Does using reverse thrust under 60 knots damage the engines?

i could not find any answer on google, so im asking here

When i got FSpassengers in FSX i did my first flight and i got a penalty for using reverse thrust under 60 knots and that could have damaged the engine, if it does not damage the engine, then when should i stop the reverse thrust?

I don't know all the potential answers, but one reason is the potential for FOD (Foreign Object Damage), that is, kicking up debris (throwing it forward, of course) that might get sucked up into the engine.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I don't know all the potential answers, but one reason is the potential for FOD (Foreign Object Damage), that is, kicking up debris (throwing it forward, of course) that might get sucked up into the engine.

I also thought of that

Hi everyone.

As a disclaimer, I agree that you should Not push back using Reverse thrust, but I know more that one pilot that did that on regular basis, with DC-9 and others, at certain airports.

The reasoning for that was to save Time and Tug costs.

Hi everyone.

As a disclaimer, I agree that you should Not push back using Reverse thrust, but I know more that one pilot that did that on regular basis, with DC-9 and others, at certain airports.

I did many powerbacks in the MD80. The ramp crew would perform a 'FOD check' before each one to ensure that nuts, bolts, luggage tags, etc, weren't lying around. It's been a long time, but as I recall that on landing, we were advised to be at idle reverse by 80 knots and out of reverse by 60, conditions permitting. At some point, management decided it was cheaper to do it the old fashioned way.

Hi everyone.

I know my father did that regularly in the 737 he flew as his career was winding down. Due to age, not any actions on his part.

He was a UAL pilot. Started out flying as a Naval Aviation Flight Instructor, in the SNJ's. Gives you some idea of the time frame :D

Eventually the practice was banned at most airports, due to the prevalence of large windows overlooking the ramp and parking areas. Kind of upset my father, but he dealt with it.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived