Headset Mic hookup to record VATSIM and cockpit conversations

Im trying to figure out the best way to hook up 2 headsets in my 373 cockpit to use the PTT button on the yoke to talk to VATSIM but I still want the mic to be hot to record me talking to co pilot or to the camera and still record the VATSIM convos as well..

How are you setup to do this?

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X: Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON : 16GB DDR4 3000MHz:

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 TI graphics card.

Hi Ohio.

There is a procedure / app? that will allow you to have 2 Headsets connect to the same PC, it's been a long time since I stopped / dismantled my pit, and I do not recall who / what it was.

If you want to just record your audio the simplest way is to have a high sensitivity microphone inside one of your earpieces, I do that in the real flights when I use the GoPro and it's the best way I found to get good sound. That will record anything that gets to your ear.

In the sim, and real flight, you can also get a portable Intercom, either a 2 or 4 places, that also has a Mic output and you can have the Copilot have / use his / her own mic. You can find some inexpensive used on on Ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flightcom-III-Intercom/132690293009?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52885%26meid%3Dd0174b85e4204b9fb635c3e98efdedf0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D273315772868%26itm%3D132690293009&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

If you have a headset (with mic attached to headphones) that is USB then that one you can PTT. A seperate mic with an on/off switch can then be plugged in to your sound panel on back of PC (pink plug). This shouldn't create any static or ground loop (static) problems I don't think. Good luck. The item on link to Ebay says "no warranty" so it is a big risk (no returns either). The other ones listed have 1/4 in plugs (not what you need) and indicates they are OLD, and not 'solid state', so that's a deal breaker.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Your VATSIM application client that interrupts the PTT command is (or at least should be) separate from the video recording App you'll use. So what that means is that the mic input is indeed still continuous so that as you speak the video recording App will record mic in all the time. Yet when you press the PTT button the VATSIM client App will only record mic input when that button is engaged.

You said a camera? What kind of camera? I am under the impression you will be using a video recording program like OBS Studio or FRAPS. If your intention is to record your flight, then one of those Apps would be more suitable rather than a physical camera.

What exactly is your application here? What are your exact requirements?

Archived