Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Installing FSX deluxe edition

Default Installing FSX deluxe edition

Am trying to install FSX deluxe edition on my new Windows 10 PC. Was previously installed on my Windows 7 PC and worked well. Although the boxes were ticked, no shortcut was created on the desktop and the program did not start automatically. I created a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe". The program now starts with main screen and giving messages that it is generating scenery files, etc. The main screen then disappears and nothing else happens. Can anyone suggest a solution as it is driving me crazy

JMG

Main screen??? Is this the "Splash" screen that is shown first or do you mean the "Free Flight" Screen? When you say it disappears, could it just be minimizing? Have you installed SP1 and SP2 yet?
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

JMG, if you - heaven forbid - sometime will need to un- and re-install FSX on the new system, then please please please do not install it to the default location, but to something like C:\FSX.

The reason is that UAC in Win 10 is much stricter than Win 7 regarding access rights for files in the default location. I am not saying this is the reason for your present issue, but just in case you'll need to reinstall then please remember this.

Jorgen

4. Default

Actually, the reason is due to M$ emulating the programs folder for so-called "security."

So as mentioned, install to the root of C:\

Install as Admin and for all users.

Good luck with 10 though... As soon as a major update comes along, so long.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

When I lived in the Philippines, I had FSX installed under first Win 8, updated and updated without problems, Then I upgraded to Win 8.1, still no issues with the updates. Then updated to Win 10, still no issues.

Then I moved to Germany in May of 2015 without my desktop computer, and only got a new desktop in October of that year. I had my Win 8 disks with me, installed that, upgraded to first 8.1 and then 10, updated Win 10 and installed FSX.

So this has now been running like that for almost 3 years, and I have been through updates large and small, including the "Creator's Edition". I have never had ONE issue with FSX in all that time, and since I got P3D in February, no issues with that one either.

The Windows Update bashing is just like the discussion about global warming, a bunch of religious mumbo-jumbo - it is simply NOT TRUE. If Windows Updates were really a problem, I would have seen it. Instead, I take the view that is the system that experiences an issue that has an underlying problem of some sort.

I shall gladly post my system specs and what I do regarding Windows Updates (settings, procedures etc.) if required. And I'll get off my soap-box now.

Jorgen

Thanks for getting back so quickly. What I mean is the Splash Screen. It appears along with messages then the screen goes blank. Haven't installed SP1 or SP2 yet. Assume these are service packs? Will this make a difference?

JMG

Thanks Jorgen. I already have uninstalled and re-installed to try to correct the error. I'll keep in mind what you say and reinstall to C:\FSX

JMG

Where do I get SP1 & SP2

JMG

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    When I lived in the Philippines, I had FSX installed under first Win 8, updated and updated without problems, Then I upgraded to Win 8.1, still no issues with the updates. Then updated to Win 10, still no issues.

Then I moved to Germany in May of 2015 without my desktop computer, and only got a new desktop in October of that year. I had my Win 8 disks with me, installed that, upgraded to first 8.1 and then 10, updated Win 10 and installed FSX.

So this has now been running like that for almost 3 years, and I have been through updates large and small, including the "Creator's Edition". I have never had ONE issue with FSX in all that time, and since I got P3D in February, no issues with that one either.

The Windows Update bashing is just like the discussion about global warming, a bunch of religious mumbo-jumbo - it is simply NOT TRUE. If Windows Updates were really a problem, I would have seen it. Instead, I take the view that is the system that experiences an issue that has an underlying problem of some sort.

I shall gladly post my system specs and what I do regarding Windows Updates (settings, procedures etc.) if required. And I'll get off my soap-box now.

Jorgen
    http://bfy.tw/JAln
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

And your point?

Logic, basic, individual-served weapon: IF something is wrong with Windows Updates, it will show on EVERY system, including mine. It doesn't.

Logical conclusion: there is SOMETHING ELSE™ wrong on the systems that report the error.

Go problem-hunting instead of Windows-bashing. It's not God's Will or somebody else's fault, it's the system administrator's fault.

Jorgen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast