Add-on Scenery Files for FS2004

flybouy

Having to re-install FS2004 after losing & upgrading my motherboard & also upgrading my hard drives. Have copied Add-on Scenery file folder from my most recent install & find that the Scenery Library Priorities are different. Were are the priority files kept.

Hi,

The 'Priority' scheduling is based on how you have them listed on the scenery settings page and the associated entries are stored in the scnery.cfg file. By default, the latest scenery that you add is added at P1 (i.e. at the top of the list).

It is important to understand that When you add new scenery it is 'allocated' a number of 'settings', two of which 'help' define its 'hierarchy' within the libarary:

1. [Area.XXX] allocation - when new scenery is added it takes on the next sequential number. There can be NO gaps within the sequence - you will get an error message about missing scenery areas. This number remains 'allocated' to the scenery in question until it is deleted via the Settings page.

2. Layer=XXX allocation. when new scenery is added it takes on the next sequential number after the most current number used. Unlike the [Area.XXX] entry, it is possible have gaps in the sequence. When you move scenery up or down the priority listing it is the Layer= entry that changes.

Normally, for most users, when you add new scenery it will take on the same Area/Layer number (i.e. [Area.222 and Layer=222) but, if you have made numerous changes to the priority listing and have deleted some scenery, this may not always be the case and you may see something like [Area.222] and Layer=241.

The easiest/simplest way for most users is to go to the main FS2004 scenery settings page, highlight the entry you want to move and then click on the Move Up or Move Down button as appropriate. When you have finished and close the window the changes will be saved to the scenery.cfg file.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian. When you mentioned the scenery.cfg file, it all came back. Re-installed from my back-up to my new FS9 install & was back in business. I've created so many files over the past twenty years, like boating traffic on the Great Lakes etc, that I didn't want to loose. Again, thank you very much

Hi guys,

great piece of info. I actually do not use the scenery activation in FS but always just add file with (scenery and texture) to the scenery.cfg making it the next number in sequence. Never failed me. Also the tricks in priorities can be adjusted directly in scenery.cfg. Give and take, we all have the different ways to do things.

Cheers

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Peter,

I, like you, rarely use the FS settings page to control my scenery - I normally manually add/amend the entries and use a tool called Scenery Config Editor (SCE) to check for possible errors every now and then.

Actually, I no longer use FS2004, solely a FSX user now, but I 'learnt' the tricks of manually editing the scenery.cfg file when I was running both sims together and using a lot of FS2004 scenery (mainly MAIW packages) in FSX. Then, as now, my addon scenery is all, bar a few payware items, stored outside of the FS folder structure.

WRT SCE - its a great freeware tool that supports both FS2004 and FSX - see HERE to download and HERE for info/instructions. You add/delete scenery using a similar process as using the sim settings page but one of the best things about it, especially for FS2004 users, is that you do so without starting the sim. It can also be used to edit the .cfg file as it has an inbuilt editor which has a handy utility in that, if there is an error with a entry, the editor will open directly at that entry. It also gives basic error details that may help with fixing the problem.

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong, I have downloaded, and set up scnery.cfg file correctly I think, but if I add more than 2 new areas, the next time I open FS2004 I get the messages EG scenery not found in scenery area 38 which on my system is default terrain, and the next one says not found in area 34 which is Asia, and as these are UK sceneries why should they?? I am totaly confused, someone please help.

Archived