Installing FSX deluxe edition

JMG

Am trying to install FSX deluxe edition on my new Windows 10 PC. Was previously installed on my Windows 7 PC and worked well. Although the boxes were ticked, no shortcut was created on the desktop and the program did not start automatically. I created a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe". The program now starts with main screen and giving messages that it is generating scenery files, etc. The main screen then disappears and nothing else happens. Can anyone suggest a solution as it is driving me crazy

JMG

Main screen??? Is this the "Splash" screen that is shown first or do you mean the "Free Flight" Screen? When you say it disappears, could it just be minimizing? Have you installed SP1 and SP2 yet?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

JMG, if you - heaven forbid - sometime will need to un- and re-install FSX on the new system, then please please please do not install it to the default location, but to something like C:\FSX.

The reason is that UAC in Win 10 is much stricter than Win 7 regarding access rights for files in the default location. I am not saying this is the reason for your present issue, but just in case you'll need to reinstall then please remember this.

Jorgen

Actually, the reason is due to M$ emulating the programs folder for so-called "security."

So as mentioned, install to the root of C:\

Install as Admin and for all users.

Good luck with 10 though... As soon as a major update comes along, so long.

When I lived in the Philippines, I had FSX installed under first Win 8, updated and updated without problems, Then I upgraded to Win 8.1, still no issues with the updates. Then updated to Win 10, still no issues.

Then I moved to Germany in May of 2015 without my desktop computer, and only got a new desktop in October of that year. I had my Win 8 disks with me, installed that, upgraded to first 8.1 and then 10, updated Win 10 and installed FSX.

So this has now been running like that for almost 3 years, and I have been through updates large and small, including the "Creator's Edition". I have never had ONE issue with FSX in all that time, and since I got P3D in February, no issues with that one either.

The Windows Update bashing is just like the discussion about global warming, a bunch of religious mumbo-jumbo - it is simply NOT TRUE. If Windows Updates were really a problem, I would have seen it. Instead, I take the view that is the system that experiences an issue that has an underlying problem of some sort.

I shall gladly post my system specs and what I do regarding Windows Updates (settings, procedures etc.) if required. And I'll get off my soap-box now.

Jorgen

Thanks for getting back so quickly. What I mean is the Splash Screen. It appears along with messages then the screen goes blank. Haven't installed SP1 or SP2 yet. Assume these are service packs? Will this make a difference?

JMG

When I lived in the Philippines, I had FSX installed under first Win 8, updated and updated without problems, Then I upgraded to Win 8.1, still no issues with the updates. Then updated to Win 10, still no issues.

Then I moved to Germany in May of 2015 without my desktop computer, and only got a new desktop in October of that year. I had my Win 8 disks with me, installed that, upgraded to first 8.1 and then 10, updated Win 10 and installed FSX.

So this has now been running like that for almost 3 years, and I have been through updates large and small, including the "Creator's Edition". I have never had ONE issue with FSX in all that time, and since I got P3D in February, no issues with that one either.

The Windows Update bashing is just like the discussion about global warming, a bunch of religious mumbo-jumbo - it is simply NOT TRUE. If Windows Updates were really a problem, I would have seen it. Instead, I take the view that is the system that experiences an issue that has an underlying problem of some sort.

I shall gladly post my system specs and what I do regarding Windows Updates (settings, procedures etc.) if required. And I'll get off my soap-box now.

Jorgen

http://bfy.tw/JAln

And your point?

Logic, basic, individual-served weapon: IF something is wrong with Windows Updates, it will show on EVERY system, including mine. It doesn't.

Logical conclusion: there is SOMETHING ELSEâ„¢ wrong on the systems that report the error.

Go problem-hunting instead of Windows-bashing. It's not God's Will or somebody else's fault, it's the system administrator's fault.

Jorgen

At last, common sense prevails! Jorgen, I agree with you whole heartly!

Window 10 works, perfectly for my 4 versions of FS2004, FSX, P3D, Flightgear & CFS2 &3.

I've tried them all.

There are far too many one these forums who consider themselves 'oracles' as far as passing on information, often misleading & false.

As we all know, or should, Windows 10 is optimised for newer PC hardware. Putting Windows 7, that is optimised for 8-10 year old hardware, onto a new PC? Common sense tells you that you will not be not getting anywhere the results that you should get!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Colonel Harry S. Truman of the Missouri Army National Guard (better known as President of the United States 1945-1953) had a sign on his desk. It said, in all its simplicity: The Buck Stops Here.

Every system administrator ought to have a similar sign taped to their foreheads.

So what do I do to prevent issues?

First of all: minimize what is on your system, also known as the KISS rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid). In Windows 10 that means uninstalling all those little unneeded apps that are installed when the OS is installed, only keep what you want and need. You cannot uninstall them all (example: Cortana), but then you can disable them - Google is your friend.

Second: close your system up. Set all your settings for maximum privacy - it is YOUR system, not Microsoft's beta testing system. A nice little freeware program, called O&O 10 Shutup, will help you.

Third: Antivirus and Malware. I use AVG and Malwarebytes, the paid versions. Both are also available as freeware with less functionality. Scan daily!

Fourth: Set Windows Update to only restart your system when you say so, never leave it on automatic restart as it comes.

For system cleanup purposes I use 2 programs, both in their freeware versions: Ccleaner and Eusing Free Registry Cleanup. I use those after Windows Update, but after the update I actually use the function Free up disk space in the Windows control panel first, then I run Ccleaner to clean up both disk space and registry, followed by the Eusing Registry Cleanup.

From time to time I also go into C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files(x86) and C:\Program Data just to see what is there. If I see a folder that looks like it does not belong there, I Google the folder name to see what it does and whether it should be removed.

And finally: I never use Internet Explorer or Edge. I use Google Chrome for most websites, and Firefox for the rest (only a few).

Just some tips and tricks that work for me -

Jorgen

The mentality of one's understanding of common sense is in the eye of the beholder.

You can't teach common sense, you're born with it and it evolves with wisdom. They don't give you a masters in common sense theory.

I think in addition to IQ and EQ tests there should be a common sense test. But that may be a little hard to do because how does one weigh common sense? I guess it could start with: Would you eat a Tide pod for a challenge? Do you think your professor knows more than you? Is pot the best thing ever despite it containing a mild form of THC? Who is the Secretary of Defense? Okay, went a little too far on that one, but for heavens sake, all Americans should know that. LOL! Long live the voter, the voter is dead

1cpc91.jpg

Don't believe everything I read on the Internet? Please, this isn't conjecture, this isn't debating whether a plane will take off on a conveyor belt or not. I have read post after post on computer help forums and read post after post on Facebook pages of people having update issues with Ten. It may not happen to you, but it seems like it's happened to many, many people and this is FACT. Truth be told, M$' QC department is severally lacking and in fact they are looking now at changing the way updates are deployed based on user activity or some other creative over thought process. What they should do is just have a "common sense" ON/OFF button for updates. DUH! And at least allow one to pick and chose what update to use. As noted, some updates may not affect others like they do for you, etc. So give the user a choice in the matter and allow one to just install the criticals.

I can't believe an OS is that broken that every Tuesday a new slew of updates are rolled out. That is as bad as my Comcrap cable TV box updating every night. WHY???? WTF are they updating and why every friggin night?

IMO the more you have to update something, the risk of failure is exponential. And my cable box has messed up before due to it. Looking at it from a mathematical standpoint, the common denominator here are all of the complaints all over the Internet in social networking sites and computer help forums of updates creating havoc. I had a giant list of these issues. I'll have to see if it's on my other computer, but every time someone over at Anandtech raised an issue having to do with an update I just shook my head.

Updates are fine, but when they start breaking rather than fixing you really have to wonder, "is this crap really worth the effort?"

I absolutely agree with you on common sense.

However, logic is something else, it can be taught, and it has a nasty habit of suddenly biting your rear end without mercy.

BTW, a very good reference for OOM errors.

Jorgen

Logic can be taught, but how it's applied is a whole other matter. One could have the greatest logic of them all, only to fail miserably when common sense wasn't used.

Here's an example: Logic dictates that when you use a hammer you're likely to bang your finger. Common sense tells you to hold the hammer with two hands! :D LMAO!

Don't bash it until you've tried it.

You sound like a pot head trying too get me to smoke the weed.

Truth be told, my Bro has a Win 10 computer and it has acted up. I don't care what you say. I have seen for the last freaking time many, many posts on people getting hosed with Windows updates.

I too am the "official" tech head and sole IT pro with my family and I have stopped their computers from automatically installing that spying update madness crap. The very fact it comes with a keylogger should raise eyebrows. No, it's not about whether you can turn it off or not. And do you really think that sucker is off? I bet I can throw 10 in VMware and monitor the network traffic and see all kinds of garbage. Since Europe in their infinite wisdom invoked GDPR, I'm willing to bet they go after 10 next. Already went after Google, but I think that's more or less a cheap money grab, despite Google's crap. Don't be evil HA!

Archived