the DLL.XML file to make sure that 1) It's there, and 2) the path is absolutely correct?

Two easy double-checks for the above is to look and see, once you're sitting on the runway in the chosen plane, if you have FSUIPC as a choice in the Add-Ons dropdown menu at the top of the screen? If the grey menu bar isn't present at the top of the screen, simply hit the ALT key and it should appear, as if by magic :D

Look for Add-Ons at the far right end of the menu choices. Click on it, and see if FSUIPC is there. If it's not, the DLL.XML file entry probably either isn't present, or the line in it isn't correct.

Second quick, easy, check: Did you have to accept FSUIPC, like you do when you add new gauges from an add-on aircraft, the first time you started sim? If you did, it's good, and you can forget about FSUIPC as being a problem, and we can focus on FSRWX.

I will presume you DID install the correct version of FSUIPC. v3.999z

I'm sorry, I know you're getting tired of hearing me ask about the DLL.XML entry for FSUIPC...

Nope. Makes no difference. Weather from FSRWX "takes over" the sim's weather whatever setting you have it in.

Or at least it WILL, once we get it going :D

ANNNNND we will, you just wait and see!

Other than the FSRWX screen showing METAR's and various other information, no. At least not in a place like Ayer's Rock. The weather there isn't the most exciting sometimes, after all. I wager the wind will be the biggest indication, both speed and direction, not to mention Outside Temp and Pressure. A good way to see a change in the local pressure from the ISA Standard is to see if your altimeter needle moves when you hit the B key for the first time. With the sim not paused, naturally.

Ayer's Rock, in the middle of the afternoon? Your outside temperature may be a tad above standard :rolleyes:

Ok, I checked. To get the Start button to highlight, go to Options under FSREALWX menu pulldown at the top of it's main screen, and an the first page, the General tab, look about the middle of the page for 3 check-boxes, in a small section labeled Start-Up. Make sure all 3 are checked, click Apply, then OK down at the bottom right. You will need to restart FSRWX to get the changes to take effect.

Ok, I've rambled on enough. Let us know how it goes! :confused:

Pat☺

Just to clarify, FS2004 does not use a DLL.XML file - just drop the DLL file into the Modules folder and it will be used automatically.

And as stated above, my copy of the program has many empty boxes upon startup - once the weather loads (the progress of that process is displayed in the middle box), all those empty boxes fill up with your current location and the METAR info.

I reinstalled FSRWX this time not changing the location of installation (I let it install in program files x86). No effect, however I will say in the past when installing FS9 itself outside of PF86, things improve a lot.... also I don't need to approve addons everytime I drop stuff in there.

Tried hitting download, still shows up blank, no activity in the sim :U .\

This DLL.xml file doesn't appear to exist, I think tgibson is right. FSUIPC is installed right; it appears in the modules tab at the top.

Only had two options available for mine under startup; "check updates" and I forgot the other one. Clicked applied and ok'd. Can't check now because once I restarted FSRWX, all I see is a window called "Version Info" open, while there's a dialog in the backgroun saying "Checking for updates, please wait." I actually have three of those windows open now :U

Carlos Si

Does it say "FsRealWX lite" at the top of the program's Window?

Are you perhaps using a completely different program??

The way to run fsrealwx is to start the program. Then start Fs as well. And only when Fs is running do you simply click "start" in fsrealWX Lite.

Nothing else like a "download weather" button needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived