Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FSX and Windows 10 are ganging up on me!

Default FSX and Windows 10 are ganging up on me!

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for some serious advice from anybody who knows an answer. I recently bought a second-hand copy of FSX and installed it on my XP machine. No problems but I wanted more... Last week I bought a new gaming machine loaded with Windows 10 but all is not well.

I installed FSX and got it working but wasn't able to finalise the installation as I had no web access, due to my wi-fi dongle not being recognised. Installed the drivers for the dongle and my second-hand Saitek switch panel and tried again. The dongle was successful and so, seemingly, was the switch panel.

Tried FSX again and wasn't able to find it in any of the directories so I uninstalled it and tried again. This time it seemed to install OK but when I tried to register it I was unable to because I'd already tried too many times, Also the switch panel has been installed in windows but isn't being seen by FSX.

I've literally been using Windows 10 for a matter of hours and it's a complete mystery to me. I need to know whether I can use the installation key from a different copy of FSX that came bundled with the switch panel, once properly installed will FSX pick up the switch panel and finally, where in Windows 10 do I find FSX to put an icon on the desktop?

Any help will be graciously accepted.

Thanks,

Paul

Did you install FSX to the default location? If so, FSX should be under Program Files\Microsoft\Games\FSX or something very similar. Good Luck!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

I don't use Win 10 and never will, well at least for a very, very long time and if and when I do I'll have a hardware-based firewall for it. Anyway, you should make sure you perhaps install FSX as Admin and always, ALWAYS install to the root of drive C:\ The reason is because the programs folder and other folders are emulated and are protected. So add-ons and what not will not work correctly if the Sim is installed under the programs folder.

Someone here who uses Win 10 and has successfully installed FSX may have some better answers.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

FSX works very well in Windows 10. Just install into C:\, run as Admin & maybe in XP compatibility mode.
    It actually runs a teeny bit smoother than older sims, as does FS9.

Have a look here as well:
    https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-...-x-windows-10/

By the way, why will you never use Windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldynewby View Post
    ………...

I tried to register it I was unable to because I'd already tried too many times

I need to know whether I can use the installation key from a different copy of FSX that came bundled with the switch panel,

……………...
    Hi Paul,

WRT to the activation problem. You normally get an error code (for example 1607 or 1722) - did you get any such code?

A possible solution is to use the fsx software licensing system reset tool - see HERE

It should also be possible to use the code for the bundled copy of FSX you mentioned. Unless the bundled edition is in someway 'special or limited' (i.e. a non standard version produced specifically for distribution with the panel) it should be a standard FSX verification code.

WRT to the location of FSX files - the default location is within the C:\Program Files (x86) folder structure for the main FSX install and this is where you will find the FSX.exe to create the desktop icon.

Also note that there will also be other essential files installed by default into the following locations...…

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
    C:\Users\<YourAcctName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    By the way, why will you never use Windows 10?

I really don't feel like typing out an essay. But just read the Win 10 EULA and ask yourself, would you use a product like that? Skimming through it I don't even see where it mentions the built-in keylogger.

You'd think with Europe's BS GDPR now they'd start going after Win 10.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Well, It's a personal thing, but, as I have a newish laptop, I prefer an operating system that is optimised for new hardware, & is supported. I'm very happy to have the OS updated, for the same reasons.

Methinks a keylogger is a bit foil hat'ish anyway. Of course Google knows a lot more about me than even I do, & I'm sure we all keep our mobile phones, iPhone & Android, updated.

I actually do not care if I'm tracked going to the toilet. I'm actually such a small fish amongst the total software base users out there, I'm really not concerned.

Anyhow, I hope Paul has been sorted.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

That article was posted on September 4th 2015, & refers to Windows 10 Technical Preview, released on 1 October 2014, & was designed for enthusiasts, developers, and enterprise customers to evaluate the latest changes to Windows. This Technical Preview was NOT a release candidate!

Apart from the Previews, there has been 7 full public versions (not previews) since then, & my version of Windows 10 version 1803, OS build 17134.111 installed (updated) on 01-05-2018 does NOT have Key Logging!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast