FSX and Windows 10 are ganging up on me!

Oldynewby

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for some serious advice from anybody who knows an answer. I recently bought a second-hand copy of FSX and installed it on my XP machine. No problems but I wanted more... Last week I bought a new gaming machine loaded with Windows 10 but all is not well.

I installed FSX and got it working but wasn't able to finalise the installation as I had no web access, due to my wi-fi dongle not being recognised. Installed the drivers for the dongle and my second-hand Saitek switch panel and tried again. The dongle was successful and so, seemingly, was the switch panel.

Tried FSX again and wasn't able to find it in any of the directories so I uninstalled it and tried again. This time it seemed to install OK but when I tried to register it I was unable to because I'd already tried too many times, Also the switch panel has been installed in windows but isn't being seen by FSX.

I've literally been using Windows 10 for a matter of hours and it's a complete mystery to me. I need to know whether I can use the installation key from a different copy of FSX that came bundled with the switch panel, once properly installed will FSX pick up the switch panel and finally, where in Windows 10 do I find FSX to put an icon on the desktop?

Any help will be graciously accepted.

Thanks,

Paul

I don't use Win 10 and never will, well at least for a very, very long time and if and when I do I'll have a hardware-based firewall for it. Anyway, you should make sure you perhaps install FSX as Admin and always, ALWAYS install to the root of drive C:\ The reason is because the programs folder and other folders are emulated and are protected. So add-ons and what not will not work correctly if the Sim is installed under the programs folder.

Someone here who uses Win 10 and has successfully installed FSX may have some better answers.

………...

I tried to register it I was unable to because I'd already tried too many times

I need to know whether I can use the installation key from a different copy of FSX that came bundled with the switch panel,

……………...

Hi Paul,

WRT to the activation problem. You normally get an error code (for example 1607 or 1722) - did you get any such code?

A possible solution is to use the fsx software licensing system reset tool - see HERE

It should also be possible to use the code for the bundled copy of FSX you mentioned. Unless the bundled edition is in someway 'special or limited' (i.e. a non standard version produced specifically for distribution with the panel) it should be a standard FSX verification code.

WRT to the location of FSX files - the default location is within the C:\Program Files (x86) folder structure for the main FSX install and this is where you will find the FSX.exe to create the desktop icon.

Also note that there will also be other essential files installed by default into the following locations...…

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Regards

Brian

By the way, why will you never use Windows 10?

I really don't feel like typing out an essay. But just read the Win 10 EULA and ask yourself, would you use a product like that? Skimming through it I don't even see where it mentions the built-in keylogger.

You'd think with Europe's BS GDPR now they'd start going after Win 10.

Well, It's a personal thing, but, as I have a newish laptop, I prefer an operating system that is optimised for new hardware, & is supported. I'm very happy to have the OS updated, for the same reasons.

Methinks a keylogger is a bit foil hat'ish anyway. Of course Google knows a lot more about me than even I do, & I'm sure we all keep our mobile phones, iPhone & Android, updated.

I actually do not care if I'm tracked going to the toilet. I'm actually such a small fish amongst the total software base users out there, I'm really not concerned.

Anyhow, I hope Paul has been sorted.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

That article was posted on September 4th 2015, & refers to Windows 10 Technical Preview, released on 1 October 2014, & was designed for enthusiasts, developers, and enterprise customers to evaluate the latest changes to Windows. This Technical Preview was NOT a release candidate!

Apart from the Previews, there has been 7 full public versions (not previews) since then, & my version of Windows 10 version 1803, OS build 17134.111 installed (updated) on 01-05-2018 does NOT have Key Logging!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

...…….does NOT have Key Logging!

There is plenty of info out there WRT to the so called Win 10 Key logger. It is not an actual key logging tool in the tradition sense, it is part of the diagnostic system. And, importantly, it is VERY EASY to turn off, as are many of the other privacy related issues that MS gets criticised for. In fact, the latest Win 10 update includes new settings, under the Privacy > Diagnostics and Feedback settings page, to view and delete what information is collected.

CRJ has, in post #7 mentioned the EULA. The EULA, as with many other EULAs, is a very generic document that outlines the basic legal requirements between MS and a User. It actually points the reader, on several occasions, to more relevant information that forms part of the EULA, such as the MS Privacy and Service agreements, that a user must read in conjunction with the EULA. It is in the Privacy Agreement where you will find a clear statement about 'key logging' - the current version of the Speech, Inking and Typing FAQ on Microsoft's Privacy website states:

When your Diagnostic and usage data setting (Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics) is set to Full, your inking and typing input data is sent to Microsoft, and we use this data in the aggregate to improve the inking and typing platform for all users.

Having read a number of items regarding the issue it seems to me that the main criticism that MS gets over the 'key logger' is not that it is included but that it is 'enabled' by default. Why this is such an issue with Win 10 I don't know when you consider that many other OS's (such as android etc), apps and devices also have some form of a 'logger' - how do you think the predictive text function work on your phone for example - which are ofte3m enabled by default

Like with anything else, the views given by any single source is very much dependant on the overall mindset of the website visited - go to a 'tin foil hat' or 'conspiracy type site you get loads of often over-exaggerated hype about how much you are being 'spied' upon, go to a decent tech based forum and you get good balanced/unbiased info, including details on what it does and how to disable it.

