Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FSX asks to first load DX9

Quote Originally Posted by mikesingh View Post
    .....5. However all FSX add on sceneries have to be reinstalled and that's gonna be a pain. I'll see if I can get around this too.....
    Hi Mike,

Any payware items that required on-line activation will definitely require a re-install as there will be associated registry entries tied to the install.

Likewise most payware that have a activation process that does not requires on-line activation but uses a Serial key will most likely need a reinstall for the same reason.

Freeware, and those payware items that have no activation process, should be able to be simply copied back across.

WRT scenery itself - If you have a backup copy of your scenery,cfg file you can simply copy back the scenery into FSX, replicating the exact same folder structure that it originally had, and then overwrite the current scenery.cfg, located in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSSX folder, with the backup copy. Depending on how upto date the backup copy is will determine how much reactivation work you will have to do.

Another option could be to download a tool called Scenery Config Editor - see HERE to download and HERE for info/instructions on use.

SCE allows you to add/delete scenery without running FSX/FS2004 and it has an option called 'Generate from Directory' - this, based on what the manual says, basically allows you to do a 'mass' import of scenery from a folder structure. So, for example, if you have a copy of your old scenery install folder structure you could copy it into the new FSX install and then run the 'Generate from Directory' option, point to the scenery location and let it do its magic.

Off course you also now have an opportunity to consider where you actually install the scenery.....
    I have all of mine, bar a few payware items that will only install inside the FSX main folder, outside of FSX. This means that if I have to ever reinstall FSX all that I need to do is ensure that I have a backups of essential files, like the scenery.cfg file, that I can use to replace the new basic files created as part of the re-install - I make regular auto-based backup on a monthly basis all I do manual backups of the scenery.cfg file each time that I add new stuff and also backup the logbook after each flight.

WRT to backups, reinstalls etc - It must be remembered that FSX installs files into a number of locations, which contain essential/valuable files such as the scenery.cfg, logbook, yoke/joystick settings etc, that, unless you have backups, will be lost when you have to go the un-install/re-install route:

The main FSX folder (as dictated by the User)
    C:\ProgramDate\Microsoft\FSX
    C:\Users\<UserAcctName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    Regards

Brian

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by longbreak754 View Post
    Hi Mike,

Any payware items that required on-line activation will definitely require a re-install as there will be associated registry entries tied to the install.

Likewise most payware that have a activation process that does not requires on-line activation but uses a Serial key will most likely need a reinstall for the same reason.

Freeware, and those payware items that have no activation process, should be able to be simply copied back across.

WRT scenery itself - If you have a backup copy of your scenery,cfg file you can simply copy back the scenery into FSX, replicating the exact same folder structure that it originally had, and then overwrite the current scenery.cfg, located in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSSX folder, with the backup copy. Depending on how upto date the backup copy is will determine how much reactivation work you will have to do.

Another option could be to download a tool called Scenery Config Editor - see HERE to download and HERE for info/instructions on use.

SCE allows you to add/delete scenery without running FSX/FS2004 and it has an option called 'Generate from Directory' - this, based on what the manual says, basically allows you to do a 'mass' import of scenery from a folder structure. So, for example, if you have a copy of your old scenery install folder structure you could copy it into the new FSX install and then run the 'Generate from Directory' option, point to the scenery location and let it do its magic.

Off course you also now have an opportunity to consider where you actually install the scenery.....
    I have all of mine, bar a few payware items that will only install inside the FSX main folder, outside of FSX. This means that if I have to ever reinstall FSX all that I need to do is ensure that I have a backups of essential files, like the scenery.cfg file, that I can use to replace the new basic files created as part of the re-install - I make regular auto-based backup on a monthly basis all I do manual backups of the scenery.cfg file each time that I add new stuff and also backup the logbook after each flight.

WRT to backups, reinstalls etc - It must be remembered that FSX installs files into a number of locations, which contain essential/valuable files such as the scenery.cfg, logbook, yoke/joystick settings etc, that, unless you have backups, will be lost when you have to go the un-install/re-install route:

The main FSX folder (as dictated by the User)
    C:\ProgramDate\Microsoft\FSX
    C:\Users\<UserAcctName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    Thanks Brian for your valuable advice! I'm on it but it may take some time figuring it all out!! And I ain't no computer whizkid!! So that's gonna take double the time!! Jeeez!

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2