Setting up old hard drive as a secondary drive

Good day, and apologies if this has been answered (Didn't see an answer to this)

I have a new computer with several open bays. (Windows 10) My old computer (Windows 7) has a significant portion for my FSX. I understand the two OS are not compatible. I have most of the 86X programs on the SSD and a HDD for data on the new system. Question is this. Is there anyway I can install the old hard drive, saving the FSX data? I'm thinking of going the route of Steam and having to reinstall those AC etc. which are compatible, but I have a significant amount of other add ons. Not the end of the world, but the thought of the hours reinstalling makes me wonder if it's worth the trouble.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Gary

A lot of those add-ons will probably have registry key assignments. So you would have to reinstall all of the add-ons. Or you can try this program. I haven't tried it before, but it may save you some time.

https://www.easeus.com/free-pc-transfer-software/

Unfortunately, it's 50 smackers.

If you do install to the other computer, be sure to copy your rewards file.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?244841-Reinstall-without-losing-awards&highlight=backup+rewards

Thanks for the reply. By reading other similar posts I kinda figured I'll need to do the reinstall route...(Heavy sigh) but on the bright side, I know what addons I've really used and what need to go away.

Using an image unrestore the copy the hd to the new pc's hd is nonsense. First, it won't work. The windows on the old if can not be activated on the new one. (and second, it's not needed to copy an image, as you could just plug in the old drive and have the same result.).

installing fsx new and copying old stuff to it is much more complex and time consuming then installing all addons fresh.

Btw, You may have to properly uninstall some of the payware from the old system before you can activate it on the new one. (licenced to one pc at a time only.).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, if you do continue on the 'moving over the hd' path and want advice, give clear specs of each pc. That means a listing of:

self built or brand and model.

processor type and model.

Videocard brand and model.

Harddisks. Brand model and size. Of each one in the pc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can connect the old drive of course. If you then boot win10, you can access the old drive as a data drive.

You can then copy data. But don't copy the whole fsx folder, for reasons given earlier.

Be careful when accessing it. In win7, if you try to delete an or file, UAC will warm that you are not owner of the file and will stop deleting. Prevents OS damage.

But if running win10, you can delete any file on the old win7 disk without warning. Win10 will see those files as simple data. Not system files. (as they are not win10's system files.)

You can also try to boot from the old drive with new pc. If you have a very modern processor it will not boot.

If it will boot, the win7 will have the wrong drivers. Plus it will most likely not be activated. (but you can always try)

I asked for precise info on the hardware of the pc's. Because depending on the hardware some things may not be possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived