Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FSX:SE scenery installation ?

1. Default

dear Phantom Tweak : first of all thank you so much that in this huge fsim society there are people
    so kind enough to look at an issue which dates back 5 years or more.

My lovely wife is keeps looking at me with big questionmarks in her eyes ,'what on earth is he (me) doing and panicing all day behind the screen?' And I say it's 'nothing' but body-language makes no
    mistakes.

My first thought was also not to install Steam in ProgramFiles X86 , so I put it on C:\Steam.
    But is there a possibility or maybe a need !! to install the FSX-SE somewhere else than
    C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX My software and Windows knowledge is about 4 on 10 scale.

I have in my explorer ; 'show all hidden / system files' as yes.
    Right now I've just made a backup of my registry file and I am about to begin a registry cleanup with CCTools. I would be so gratefull if you would be willing to stay a bit in contact with me (through this site
    of another medium (P.M. or) So someone said to me if you want addons to steam programs then you
    have to place these files in the same folder as where the program is installed; so here
    C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX So I have put the installer : UTX-Usa-23.exe in the Common Folder and also in the full : C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX folder. I don't understand that
    the installer has no problem in finding the path because every time(about 4 times) I have to point that during the installation process I point to : C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. It's only after the initial installation after you click 'finish' and the UTerr. manager has to start then the error message comes
    with cannot find the scenery.cfg in 'that other' folder. I will start registry clean now and try a new installation and with respect let you know or post here what is happening. Thanks so much for you advice kind regards Peter
    Last edited by piet06273; 04-08-2020 at 03:11 PM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    NO!
    No, no, no!

Do NOT install Steam there. ESPECIALLY in Win10. NO, do NOT do that.

Are your folder settings set to show Hidden Files and Folders? I wager that's where the trouble finding the .cfg files lies. I have a Dr.'s appointment at the moment, so I have to go, but I will give a better answer when I can. In the mean time, check your folder settings. Also, are you logged in the computer as Admin? Win10 is real touchy about that. Make sure you have full Admin priveliges in all folders. Make sure you run the installer as Admin, too. Very important.

I gotta go, my lovely wife is waving her cast iron frying pan at me. If you need more detailed help, let me know, and I'll get right back to it tomorrow.
    Pat☺

Oh.no... I let CCleaner clean up the registry (it only came with left overs from the many (un)installments I've done the past 3 days, maybe the many left overs is a good sign) but my browser history was also gone.
    I can imagine that a lot of users of UTX FSX-SE must have seen this attachment before in their SIM-life, and they probably have left this issue far behind them I envie them, Hope to come their soon........ but for now I'll put it aside ,
    Maybe in my sleep it this folder and registry maze will make a bit more sense and I get a bright idea.
    well stay well (that is the most important now) kind regards Peter

the actual text of the error message (no doubt familiar to so many)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    error message :

The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be
    located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at:
    www.simforums.com/forum

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UTX_USA_Installerror_s.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	217668
    Last edited by piet06273; 04-08-2020 at 04:10 PM.

3. Default

Hello Pat, In the old days we had all these beautiful boxed add-ons , I remember Wilco's airport2000 volume 1, 2 and 3 and Real Airports, they gave you some 5/6 airplanes , some 5/6 airports , adventures all in a box with a written manual. They were for FS98, FS2000 and FS2002.
    In the Netherlands they costed around 30 eur. My PC's would struggle to display the improvements,
    but to me they were sort of the beginning of our add-on world.
    I have this issue of not being able to add UTX USA and UTX Eur to FSX SE.
    I just managed to install my boxed Just Flight FSceneX into my FSX SE. I ran the installer, It offered
    C:/Program files86/.../.../.../.. to install to but I was able to browse to C:/Steam/Steamapps/
    Common/FSX and it installed just fine. Could that be an indication that my PC's registry is less
    mixed up as I first thought? So my UTX won't install in FSX SE, at least the installation runs fine, I can browse to my C:/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FSX In the actual final installscreen it only shows one option which is FSX-STEAM . It installs and says Installation completed but after that the message comes,:' The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be
    located at the expected location below: C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG Now I only have FSX_SE in that folder and not FSX without -SE.
    So I changed that name in the folder to 'FSX'only without 'SE' and started again, the error remained.
    I just wonder what would happen if I manually add the required entries in the scenery.cfg file
    and save it there, that would be not to difficult. (after making a backup first)
    If only someone could mail me the exact text of these entries something like : this is from FS9
    [Area.053]
    Title=Ultimate Terrain - USA
    Local=SCENERY\UTUSA <<<< this is essential what comes after Local=
    Layer=53
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE
    Remote=

The UTX setup tool will not start. However I checked my C:/...FSX-SE/Scenery folder and there are about 10 UTX folders added there. So then I started FSX SE and added the areas through the settings/scenery add area process, which went fine. But when I started FSX SE afterwards almost all of USA was covered with trees and trees only. How on earth am I going to solve this , I dare not think about complex changes in the registry or reinstalling my WIN10. And going to ORBX is a 'nogo' pricewise for me, and I would problably have the same problem there to.
    Flight1 forums is really huge. And often I simply don't understand their solutions, though there are many many posts there on this same issue.
    thanks to you and anybody else or some other 'wizzkids' who can give me a suggestion
    regards Peter I can add better pics if needed

Name:	UTX_FSXUTX_USA_Installerror_install_succesfl_13.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	217689

Name:	UTX_FSXUTX_USA_Installerror_install_error_Browse_16.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	217690

Name:	UTX_FSXUTX_USA_error_forest.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	217691
    Last edited by piet06273; 04-09-2020 at 04:16 AM.

Hi Peter,

A number of options to try....

Option 1 - with regards to the scenery.cfg entry you highlighted in post #13. I am assuming that you have installed the UT stuff into the default FSX Addon Scenery folder. Try ONE of the following as appropriate to where you have stored the scenery:

If installed at Addon Scenery\UTUSA:

[Area.053]
    Local=Addon Scenery\UTUSA
    Layer=53
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE

OR If installed at Addon Scenery\Scenery\UTUSA:

[Area.053]
    Local=ADDON SCENERY\Scenery\UTUSA
    Layer=53
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE

NOTE: that in both cases the Remote= entry has been delete - there should only be either a Local OR Remote entry. Also note that you will need to change the [Area.XX] AND Layer= entries to the next in number in sequence.

Option 2 - Do a 'soft' reboot of the scenery and scenery.cfg file. This will take you back to only FSX default scenery without uninstalling the addon stuff:

A. Rename the scenery.cfg file to scenery.cfg.bak.

B. Start FSX - this will force FSX to create a new scenery.cfg file that only contains entries for the default scenery.

C. Fly a quick flight (2 mins or so) - I suggest somewhere in the States so you can see if the tree problem has been resolved.

D. Exit FSX. Make a copy of the new scenery.cfg for use as a backup file and possible use later.

E. As the JF FSceneX appears to have installed correctly open both the scenery.cfg and scenery.cfg.bak files for editing. In the .cfg.bak file locate the FSceneX entry. Copy the entry and paste it into the ,cfg fiile. Change the [Area.XX] AND the Layer= entries to the next in sequence and then Save and Close the .cfg file.

F. Restart FSX and test. Again I suggest an area in the USA (bear in mind that FSceneX covers the whole world) first to check to see if the tree problem exist and then try another area to check if everything is OK.

G. Exit the flight but leave FSX running. Go to the Scenery settings page and add the UTUSA scenery as normal. Start another flight and test as in F. above.

If all good you can then add the other UT stuff.

If problems exist you may need to do a 'hard' reboot of the scenery by uninstalling the addons and then reinstalling them.

A (few) final general thoughts about adding scenery in general -

Regarding the tree issue. Both the FSceneX and UT products are Terrain replacement scenery and, therefore, consideration must be made as to where they appear in the FSX scenery priority list. As FSceneX covers the WHOLE world (i.e. including the USA) it must be placed lower than the UT product so that the UT scenery can properly 'override' the FSceneX scenery. BOTH must be listed above the default FSX scenery. E.G like this

001 - UTUSA
    002 - FSceneX
    003 - FSX default Area xxx
    004 - FSX default Area xxx

A tool you might find useful is the Scenery Confg Tool -See HERE for info on it and HERE to download it. It allows you to add new scenery without running FSX but for this particular issue that you have, it can identify problem entries in the scenery.cfg file and has a built-in text editor that opens on the select entry.
    Regards

Brian

So I changed that name in the folder to 'FSX'only without 'SE' and started again, the error remained.
    First off, put that back to the original entry. FSX_SE, FSX-SE, whatever it was. If you don't, it will confuse FSX:SE no end.
    The Scenery.CFG file in there is a record of what you've added to the Scenery Library, with the ADD Entry feature. It's what the sim reads to see what addons you've added to it's basic scenery. NOT what's in the ...FSX\Scenery folder, what's in the ...FSX\Addon Scenery folder. The entries that come pre-installed, so to speak, are the default scenery's. Anything that goes into the ...FSX\Scenery folder is auto-added, so to speak, into the sim, with no actions required by the user.

The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be
    located at the expected location below: C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG
    Apparently, UTX thinks, for whatever reason, you have the box version of FSX installed. That's why it's looking for ...FSX\Scenery.cfg. IF you once had the box version installed, and then installed FSX-SE, you will get two folders in C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft . FSX and FSX-SE. If all you have is C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, either you only have ever had FSX-SE installed, or it still thinks you have the box version of FSX installed.
    Either way, with only one FSX installation, the path should be C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.

I let CCleaner clean up the registry (it only came with left overs from the many (un)installments I've done the past 3 days, maybe the many left overs is a good sign) but my browser history was also gone.
    Did you reboot the computer after you ran CCleaner, or did you just start installing UTX? You should have rebooted the first thing after CCleaner got done.

Have you tried taking the untouched Scenery.CFG file from out C:/Steam/Steamapps/
    Common/FSX, and placing it into C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX ? That Scenery.cfg is a "clean slate", as if the the FSX program had just installed. It won't have any extraneous entries in it.
    Of course, make a backup of what's there already FIRST, then copy the one from inside the root FSX folder over, ensuring you overwrite whatever's in there already. Do NOT, ever ever, make any changes of any kind to the copy in the FSX root folder. Only ever make any changes to the one in C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX .
    Ensure the folder permissions Win10 has for any FSX folder are ones you can access as the Admin. Go into the folder in question, if you are al all unsure, and try creating an empty text file. If you can, then go in and try to delete it. If you can do both, you should be in good shape. I don't have Win10, so I can't give details on "How-To" for folder permissions. I do know it can be touchy about them.

If you HAD FSX boxed edition installed, but uninstalled it and installed FSX:SE, you will need to run the FSX Registry Tool. It can be found HERE
    Even if you've never had FSX box installed, you might want to try giving that a shot. It seems to me UTX is getting confused about what you have, and where it is. The Registry Repair Tool might solve that problem. I would go through, and UNinstall every UTX thing you can find first. Use the MS Uninstall system in the computer's Control Panel, Programs and Features selection. Do that FIRST, then go through the computer, once it's totally done, and see if there any files or folders left. If there are, delete every one.

Finally, always run the UTX Installer as Admin. Rclick on it, and select Run As Administrator from the drop-down menu.

Ok, my brain hurts now. Let me know how you get on, K?
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

6. Default

Mr Pat I.ve decided to give it a bit rest I found a quote on steam that it would not matter what is the
    name of the folder as long as the right files are in it...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/31416...1294065310472/
    I'm guessing, you've probably discovered the Scenery.cfg file that's also found within your Steam installation folders for FSX. It's a 'fraud' that seems to be designed to confuse us all! lol But seems to be completely irrelevent to the Steam install of FSX. Instead the game still uses the same default folder location of the active 'scenery.cfg' as it would do with a non Steam install of FSX. Hope that helps. All the best.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll read your mail very carefully and have done sofar more or less as you described, now in the process of cleaning everything up first and then take a next step. I am more confident now and try to be more
    thoughtfull instead of impulsive. I have come to enjoy this learning process. Thanks again for yr help
    we are in lockdown here , so I have time to spare....... I'll keep you posted Please stay well
    regards Peter

Hi Peter,

First, my apologies but I missed some important info out in my original post regarding the location of the scenery.cfg file that you need to amend if you choose to follow my instructions. I meant to include the correct path for it - it should be at, depending on the circumstances under which you installed SE, either C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

If you installed the boxed version first and then installed SE along side it, it will be at C:….\FSX-SE

If you installed the boxed version and then fully uninstalled before installing SE it will be at C:\.....\FSX

If you installed the boxed version and but did notfully OR incorrectly uninstall it before installing SE it will be at C:\.....\FSX-SE

If you have never installed the box version it will be at C:\.....\FSX

Having further thought about the UT problem and its inability to find the scenery.cfg file at a specific location - namely C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

Its been a long time since I have had FS2004 installed but IIRC the scenery.cfg for it was stored in C:\Users\<AcctName>\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS2004\ or C:\.....\FS9\

I don't use UT so can't be sure but it could simply be that the installer is 'hard programmed' (i.e. coded) to install into a set default location and all you need to do is point the installer to the correct FSX location.
    Regards

Brian

8. Default

Hi Mr. Brian , thanks again and again for yr help and efforts.
    I am in a position I do not want to be in... I'm with my family in lockdown. It's not nice but with kindness
    and understanding for each other we are all doing as best as we can. Before going into this situation I thought : Well at least I have my FS9 and FSX to finally being able to make those long Intercontinental flights I allways wanted to but never had the time. Then the FSE UTX issue came. With great help from yourself and other members I have several options now to resolve this. I will do that.
    But then 2 day ago during a flight my FS9 suddenly dropped from 40fps to 5fps.
    With respect If you are interested please see the details;
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...40fps_FS9-5fps
    So now I have FSX SE with a small issue and I have FS9 which will hardly start at all.
    Which leaves me with my FS2002 that is still flying as good as ever .............. ?
    Once again I'm impressed with the help and efforts I get from fellow simmers here and I hope that
    someday I can offer some assistance to another member too.
    Regarding the UTX: I will now make a schedule of all the options and information that have been presented to me and plan for coordinated and step by step actions to fly over a superbly detailled
    FSX UTX USA. regards , will post my results here , Peter
    Last edited by piet06273; 04-10-2020 at 11:59 AM.

9. Default

Hi mr Pat, mr Piet here,
    Still with the family in 'Lock-down' here but as long as we are kind to and understand each other
    we have the strengh to make the trip.
    I remember that before the lockdown became effective I thought by myself: 'at least I will have the time now to make those long intercontinental flights I allways wanted to make but never had the time for...' Have not been able yet to do that since my long lasting FS9 is also running out on me.
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...40fps_FS9-5fps

this is the first on my actions list:
    - Look for any residues (tick: show all hidden files boxes)of any former UTX installation anywhere in my
    system
    - then :the path should be C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.
    - then: - Have you tried taking the untouched Scenery.CFG file from out C:/Steam/Steamapps/
    Common/FSX, and placing it into C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

After the first Installation I got from Steam : the following path was created:
    C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE
    This was side by side with my Boxed version:
    C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    I have to admit here that before installing my Steam-FSX I have been so stupid not to have uninstalled and cleaned my Boxed version first. I'm learning from the resulting effects for that now,
    I have to read so carefully now, word for word of
    what is being said on that issue.

I changed this manually one time to :C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    this did not help ; so I changed it manually back FSX-SE.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/31416...1294065310472/
    I read on steam that the actual name of the folder would be of less importance as long as the correct
    files are there, don't know the value of that remark....

So as I see it now :the actual question seems to be: Is this problem caused by the fact:
    - that the exact full name and path of the folder is not correct
    - that the correct file is not available in the folder that is there.

I will restart FSX now, close it and copy the then created root FSX/scenery.cfg to the
    C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE folder as it is named in my set-up
    I just thought I also have the option of reinstalling from Steam itself after proper deinstall and full
    CC-clean-up. I'll keep you posted. stay well and regards Peter
    Last edited by piet06273; 04-10-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Ummmmm...
    Were you aware that you can have Steam verify that all the files for FSX are the correct files, in the correct places? And that if there is a trouble with the files, or their locations, that Steam will automatically repair the situation?

It's fairly easy. I can tell you how, or you can find a "How-To" for the whole File verification system on this site, or Steam. Google is your friend.

Bear in mind, though, that if you run the file verification, it MAY delete, or alter, any add-ons you may have installed. Scenery, planes, effects, whatever, so make back-ups of any add-ons you have installed. Especially planes and scenery, because they both add alot of files in other places than just the ones you might think. Like planes put gauges into the ...FSX\Gauges folder. Really, especially with payware, but with freeware too, the installers are normally downloaded as zip files. So as long as you still have the zip files, and any passwords you might need for the installation, like payware require, saved off, you're in good shape.
    After the file verification system gets done, you can just re-install the add-ons you want. Remember to test each add-on after installation.
    Takes a little time, but less than messing around, trying to do the verification yourself!

Let me know if you need help with this.
    Pat☺
    Last edited by PhantomTweak; 04-10-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast