FSX asks to first load DX9

mikesingh

Hi guys, I reinstalled Win 7 Ultimate on drive C and copied FSX registry files into Windows from the internet. My FSX is on Drive E. However, when I tried to fire up FSX it says to first install DX9 as the present version is not compatible! Win 7 has DX11 as default and is backward compatible. FSX used to work fine before I reinstalled Win 7.

Here's the image....

Untitled-1.jpg

What am I missing?

copied FSX registry files into Windows from the internet.

?? Have no idea what this means!

What am I missing?

I think that FSX needed to be reinstalled after putting in a new Windows install.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yes you are missing some critical DX9c runtimes, so go ahead and update your DirectX9.0c end user runtime with the webinstaller here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35 Choose "Run" to check for updates and autoinstall those missing.

Take no notice of DX11 when running FSX, FSX does not use the DX11 API but may use DX10, you still need an up-to-date DX9c.

......DX11 as default and is backward compatible. …..

Technically, not true and a misleading statement.....

What it actually means is that DX11 will happily co-exist alongside other DX versions you have installed. A newer DX version is not a direct REPLACEMENT for older DX versions as it does not contain a full set of files for the older versions. There is SOME basic backward compatibility between V10, 11 and 12, insofar as some of the core render function files are the same but, in the main, the rest of the files are specific to the DX version.

Therefore, if a product requires v9 then v9 needs to be installed.

If you have a program that can use v10 or v11, and you have only V10 installed it will use it. Install v11 and, in most cases, it will ignore V10 and automatically start using v11.

Of course, a program can only use a specific version of DX only if that versions is itself supported by the GPU.

Regards

Brian

Technically, not true and a misleading statement.....

What it actually means is that DX11 will happily co-exist alongside other DX versions you have installed. A newer DX version is not a direct REPLACEMENT for older DX versions as it does not contain a full set of files for the older versions. There is SOME basic backward compatibility between V10, 11 and 12, insofar as some of the core render function files are the same but, in the main, the rest of the files are specific to the DX version.

Therefore, if a product requires v9 then v9 needs to be installed.

If you have a program that can use v10 or v11, and you have only V10 installed it will use it. Install v11 and, in most cases, it will ignore V10 and automatically start using v11.

Of course, a program can only use a specific version of DX only if that versions is itself supported by the GPU.

Thanks buddy for the info.

Ok, here's what I did to get FSX Deluxe up and running again after I formatted C Drive and reinstalled Win 7. (My FSX is on E drive). Instead of the pain of reinstalling FSX, here's what I did. Thanks to suggestions of friends on this thread!

1. since the relevant registry files were scrubbed due to the reinstall of Win 7 on C drive, I downloaded the FSX Registry:

Untitled-1

2. On firing up FSX another message popped up that DX 9 wasn't installed though Win 7 has DX 11. Installed DX9.

3. Another message popped up saying that MSXML4 SP2 component is not installed. Installed that too.

4. Clicked FSX exe and Eureka! It worked! My FSX is now up and running!! No reinstalling FSX!

5. However all FSX add on sceneries have to be reinstalled and that's gonna be a pain. I'll see if I can get around this too!

6. Thanks to all you guys who helped me crack this issue!

Cheers!

Mike

.....5. However all FSX add on sceneries have to be reinstalled and that's gonna be a pain. I'll see if I can get around this too.....

Hi Mike,

Any payware items that required on-line activation will definitely require a re-install as there will be associated registry entries tied to the install.

Likewise most payware that have a activation process that does not requires on-line activation but uses a Serial key will most likely need a reinstall for the same reason.

Freeware, and those payware items that have no activation process, should be able to be simply copied back across.

WRT scenery itself - If you have a backup copy of your scenery,cfg file you can simply copy back the scenery into FSX, replicating the exact same folder structure that it originally had, and then overwrite the current scenery.cfg, located in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSSX folder, with the backup copy. Depending on how upto date the backup copy is will determine how much reactivation work you will have to do.

Another option could be to download a tool called Scenery Config Editor - see HERE to download and HERE for info/instructions on use.

SCE allows you to add/delete scenery without running FSX/FS2004 and it has an option called 'Generate from Directory' - this, based on what the manual says, basically allows you to do a 'mass' import of scenery from a folder structure. So, for example, if you have a copy of your old scenery install folder structure you could copy it into the new FSX install and then run the 'Generate from Directory' option, point to the scenery location and let it do its magic.

Off course you also now have an opportunity to consider where you actually install the scenery.....

I have all of mine, bar a few payware items that will only install inside the FSX main folder, outside of FSX. This means that if I have to ever reinstall FSX all that I need to do is ensure that I have a backups of essential files, like the scenery.cfg file, that I can use to replace the new basic files created as part of the re-install - I make regular auto-based backup on a monthly basis all I do manual backups of the scenery.cfg file each time that I add new stuff and also backup the logbook after each flight.

WRT to backups, reinstalls etc - It must be remembered that FSX installs files into a number of locations, which contain essential/valuable files such as the scenery.cfg, logbook, yoke/joystick settings etc, that, unless you have backups, will be lost when you have to go the un-install/re-install route:

The main FSX folder (as dictated by the User)

C:\ProgramDate\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Regards

Brian

Hi Mike,

Any payware items that required on-line activation will definitely require a re-install as there will be associated registry entries tied to the install.

Likewise most payware that have a activation process that does not requires on-line activation but uses a Serial key will most likely need a reinstall for the same reason.

Freeware, and those payware items that have no activation process, should be able to be simply copied back across.

WRT scenery itself - If you have a backup copy of your scenery,cfg file you can simply copy back the scenery into FSX, replicating the exact same folder structure that it originally had, and then overwrite the current scenery.cfg, located in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSSX folder, with the backup copy. Depending on how upto date the backup copy is will determine how much reactivation work you will have to do.

Another option could be to download a tool called Scenery Config Editor - see HERE to download and HERE for info/instructions on use.

SCE allows you to add/delete scenery without running FSX/FS2004 and it has an option called 'Generate from Directory' - this, based on what the manual says, basically allows you to do a 'mass' import of scenery from a folder structure. So, for example, if you have a copy of your old scenery install folder structure you could copy it into the new FSX install and then run the 'Generate from Directory' option, point to the scenery location and let it do its magic.

Off course you also now have an opportunity to consider where you actually install the scenery.....

I have all of mine, bar a few payware items that will only install inside the FSX main folder, outside of FSX. This means that if I have to ever reinstall FSX all that I need to do is ensure that I have a backups of essential files, like the scenery.cfg file, that I can use to replace the new basic files created as part of the re-install - I make regular auto-based backup on a monthly basis all I do manual backups of the scenery.cfg file each time that I add new stuff and also backup the logbook after each flight.

WRT to backups, reinstalls etc - It must be remembered that FSX installs files into a number of locations, which contain essential/valuable files such as the scenery.cfg, logbook, yoke/joystick settings etc, that, unless you have backups, will be lost when you have to go the un-install/re-install route:

The main FSX folder (as dictated by the User)

C:\ProgramDate\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Thanks Brian for your valuable advice! I'm on it but it may take some time figuring it all out!! And I ain't no computer whizkid!! So that's gonna take double the time!! Jeeez!

Mike

Archived