Yet another which Sim to buy question

Zed750Jay

Hi all,

Another returnee to the flight sim world here trying to workout what sim to sink some cash into.

Been into flight sims on and off for many many years (Twin Tornado on the C64 was my first). Over the years I have tried FS2004, FSX, XP9, XP10, XP11 and a few of the combat ones on Steam but have been held back from fully getting into it all due to circumstances/equipment mostly playing on a laptop sat on the sofa which has not made it the greatest experience.

Moving to a new house soon which means I can finally get a ‘man cave’/home office so can finally give it a proper go!

Mostly I have found I prefer pretty scenery to realistic flying and lean towards bush flying.

My current laptop can handle XP11 at a decent frame rate but I have found that the scenery leaves much to be desired. Have FSX on Steam and find that more satisfying to use but have wondered about P3D before I start buying add ons etc.

Sorry it is a bit rambling - it is proving to be one of those mornings at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Another returnee to the flight sim world here trying to workout what sim to sink some cash into.

Been into flight sims on and off for many many years (Twin Tornado on the C64 was my first). Over the years I have tried FS2004, FSX, XP9, XP10, XP11 and a few of the combat ones on Steam but have been held back from fully getting into it all due to circumstances/equipment mostly playing on a laptop sat on the sofa which has not made it the greatest experience.

Moving to a new house soon which means I can finally get a ‘man cave’/home office so can finally give it a proper go!

Mostly I have found I prefer pretty scenery to realistic flying and lean towards bush flying.

My current laptop can handle XP11 at a decent frame rate but I have found that the scenery leaves much to be desired. Have FSX on Steam and find that more satisfying to use but have wondered about P3D before I start buying add ons etc.

Sorry it is a bit rambling - it is proving to be one of those mornings at work!

The specs of the laptop would help a lot.

With those specs, ever consider just getting a large external monitor and hooking that up? With the 1050Ti, you should be able to drive a 32" monitor pretty well with most slider settings fairly far to the right.

Just keep the laptop cool/raise the bottom so air can circulate below it.

FWIW, my desktop CPU is less than yours but I'm also using 1050Ti video card and I decided to stick with FSX:SE when I returned to simming a couple months ago. My system uses DDR3, not DDR4, RAM. I'm running lots of Orbx scenery as well as numerous other add-on sceneries, ASNext, REX, and FSRecorder. My sliders are all almost all the way to the right, only AI is not 100% (all of my AI is WOAI, MAIW or HTAI model packages). My FPS is locked at 30FPS and I can fly any of the GA aircraft I own anywhere. I can't speak about flying PMDG-level stuff into places like LAX/JFK, it's not my thing.

Lol, I hope to run a nice big monitor once we move house and I get my man cave!

Currently persevering with X Plane 11 but not massively happy with the terrain once you drop under 1500 feet or so.

I might bung FSX back on just because of the sheer number of add ons etc available

Archived