FSX Acceleration download to FSX

swede1

Probably a simple question. I downloaded the Milviz MD530. Would only load A/C to the FS list. I looked a little closer and the download requires the FSX-Acceleration installed. Question...if I purchase the Acceleration Pack, can I just allow it to install itself with the default downloader? And will this go in with no disasters? I am not 'puter literate enough to handle anything much more than that. Appreciate any info for the 'puter challenged..........:confused:

Are you running FSX with SP1 and SP2 now? If so, the 2 SPs should be uninstalled before installing the Acceleration disc. Where did you download the Milviz MD530 from?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I didn't know you could download the Acceleration pack from anywhere......

Jorgen

Ya know, people tend to intertwine the terms "download" and "install" all of the time.;)

From Milviz....so . I understand you can't be a club member unless you use download and install correctly? OK, in my world people also screw the pooch with clip and magazine. Hopefully the New Kid beatdown is done and all our egos are satisfied. Again, with FSX SDK showing as all that's on the computer, and the requirements for the sim state that "Pack 2" and "Steam" is necessary. Can I just "Install" Steam using the default installer and be good to go? I can do without a personal "Chernobyl" with my computer!

• 2 weeks later...

If you d/l and install FSX:SE, you now have FSX with SP1, SP2, Acceleration, and any other add-on Microsoft made for FSX. You also have a better FSX.CFG file.

I use FSX:SE, and it works great.

By the way, don't be fooled. It's default install is to C:\Program Files(X86), but from everything I've read, that's a BAD idea. Install it anywhere else. Put it in C:\, or D:\My Games, or whatever you want, just NOT in C:\Program Files, or C:\Program File(X86) .

When you do, Steam will make a lengthy, and complex (relatively), folder tree, with FSX down in it.

Thus: D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Notice I had it install to my D:\. Steam added the rest of the folders, and many others, during the install. From what I understand, you can also have Steam install it's folder structure in one place, and FSX in another, but I haven't experimented with that. This works for me.

And, just as with FSX (Boxed), you can install your add-on scenery files anywhere you like, as long as the sim can "see" the location when you go to add it into the Scenery Library. Kind of handy, as add-on scenery's can add up to a lot of space usage on a HD.

I made a shortcut to the FSX folder, as well as others, such as C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, where it places FSX.cfg (WIN7, anyway), and various other folders you might need/want. That saves me a lot of time clicking on folder trees to get to where I want to be to add planes, change .cfg files, you name it.

People on this forum DO like to joke around a bit, BTW. Don't take is so seriously. We're just having a little fun.

Good luck, and hope this all helps.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

" By the way, don't be fooled. It's default install is to C:\Program Files(X86), but from everything I've read, that's a BAD idea. Install it anywhere else. Put it in C:\, or D:\My Games, or whatever you want, just NOT in C:\Program Files, or C:\Program File(X86) .

When you do, Steam will make a lengthy, and complex (relatively), folder tree, with FSX down in it.

Notice I had it install to my D:\. Steam added the rest of the folders, and many others, during the install. "

Pat: I purchased FSXSE about 3 weeks ago, and not knowing diddly squat, I installed it right in with my old Standard boxed edition. Yes, it got installed in Program File (X86). Since then I have downloaded and installed many planes and scenery's, have run the crap out of the thing, and FSXSE has performed beautifully. Not so much as a glitch. Much superior to my old boxed edition in every way. I love FSXSE.

Why are you saying that it going into the default location at C:\Program File(X86), is such a Bad Idea ? And what, or when can I expect it to go wrong ? Don't the Steam people know what they are doing ? Please explain. I installed Steam using their simple prompts, it went in perfectly, and I have been very impressed with it's performance. Did I do something very wrong ?

Jim

Edited by GBJim
Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

" By the way, don't be fooled. It's default install is to C:\Program Files(X86), but from everything I've read, that's a BAD idea. Install it anywhere else. Put it in C:\, or D:\My Games, or whatever you want, just NOT in C:\Program Files, or C:\Program File(X86) .

Notice I had it install to my D:\. Steam added the rest of the folders, and many others, during the install. "

Pat: I purchased FSXSE about 3 weeks ago, and not knowing diddly squat, I installed it right in with my old Standard boxed edition. Yes, it got installed in Program File (X86). Since then I have downloaded and installed many planes and scenery's, have run the crap out of the thing, and FSXSE has performed beautifully. Not so much as a glitch. Much superior to my old boxed edition in every way. I love FSXSE.

Why are you saying that it going into the default location at C:\Program File(X86), is such a Bad Idea ? And what, or when can I expect it to go wrong ? Don't the Steam people know what they are doing ? Please explain. I installed Steam using their simple prompts, it went in perfectly, and I have been very impressed with it's performance. Did I do something very wrong ?

Jim

Jim - I installed my FSX Gold boxed edition (minus the acceleration disk) 5-6 years ago, and not knowing or hearing of the warnings about not installing the program into the Program File (X86), that is exactly where my FSX got installed to! I have since then, at latest count, accumulated some 177 aircraft, combination of default and freeware downloads! No issues to speak of, so far! AND, that's where it will remain until I start having issues. It was my understanding that most of the problems were with scenery add-ons, I might be mistaken, but that is my understanding? I am not big on scenery add-ons, as I am very pleased the way my computer performs right now and I am not going to load it up with scenery add-ons or the acceleration disk for FSX, for fear that might send my computer over the edge of what it is giving me right now!

I wouldn't be too worried about where your FSX is residing until you start having issues, which may not ever happen? If it is performing well for you and you have not had any issues so far, I think you will be "good to go!" If you "go down in flames" as a result of where you installed the program, rest assurred, I will probably be right behind you!

Happy flying and enjoy your flight sim! - Rick

As long as you guys aren't trying to edit aircraft.cfg or panel.cfgs you probably won't have any problems with FSX or SE installed in the default location.

@Larry...I have seen many times where someone says they can't see an aircraft that they have downloaded. I check the download they have tried and it does not have an auto-installer. Then the conversation goes back and forth about "I downloaded it to Simobjects/Airplanes folder" Then we go back and forth about "Did you actually download it to there or installed it there".

I have actually had someone download the .zip file to the simobjects/airplanes and complained it would not show. Can't remember if it was here, SOH, or AVSIM.

As long as you guys aren't trying to edit aircraft.cfg or panel.cfgs you probably won't have any problems with FSX or SE installed in the default location.

Mr Z, if your reference "you guys" is directed towards Jim and me, I will reply to your comment from me! I edit aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files all the time. Seems like that is a necessity in downloading/installing freeware aircraft! I have had no issues doing so, at least, not to blame where my flight sim program was downloaded! I'd love to hear some examples of this, as it surely isn't happening with my installation! Maybe Jim can read your comment and my reply and see if he is noticing any problems on his side!

Rick :cool:

I installed my FSX on my D:\ drive. However when ever I edit a .txt or .cfg file inside the C:\Program Files, just have to remember to open Notepad as Administrator first.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Mr Z, if your reference "you guys" is directed towards Jim and me, I will reply to your comment from me! I edit aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files all the time. Seems like that is a necessity in downloading/installing freeware aircraft! I have had no issues doing so, at least, not to blame where my flight sim program was downloaded! I'd love to hear some examples of this, as it surely isn't happening with my installation! Maybe Jim can read your comment and my reply and see if he is noticing any problems on his side!

Rick :cool:

OK, as long as you are not using WinXP like me. Possible that you are running FSX as Admin or have your permissions set correctly so UAC doesn't stop you in your tracks?

Sorry, should have said youze guys!;)

Maybe dogdish has the answer!

Edited by mrzippy

" Maybe Jim can read your comment and my reply and see if he is noticing any problems on his side! "

Yup ! I modify the Aircraft CFG file all the time also, no problems whatsoever . I consider it as part of my pleasure in owning the Sim, and improving aircraft to my own unusual standards. :rolleyes: Sorry, but I didn't come here to start a war. :( Maybe it's just a combination of errors on my part that things are working so well for me ? Oh, and yes ...... I do use Notepad to work on the CFG file .

I come in peace.

Jim

Pope James.gif

Edited by GBJim

I installed my FSX on my D:\ drive. However when ever I edit a .txt or .cfg file inside the C:\Program Files, just have to remember to open Notepad as Administrator first.

Dogdish - See, that's what I don't understand. I loaded my FSX according to Microsoft instructions, and I have never had any issues with editing aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg files, NEVER. I've never had to do anything you are mentioning, Opening notepad as Administrator first. Tonite, I was doing some tweaking to a panel config and I noticed the changes I was making to the panel.cfg was also showing the notepad open in the lower task bar. I just made a change from internet explorer to Google Chrome and I have never noticed notepad open in the task bar until i made that change to Chrome!

All I know, many on here will tell me, tell Jim (GBJim) that we loaded the FSX program wrong (and this is the consensus of those who have had problems loading FSX in Program Files (x86). This is what you should be seeing and feeling, kind of like what a doctor can tell you what kind of pain or no pain you should be feeling? If I loaded the program according to Microsoft and contrary to popular belief, and the computer is running FSX just fine, I am not concerned with it! It performs fine, it allows me to tweak the aircraft and panel cfg files just fine, and I am fine with the installation! As i stated earlier, I thought I had 177 aircraft in my collection, but one recent download just added another 5 to it. If I were having problems, I don't know how I could accumulate that amount without changing the FSX installation to something other than what I have!

Jim - I in no way want a war either! The point I was trying to make with you. I too, loaded according to Microsoft and all is good, NO PROBLEMO! It hasn't been an issue for me and sounds like not an issue for your installation either! All is good over here in Sunny Florida and the sim still makes me smile!

Have a nice evening guys and gals! - Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

" All I know, many on here will tell me, tell Jim (GBJim) that we loaded the FSX program wrong (and this is the consensus of those who have had problems loading FSX in Program Files (x86). I too, loaded according to Microsoft and all is good, NO PROBLEMO! It hasn't been an issue for me and sounds like not an issue for your installation either! All is good over here in Sunny Florida and the sim still makes me smile! "

You nailed it Rick. I too, really don't understand all of the problems that I read about here in these forums. FSX SE forever ! ! ! :)

Jim

Edited by GBJim

The installs to C:\Program Files(X86) may not be a problem for you, and others with older Windows versions, especially with the UAC turned waay down, or off.

Windows 10, from all I hear, will have severe personal problems with permitting any sort of editing in the folder in question. Win10 doesn't seem to care where or how you set the UAC permissions. It doesn't permit editing files in those two folders.

I'm getting this information from posts here, and on the other sim forums. I personally don't have Win10, and I'll avoid it as long as I can. I also don't install anything into the two "evil folders", ever. By the same token, I always start programs, like FSX, NotePad++, Notepad, AICarriers, you name it, as Administrator. It's just become a habit for me. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

When I warned against installing FSX, or FSX:SE, into C:\Program Files (X86) I was simply passing along what I've read here, and other forums. If it's working for you, and has been, and keeps on working, for you, then great. I'm glad to hear it. Really I am. :)

I'm still going to warn against installing anything you plan to change, or edit somehow, into the two "bad" folders, though. It seems to be the consensus among the people with experience doing such things, so what the heck.

Besides, it can't hurt anything NOT to install "stuff" there, you know?

If you have a setup you're happy with, and works well, then more power to ya, by all means, go with it.

And, as I usually recommend...

Have fun, all! :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Remember that FSX-SE will automatically install in a STEAM folder under Program Files (x86). If you already have other STEAM programs installed, and try to install FSX-SE directly on C: drive, things may get screwed up. I would think that the STEAM folder itself must be installed directly on C: drive - if you can, that is.

I have FSX-SE installed automatically under the STEAM folder in Program Files (x86) in Win 10 and everything works just fine, but I have had no need to edit any files.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

This says the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) is supposed to be blocked from editing to thwart malware from writing to the files within. So I guess those who don't have to edit as administrator are probably more prone to viral attacks...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/access-denied-on-editing-file-under-cprogram-files/a3f86105-225c-4ce3-ad73-6e0394184aa7

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

This says the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) is supposed to be blocked from editing to thwart malware from writing to the files within. So I guess those who don't have to edit as administrator are probably more prone to viral attacks...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/access-denied-on-editing-file-under-cprogram-files/a3f86105-225c-4ce3-ad73-6e0394184aa7

Dogdish - You know what? We could kick this thing around for the rest of our lives, but it has not really solved anything. Microsoft says to download to the default path of C:|Program Files (x86), members of Flightsim.com say, "No, no, don't do that, you will bring on problems to yourself if you do! Load the program in a separate directory and all will be good!

I did exactly as others have done, followed the instructions by Microsoft and have not had any adverse problems with running or managing the program in the past 5+ years I have had it! Mr Z last evening said "youze" guys will probably be okay until you try to edit either aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg files and then you might see the reasoning why you should not download as Microsoft suggests! I do edit these files on most all of the freeware downloads I have added to my collection. It has not given me a bit of trouble doing so!

I'm not going to entertain discussing this any longer! Last evening, I merely jumped in on the conversation to assure GBJim, that I too, had installed FSX to the C:\Programs (x86) directory, and not to worry, as I had not had any problems what-so-ever with doing so! Big mistake on wanting to participate with a fellow member on this site! More often than not, you usually get caught up in a confrontation of some sort, because your opinion doesn't agree with others! I have finally gotten beyond that!

I stopped listening to Microsoft since they tried to push Windows 10 down everyone's throat, they let Internet Explorer 11 go by the wayside, and what a mess I had with that! Seems like they are letting it go to the newer Edge which I hear is also going to be a nightmare. No thanks, Microsoft, you have lost my business for sure! At the present, I moved on to Google Chrome for a browser, my Flight Simulator X still runs perfectly, even though I installed it to the wrong directory! "It is what it is!" It will not get changed until it starts being an issue and that hasn't happened in the 5+ years it's been installed!

Continue to encourage new members wanting to join the flight sim community, to make sure they download their flight sim to your choice of installs. I guess I was too late to get the word and I just followed the instructions I had at the time! It works, and that to me is all that matters!

I fly these simulated aircraft, I edit the files to make them somewhat better than I received them and life goes on! I am pleased with what I have, not looking to move on to anything different!

Have a nice day! Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Short story ...... And then I'm outta here. A friend of mine, who is even more computer illiterate than I am, if you can believe that, took his computer in to the Best Buy Geeks to get his FSX boxed running. The computer came back with FSX still screwed up. He was just looking for basic performance, he wasn't into editing and such. And so, it was back in to see the Geeks again. This time, the Geeks uninstalled Windows 10, and installed windows 7, and now he is as happy as a clam.

Adios

Happy-Clam.gif

Edited by GBJim

Short story ...... And then I'm outta here. A friend of mine, who is even more computer illiterate than I am, if you can believe that, took his computer in to the Best Buy Geeks to get his FSX boxed running. The computer came back with FSX still screwed up. He was just looking for basic performance, he wasn't into editing and such. And so, it was back in to see the Geeks again. This time, the Geeks uninstalled Windows 10, and installed windows 7, and now he is as happy as a clam.

Adios

Jim - I can believe that for more than one reason, did he get the same tech to look at it again, or did he luck out and got someone new that was Pro Windows 7? I have nothing against Windows 10, plenty of people out their running that system and are quite pleased with it. I run Windows 7 Professional, and it has been good to me. I currently have had some minor issues since going to an external disk drive, and maybe some of my settings did not agree with system, but I am sorting that out and I think I just about have those minor issues resolved!

Anyway, glad he got the FSX going, for sure! Rick :cool:

Remember that FSX-SE will automatically install in a STEAM folder under Program Files (x86). If you already have other STEAM programs installed, and try to install FSX-SE directly on C: drive, things may get screwed up. I would think that the STEAM folder itself must be installed directly on C: drive - if you can, that is.

I have FSX-SE installed automatically under the STEAM folder in Program Files (x86) in Win 10 and everything works just fine, but I have had no need to edit any files.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Just so you know, if you want, and you don't have to, but if you want, you can install Steam, and FSX:SE, where you want.

I have mine on my D:\ drive, and it works fine there.

Again, though, if you want to, please feel free to install Steam, and FSX:SE where you want. If you want to place things in C:\Program Files(X86), and it works for you there, go for it.

I won't, just for my peace of mind, but that's just me on my system.

It's your system, and you payed for FSX:SE. Put what you want, where you want. :)

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm serious.

What works for you is great. I wish you all the best. I am not a all-knowing PC Guru. Just another user, just like y'all.

Enjoy the sim, however you use it. :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

UAC - User Account Control.

Introduced in Windows7

Protects the files in:

C/Windows

C/Program Files (x986)

C/Program Files

and several other places safe from changes by other programs.

This protection is very important.

If a program runs, and starts changing Operating system files, you OS is permanently damaged.

And if a program in C:/Program Files (x86) gets changed, it can have big problems as well.

An attack often used by malware was to run, and change a file in your anti virus program. With the antivirus damaged, it would seem to run, scan and remove threats as always, but would actually not remove anything at all. THis attack can be as simple as clicking on an online link, and used to be the prime way of infection in XP times. (Windows XP does not have UAC)

How does UAC protect these folders? It keeps files of one user safe from editing by other users.

When you run a program, it runs with your account's credentials. That means it can only change/edit files that you created.

Operating system files were not put there by your account. They were created when Windows was installing. By the System account.

Because of this, when UAC is on, if you try to edit a file in C:/Windows You will get a prompt saying you need higher privileges to do this edit.

Of course you can force the change to happen if really needed.

UAC on means that if a virus runs it's attack and tries to change a file in C:/Program Files (x86), you will get a popup.

A virus attack is usually stealthy. For example, you run a program, and behind the scenes, a second subprogram is started that tries to sneakily change OS or virusscanner files.

Without UAC, you would get no warning at all.

But with UAC on,when you start program 'Aa.exe' and in the background subroutine 'Bb.exe' starts and tries to change OS files you get a message:

And if program Bb.exe is unexpected, or unknown to you, you can stop it, look it up online, and stay safe.

The reason for the warning is, program Bb.exe is running with your user credentials. And you are not the owner of the file that it wants to change.

However, that also means that there are a few extra steps to editing files in C:/Program Files. Uac after all prevent your acount from editing files in there.

Some people in this thread, either do not know this about UAC, or don't care.

Their UAC is off, so they have no trouble editing files in C:/Program Files/FSX

However, their system is completely open to attacks, and their Antivirus Program is probably not working properly any more.

For that reason, keep UAC on. And install FSX in C:/FSX or in D:/FSX

Why? this way:

UAC protects your operating system

UAC protects your C:/Program Files folder

And FSX is installed in it's own folder. That own folder will not be covered by UAC. So you can edit FSX files as much as you like.

Oh, last thing, you can install FSX-Steam edition where you want. Not only in the default location.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]