Uiver DC-2 engine/tank setup for starting/flight

SSI01

I'm revisiting an oldie but a goodie here and am wondering about the starting procedure for this aircraft, the Uiver DC-2 in FSX.

I can get practically all of it except the tank selector switch (valve) and the engine selector switch. Some questions re: this situation:

The engine selector switch has three positions that I can see - left engine, both engines, right engine. I can get the right engine started with switch set to "right engine," and tank selector switch set to "right main." I can also get the right engine started with the engine switch set to "right engine," and the tank selector switch set to "aux tank." But I can not get the left engine to start with the tank selector switch set to "aux tank."

I can get both engines to start with the engine selector switch set to "both" and the tank selector switch set to "right main." Any attempt to switch the engines over to left main after engine start results in both of them sputtering to a stop. That leaves the fuel in the left tank inaccessible in the sim.

The pop-up display for all aircraft systems shows two main tanks and two aux tanks, the same setup as for the DC-3. Yet there is only one "aux" position for the auxiliary fuel tanks on the tank selector valve.

There was an otherwise excellent DC-6 that was, and still is, available for purchase and installation in FSX that was ruined, in my opinion, by the inability to transfer fuel feed from tank to tank as the gasoline in the tanks burned off during flight. One had to set the fuel tank feed to "all" and lose some realism in the sim in order to get the aircraft to function. Is the fuel setup in this aircraft the same way - you have to make an adjustment in the sim itself before you fly the aircraft to set the tanks to "all" before you start? Also, is it necessary to set the engine control switch to "both" and leave it there in order for them to start? If that's the case I wonder why we have the "left engine" and "right engine" options.

Does anyone who has this aircraft in the sim have a decent procedure for starting engines?

Thanks in advance!

I can get both engines to start with the engine selector switch set to "both" and the tank selector switch set to "right main." Any attempt to switch the engines over to left main after engine start results in both of them sputtering to a stop. That leaves the fuel in the left tank inaccessible in the sim.

Basically, the engine selector ALWAYS remains on "BOTH". The left/right positions are for emergecies, when losing an engine.

Important note on pg.17 of the manual:

NOTE - NEVER SWITCH TO AN OTHER TANK WITH ELECTRICAL BOOSTER
PUMPS TURNED OFF.

I tested it: the engines ALWAYS stall when switching tanks with the fuel pumps OFF.

When ON, they don't. This should solve your issues IMO.

I'll pm on the DC-6 later this week.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Archived