TDS 787 - where am I going wrong?

ryanspringer2294

Did you check the settings in the aircraft.cfg file?

Is the KPAE the airport in Washington? If so, are you originally from that area?

Ryan, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't have any problems with the other aircraft, would you want to try another 787? I found one suitable for both FSX and P3d. If you want to try it, to see if it makes a difference, let me know! I think I wrote the link down somewhere, but will have to do some digging!

This site: fsx-codey_wynne-b787_base.zip

Edited by Downwind66

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ryan,

A few of us have tried to assist with possible solutions, but we haven't cracked the answer for you yet. Many of us have tried replicating scenarios with the TDS 787 under many different landing conditions and so far have not experienced the kind of slamming onto the runway as you are experiencing.

I use FSX for my flight simming but essentially the physics are the same for the P3D platform. P3D is somewhat familiar for scenery settings so I think we can work at adjusting some settings to give a more reliable landing scenario in the 787 and other large aircraft. (I' am surprised that you aren't seeing the same slamming effect with other tubeliners, but flight dynamics are always different for every aircraft so that may not present as big an issue for say a default 737 / 747 as much as a custom 787.

Perhaps it is not the aircraft or your flying/landing technique, but the Runway surface or actual ground surface level Altitude MSL/AGL when it comes to landing this specific plane.

I have a few ideas that aren't related to the aircraft specifically, but to the airfield/scenery where increasing the sliders for "Scenery complexity" and "Mesh complexity" & "Mesh resolution".

Also when the scenery complexity and mesh is set appropriately then pressing the "b" key when you have loaded the flight and aircraft ready for push or takeoff (to set the Altimeter Barometric pressure) whilst on the ground before takeoff, setting this whilst airbourne can lead to altimeter discrepancy when it comes to landing, it may improve your chances of getting correct altitude info to your instruments for speed and glideslope callouts and a smoother landing.

The reason I'm looking at the scenery settings as a possible cause, although not immediately apparent, is the low resolution & detail of your scenery in the videos, and that your aircraft is prone to sinking or diving below the terrain when landing, perhaps the low res & detail is just the zoom factor or you are actually using lower settings to allow more headroom for your hardware smoother flights @ higher FPS, but sometimes setting them too low can have negative results where the reported ground level is not as stable for rock solid landings.

I make no promises that my advice could be the answer but there is a small possibility, if not it might be time to give up on the TDS 787.

Cheers Jethro

+1 on your thoughts Jethro. You know what still keeps coming back to me is the way Ryan's aircraft is dropping like a lead balloon, rather than an aircraft that should have some glide to it. I keep thinking (yeah, it still works sometimes), if Ryan is landing via ILS or Localizer Only, that aircraft should still be approaching that runway at a much shallow'r angle!!!! He could forget to push this button that button and still it should be coming down in a respectable descent! THAT IS, if his aircraft is truly capturing the ILS and glide scope. Ryan is not open with us about what he sees, what he does in the cockpit, he merely says he is doing all that everyone has suggested and I have to take his word for that! This is when a Skype might come in handy, but I for one do not have one! I've just about run out of ideas and/or suggestions. He's got more patience than I thought possible. I do freeware, so if I reach a point to where I tell myself that the relationship just wasn't meant to be, that download goes right to File 13!!! Time to move on to the next one! It's not worth the worries and agony that it puts you thru, that's for sure! I keep suggesting, maybe try a freeware 787 download, see if it works properly! It won't cost anything other than a little time on his part! Anyway, I hope some of your ideas might help Ryan. I will be watching to see what happens next! Thanks Jethro!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Oh, and Ryan, I just thought of something I have never mentioned nor have I seen this mentioned from others in this thread, don't forget to have your A/P set to NAV when making your ILS landings. I was reading another post today, and somebody just happened to mention it and I thought about your problems.

Anyway, Jethro is working on some changes he thinks might help, so let's keep our fingers crossed. Let me know if you would like that link to the 787 download. If you don't like it or it doesn't live up to your expectations, you can always delete it. OR, just keep both of them. Fly the new until you get the original 787's issues resolved!

Rick :cool:

Good morning.

Firstly, no I am not from the Washington area. I have lived in Australia my entire life.

I have endless patience with this aircraft, and I will not give up until this problem is solved.

I have only recently reduced my settings, but I have been having this issue ever since I first used this aircraft in FSX 2 years ago.

Is there something I can change in the CFG? Because it doesn’t just “know” to slam down, I do think that something in the CFG may be causing this.

This has left me quite confused. If it was a CFG problem, why has it not happened to anyone else? If it is something I am doing wrong, it must be something very simple, otherwise I would think other people would be asking.

I have no problem with any other TDS aircraft, and although it would be unrealistic, is it possible to somehow copy the FDE so it would fly exactly like their 737? Because I have had no problems with that aircraft.

Any further help is greatly appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan - Let's go back, I sent you a copy of my Autopilot section of the config and asked that you compare each line of your same section to my section to see if anything stands out. I had to ask again this morning, still no answer. I asked you to give us a blow by blow description of your landing technique, we still haven't got that answer. Yes, there could very well be something in the aircraft.cfg that might have be "out of whack" by TDS. Just because you are the only one having problems, doesn't mean others aren't having the same issues. They might have the knowledge of what to look for in the cfg. I learned a lot just by downloading freeware. I usually know where to look when I am having problems. If I can't readily solve the problem myself, I get on here, post to a thread of what my problems are, and most of the time well versed veterans of this flight sim community are more than willing to help, but I have to answer questions they may have of me, in order for them to know how to respond to my troubles. You want to copy the FDE so it flies like the TDS 737. Not me, not anyone here. You probably need to pinch this thread to "OFF" and seek help from TDS. Nobody on here is going to solve your problems without some effort on your part! My suggestion to you, is to move on to another freeware download, and see if you can't find one that works properly! I counted my aircraft inventory this morning, I have 175 aircraft including the FSX default aircraft. Not one of them is payware. Freeware that in many cases needed a little tweaking to make them flyable. I have had some that I just couldn't do anything with, and they were immediately thrown to the trash bin, and then I moved on to the next download. Before they go to my inventory, everything has to work, nothing halfway, no FDE's to be modified, just a lot of work, help from the members on this site! Ryan, I have tried, and at one point I said "enough," chose to leave your problems to yourself, but my willing to help like so many others on here, convinced me to give it one more shot! Let me repeat myself again, "ENOUGH, I AM DONE!"

Enjoy your TDS 787, maybe tuck a pillow under you for those rough landings! 2 years you say? Unbelievable.

Rick! :rolleyes:

I'm with Rick on this now, 2years is long enough to wear the patience for anyone.

("Law of Diminishing Returns")

Please go to the Flight sim library and download/install the Updated FDE for the Base model. TDS_787-8_FDE_REV1.ZIP

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=65636095

Give (TDS 787-8 FDE Rev1) a try if it does not rectify your issue then give-up.

Having exhausted all possible answers with flying/landing technique and other notable suggestions for your TDS 787 slamming issue, many of us who have tried and tested are unable to replicate the issue. I just installed the aircraft and any updates (required patches) and flew it, took off & landed with limited knowledge of what to expect, my copy lands without issue even under the most trying of scenarios. Best of luck I'm Out on this one as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok, its been about two weeks, just thought I'd update. I have managed to get it working using an autoland gauge. It's not perfect, but I no longer slam down.

Link to gauge:

http://www.fs2000.org/2010/09/11/autoland-gauge-version-21-for-fsx-and-fs2004-2/

If anyone is still around, I am still looking for a proper solution. The gauge doesn’t work on the -9 for whatever reason.

I see all sorts of different problems with this aircraft posted on the TDS Facebook page, but never this problem.

I know that everyone has said to move on, but I just can’t bring myself to do that. There is a solution to this problem somewhere, and I am not giving up until I find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 10 months later...
Don't know if you're still around. I have recently started flying this model. It's definitely a challenge to land. From my successful and unsuccessful attempts it appears that the model is very prone to tail strikes so you need to try to land it with the nose wheel closer to the ground than you would with other models. For me that means full flaps and higher speeds than usual (but not too fast because that also seems to invoke the crash response). I rely mainly on how the approach looks and feels and don't worry about whether it is technically correct. It's only a game, after all. Btw, it looks like you may have FSX set to ignore crashes, which, if true, may be giving you the impression that the problem is nose slamming. If you set it to detect crashes, you'll see the crash is noted as soon as the tail gets too close to the runway.

Its very interesting problem. It does sound like a possible clash with scenery and this particular aircraft, but again, if other planes are landing fine for you..... My suggestion is the same as the aforementioned, you should be landing with less than fifty percent fuel on board. That definetly makes landings more apt to succeed. I've had a somewhat similar problem …. the default airbus in FSX , ALWAYS goes into a dive after approximately 20 seconds after takeoff. I deleted FSX and reloaded it but nothing worked. Finally gave up and don't fly the aircraft.

Its very interesting problem. It does sound like a possible clash with scenery and this particular aircraft, but again, if other planes are landing fine for you..... My suggestion is the same as the aforementioned, you should be landing with less than fifty percent fuel on board. That definetly makes landings more apt to succeed. I've had a somewhat similar problem …. the default airbus in FSX , ALWAYS goes into a dive after approximately 20 seconds after takeoff. I deleted FSX and reloaded it but nothing worked. Finally gave up and don't fly the aircraft.

Nothing to do with a `clash with scenery`.

The TDS model is NOT intended for P3D.

Trying to use it one without a replacement FDE optimised for P3D will NOT correct the C of G issue, which is endemic to FSX aircraft used in P3D. You have to modify the .mdl file which you cannot do unless you have access to model for editing.

Simple as that.