How to back-up P3Dv4? Size of your P3D folder?

oneleg

I have P3D installed in a huge non-system drive with other stuff that I don't want to back up. And because of disk size, disk imaging is not an option.

1. What file, folder, or registry entries should I back up?

2. What is the size of your P3D folder (mine is a new install so it is less than 35 GB)?

Thanks.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

I have P3D installed in a huge non-system drive with other stuff that I don't want to back up. And because of disk size, disk imaging is not an option.

1. What file, folder, or registry entries should I back up?

2. What is the size of your P3D folder (mine is a new install so it is less than 35 GB)?

Thanks.

Anything that is reinstallable (Client, Content and Scenery) doesn't need to be backed up.

Dont know why you would want to back up anything else as it will be a good opportunity to clean out useless clutter?

Anything that is reinstallable (Client, Content and Scenery) doesn't need to be backed up.

Dont know why you would want to back up anything else as it will be a good opportunity to clean out useless clutter?[/quote

Lots of test installs and uninstalls or changes on the system and P3D folder and hence the need for backups but not much change on other items. Items which do not change frequently are archival (older installation of fsx and other flight sims). Thanks.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Dont know why you would want to back up anything else as it will be a good opportunity to clean out useless clutter?[/quote

Lots of test installs and uninstalls or changes on the system and P3D folder and hence the need for backups but not much change on other items. Items which do not change frequently are archival (older installation of fsx and other flight sims). Thanks.

Not with P3D if you, or the developer, knows what they are doing: There is no need to back up anything in ANY default folder if the developer has used the addon method of installing to the (recommended) Prepar3d Addons folder, (and no reason to be testing anything for any installer that doesn't use that folder as it's NOT compliant). Ensure the Prepar3d Addons folder is NOT deleted by any playing around with a non-system drive and I repeat: Why would you you want to do anything other than simply reinstall the software?

Only a couple of known addons mess with default files and you aren't testing them.

Yes. Thanks.

Yes. Thanks.

Look at anything you intend to `test` to ensure it is compliant with the L-M methodology. If it isn't, don't test it because you risk breaking your system - and hence needing a complete reinstallation anyway.

If you are testing something for yourself, then you should know the `right` way to install it without affecting any default files. If you don't, then same recommendation applies. You can't inflict faulty installation on a simmer, so why use it for yourself?

Archived