Long time flight-simmer, first REAL flight!

dnpaul

For Christmas last year, my wife got me a voucher for a "fun flight" at our local airport, KCMI, with the Parkland College Institute of Aviation in Champaign, IL. These flights are 30 minutes with a flight instructor, but generally, the client is strictly a passenger. We did the flight last month. I told my wife and my son (my son came along for the ride) that I thought there was a small chance I would be allowed to take the controls briefly, most likely in level flight at altitude.

The instructor talked to me for a few minutes as I told him about my sim flying experience (almost 20 years), and asked me what I would be comfortable doing. I told him whatever he was ok with, lol!

The flight was in a fairly well-used but excellently maintained Archer III. We did the walk-around, and he had me get in the left seat! We went through the checklists and I did all the pre-flight flows.

Essentially, I flew the entire flight from takeoff to landing! The instructor worked the radios and the elevator trim control. I did everything else. We flew about 5 miles to my son's house, did a couple of photo laps, then headed out another 8 miles to my house, and did the same. We then flew back to the airport and got to watch an Embraer 145 (American Eagle) take off as we were flying the base leg. I then landed the plane perfectly on the numbers!

I have been lucky enough to do many cool things, and have flown as a passenger on many enjoyable commercial flights. But this was probably the coolest thing I've ever done. I still can't believe it.

So you're allowed to fly a plane without a license? I'd like to see about doing that at my local airport. That would be awesome!

As long as the CFI is rated for that aircraft, they can let me take the controls. They remain the Pilot in Command.

Congratulations! That sounds like a great time and feels very affirming to see your knowledge of flight sim translated to the real plane. It gets in your heart and makes you want to go again and again, doesn’t it?

Kevin

Congratulations! That sounds like a great time and feels very affirming to see your knowledge of flight sim translated to the real plane. It gets in your heart and makes you want to go again and again, doesn’t it?

Kevin

Yep! I told the instructor that I would be back! When we got done I was like "Wow, that was cool." and he was like "Yeah, that WAS cool!" :cool:

The fun flights here are normally $189. My wife got mine on a coupon site for $100!

The introductory flight lesson is $250. That's my next step!

Wow, have things changed! When i wanted to learn to fly, solo flight was $99, they had a Private Pilot Package up to 40hrs $749. I did the $99 and then i decided to pay dual instruction time by the hour as I didn't have $749 to fork out in one shot! So I flew when i had the money to pay for either solo flight or dual instruction. Back then you could rent a C150 for $9/hr wet and I think the dual rate with the 150 was about $17/hr!

Anyway, I am so happy for you that you had the opportunity to do that! Nice wife you have to give you that kind of gift! Yes, that would be an exciting day if you have never done it! Please keep us posted if you continue on with the instructions and maybe getting your PPL?

I have my PPL, but i am not using it. I've had some health issues, which probably wouldn't prevent me from starting again. The amount of money they get now for rentals (mainly do to maintenance costs and the high price of fuel), i could ill-afford the price of getting back into flying, especially being on retirement income! I did have friend that ran a parachute jump center, had a Cessna 170B model, and I flew for him, got plenty of hours doing that, no cost to me, and even got free jump instructions and free jumps anytime i chose! Nice while it lasted, but these jumpers have to mercy on the pilot. You fly from Saturday morning until late Sunday evening, and it will definitely whip you!

Anyway, very good to hear! Congratulations on the first flight. I bet the instructor was surprised how well you did!

Happy flying! - Rick

Leading Edge Flight Training and The Flying School are the two flight schools that show on a google search for KFNL. Leading Edge has an intro flight for $94.95, and they both rent aircraft in the $130-$200+ range per hour wet, plus instructor (didn't see their rates).

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Archived