Regards

Brian

I'm just going to go ahead and poke a fork in your thought process and say a key logger is not required for predictive text. It works much the same way as Chrome, Firefox or any other modern browser where if the browser thinks the word is misspelled the browser will underline it.

But I digress. I have a funny felling Chrome or Firefox will one day have a keylogger for reasons that are asinine and everyone will rave about it. The future is Orwellian and complacency in terms of privacy is lunacy.

Thanks, Brian. I agree with your above comments.

Anyone can be "master of their fate' by simply going to the settings menu & configuring whatever you want to.

Most interesting are the comments from those that have never tried Windows 10, & slate it!

Shall we not use Google, or any other search engine, because it 'remembers' what we searched for?

Anyhow, that's the weekend almost done..

Cheers for now,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

How would Google remember what I search for when I use Duck Duck Go and I never store cookies and cache on browser exit?

Point is, there are proactive steps that can be taken to not be a statistic. With Win 10 that means a whole hell of a lot of things you need to do because the OS is that much bloated with privacy invading crap. I chose to have control over my OS.

If you cannot get FSX registered anmore, why not install FSX-Steam for a few bucks?

It's relatively free of problems inherent to the discs and no registration problems

even with several reinstalls, if needed. I've been using Steam since Nov 2015 and

It's been pretty hassle-free. Even with many unstoppible updates Win, 10 has not caused

any noticible problems for me in FSX...

Thanks for the replies guys. Brian, there wasn't any error code but I've solved the problem by getting a new registration key from Microsoft, easy as pie!

Pepper321 I was seriously considering Steam as an option but I don't really understand it. Is the $299.99 or whatever a single payment or do I have to purchase membership to Steam as well?

……. was seriously considering Steam as an option but I don't really understand it. Is the $299.99 or whatever a single payment or do I have to purchase membership to Steam as well?

Hi Paul,

As pointed out by CRJ Steam is free - you only pay for the games you purchase.

To use Steam you need to download and install what is called the Steam Client - see HERE - you can get the client via the green Install Steam button located at top right. This is an interface between the Steam servers, shop, your purchases etc. Part of the install process will include creating a free account through which you purchase, download and, if you wish, play the game.

When you purchase a game, it becomes available for downloading in your 'library' area on your account page. You download and install it and then activate the game via the Steam client.

Once you have installed and completed the activation process you can either play the game 'online' via the client or, by changing a few simple client settings, play the game in 'offline' mode - this can be done even if there is an active internet connection, especially important if you have a 'limited' data package. Most Steam based games can be played in 'offline' mode - only those designed to be played online (MMO's etc) need to have an active internet connection.

Updates to any purchased item are also delivered via the client as and when available. Again though, you can change how these are delivered. The default setting is to deliver them when an active internet connection is available/detected but you can change it so that updates are only delivered when you start the game or, my preferred option, when you actually visit the Steam webpage. You can also disable, pause, resume or check for any updates via your library page. It is worth noting that you can not stop updates to the client itself - updates will automatically be download as and when available and the next time you start the client it will be automatically updated before fully loading.

WRT the cost - that is a very steep price - are you sure you went to the 'real' Steam website - see above. The base product usually sells for about $30 or so but is often on sale for less. There are 'bundles' that are available that include the base product plus selected addons and obviously they cost more - maybe this is what you found.

A word regarding addons - you don't need to purchase -SE payware addons direct from the Steam library. As FSX-SE is basically a slightly updated version of the boxed Gold edition of FSX, most, if not all, FSX payware addons will work with -SE - as do freeware stuff.

All that you need to remember is that the Steam install process will 'bury' the install slightly deeper than a boxed version does - by default into the standard recommended folder structure (C:\Progam Files (x86)……….) and, depending on how a payware product's installer 'searches' for the FSX install location, this can cause issues.

However, you can alleviate this by ensuring that you install the Steam client in a folder other than the recommended location - for example I have my Steam client installed at D:\Steam. The Steam client install location, by default, also acts the location where your Steam games are installed.

A final tip regarding Steam products - if you add a potential future buy to your account 'wish list' page, you will get an email notification when it is on sell.

Regards

Brian

And since the client installs to the programs folder I would venture away from that and install to the root of C drive or a second drive in your computer like D. The reason is due to the programs folder being emulated by Windows and that can cause problems for some add-ons.

Where are you getting that number?

Hi Paul,

As pointed out by CRJ Steam is free - you only pay for the games you purchase.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the confusion that should have been $29.99, but thanks for the explanation.

Paul.

You have a limited number of activations with FSX. If you go beyond that, you can get it reset by calling Microsoft. They are a good company that take care of their customers.

I think the number automatically resets as well, but that can take a few months. (not sure non this.)

Well done fixing it. Happy Flights.

Oh, and Win10 is fine. Stick with it. "They" are not after you.:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived