FSX and STEAM Head ache

watchur6

I made the mistake of downloading FSX Steam without deleting regular FSX. Now I have a mess on my hands with liveries disappearing, planes don't appear, etc. What is the safest way to delete both FSX and Steam and start clean?

Hang on, don't uninstall anything yet!

To be able to advise it's best if we know the whole install-and -uninstall-steps that you did so far.

Did you:

install fsx box

install fsx steam (without removing box first)

Or did you:

Install Box

(try to) Uninstall box (but not succeded completely perhaps)

Install Steam

?

(or something different even?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSX had been installed(Box) several years ago. I just bought Steam and downloaded not knowing it was really a cloud program. Have been using it for six and had figured out the duplicate folder structure so was able to add freeware and scenery to it. Then ran into the vanishing liveries several days ago.. Any help is greatly appreciated. You can contact me direct on skype or email at tkennedy63 at msn .com

So fsx-box was first removed?

Properly?

then steam installed?

Are they both installed at the moment? (Hint: Check in "Add/Remove Programs" if they are.)

Please explain what you did clearly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Who said you can't have both installed? You can't run both at the same time of course but the two of them can coexist on the same system/drive.

Cheers,

Having both installed is fine as long as the boxed edition was installed first.

No, FSX was never removed. I have been running it for years (Box). I then installed Steam with FSX still on the machine. Now I want uninstall BOTH and start over with just FSX Box.Both are still installed but FSX will not run but Steam will. When I look at the folders it appears as if FSX and steam are all intertwined

When I look at the folders it appears as if FSX and steam are all intertwined

Well, Steam installs it's FSX, which is normally designated FSX:SE, a ways down inside it's folder structure. Thus: D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX . The default install path is C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX .

FSX Box's default install location is C:\Program Files(X86)\Microsoft Games\FSX.

Both versions can be installed wherever you desire, however. As my version shows. In fact, with the advent of Win10, whatever you may think of it, installing any version of FSX in C:\Program Files(X86) is a really bad idea, and will lead to major headaches later. Up to you, though.

The ancillary files the sims use wind up in very similar locations, as well.

I only have Win7, so I can't speak to any other version's file locations, but Steam will differentiate the installation of the various files for the sim somehow. Like if the FSX.CFG file is here: C:\Users\StuckInARut\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX for FSX Box edition, then the Steam version will be thus: C:\Users\StuckInARut\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX:SE .

Does that help clear things up at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

OK guys, I seem to be getting a lot of help but none of it really solves the problem. here is the sequence of events as they occurred in order.

1. Installed FSX long time ago and used it with a VA for years. Installed much free scenery and freeware planes. Active VATSIM flyer.

2. Read about Steam and decided to try it so downloaded it. LEFT FSX INSTALLED WHERE IT WAS.. Saw that FSX would not run with both versions loaded so went pure Steam. Ran fine. Then DL'd a few freeware planes from my VA and thats when things went wacky. The planes installed all right in Steam but had no liveries (some of them).

3. Got some advice about checking the aircraft cfg file and insure the texture folders had the same name as the cfg.

4. Started looking at all the texture files and cfg files and screwed something up as now most of my DL free ware planes lost their liveries. Tried all sorts of things but could not recover the liveries. But, SOME of the planes did not lose their livery. All planes came from the fleet at Pacific Airlines VA.

5. Frustration set in so I want to uninstall both FSX and Steam and start over but am not sure how to do it. Should I just go to control panel and delete them? If so, any particular sequence? I'm grounded until I can uninstall and just re-install FSX NOT Steam.

The liveries disappearing sounds like they should be installed in the DLC folder instead. If so, installing them there will make them show up in fsx steam.

(simply Uninstalling fsx box will not make them show.)

see these threads about the dlc folder:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?303853-Repaints-don-t-show-up-for-default-aircrafts&p=2007723#post2007723

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?299693-FSX-SE-Stock-DC-3-is-loading-gauges-deleted-from-panel-cfg

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?299617-Repaint-in-FSX-Steam-Edition&p=1982809#post1982809

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived