Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FSX:SE scenery installation ?

Default FSX:SE scenery installation ?

Well, I saw that Steam was having a June sale on SE for $7.49, and so; I took the plunge. It without a doubt outperforms my old boxed edition. However, I miss some of my old scenery add-ons. What is the C drive installation path that I must follow to install scenery ? I assume that I am looking for new and different files ? ? ?

Thank you.

Jim

Tell me you didn't install it to C:\Program Files or to C:\Program Files(X86), did you?
    If you did, I very strongly recommend un-installing it, and re-installing it anywhere but those two folders. When it installs, you can choose where you want it placed.
    If you leave it in one of those two folders, especially in Windows 10, you WILL have tons of problems later on.

Anywho, wherever you installed it, you can add your scenery's to it easily and simply. Since they're already in your other version of the sim, wherever it might be, just open it up, go to the Scenery Library, just like you did to add the scenery's into your first version of FSX. Select Add Area, just like for the old one. Now, simply point the sim to where you have you scenery's installed, wherever that is.
    It's exactly like the old one that way. You don't NEED to move your scenery files anywhere.

Sadly, if you just let it install to the default location, it will be in C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX. Below that, the directory structure is identical to the old version. If you insist on moving your scenery into it, there you go. That's where it should be.

Have fun!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

I am striking out at installing my old scenery add-on's, in my newly installed FSX:SE. I'm getting "scenery path error's". Is this the correct path for me to use for installing my old scenery folders ? C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\scenery\new scenery folder here ?

And for installing new plane add-on's > C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\sim objects\airplanes ?

Jim

Weeeelll...
    Presuming that the scenery you're adding is is a normal, average, everyday, add-on scenery, like, for example a folder named NewScenery, and under that are NewScenery\scenery and NewScenery\texture then no, that's not correct.

If they're already unzipped and installed in your other FSX install, where did you place them? Most people place things like that in the ...\FSX\Addon Scenery folder, right? No reason not to do that same exact thing with the Steam installation. Thus: D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery.
    In your case, obviously, you'd have C:\Program Files(X86)\ instead of my D:\. I'm just lazy, and use copy-n-paste a lot
    Having said that, IF you already have the scenery installed in your other FSX installation, why clog up your hard drive with duplicate files? Leave the scenery you already have installed in the box version of FSX's location, and just point FSX:SE's Scenery Library at the path it's in. Just like when you installed it in your box version of FSX, you opened the Settings>Scenery Library>Add Area, right? Then you pointed it wherever you installed it, probably C:\Program Files(X86)\Microsoft Games\FSX\Addon Scenery, right?
    Well, just do the same thing with FSX:SE. Go to Settings>Scenery Library>Add Area again, but instead of C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery, just point it at C:\Program Files(X86)\Microsoft Games\FSX\Addon Scenery.

Now, if you've totally and completely uninstalled you box FSX, including deleting any and all scenery you installed in it's addon Scenery folder, then ok, install it to C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery.
    But heck, if it's already installed, like I said, why duplicate the files and effort? Use what you already have.
    Or, if you want to save a lot of room on your OS's drive, place someplace like D:\My Addon scenery, or wherever you like. That's a nice thing about FSX of whatever sort, the scenery you add to it can be about anyplace you like, as long as the sim can "see" it. IE: as long as it's a valid path on the same PC as FSX.
    Does that make sense?

By the Bye, make certain you delete any and all files you may have added to your C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\scenery\new sceneryfolder before you do anything. AND, if you tried adding it to the Scenery Library, make sure you go through the Delete Area menu choice first if the scenery exists in the Scenery Library, THEN delete it from the folder.

For the airplanes, yes, that is the correct location, with one caveat: If it's a payware plane from the Steam store, then no, that's NOT where it goes. You will find a folder titled FLC, I believe, and it installs to that. There are normally instructions in the download file's Readme file. Most come with auto-installers that will place them correctly for you, in any event.
    For Freeware planes you install yourself, like a plane you've downloaded from the Library here on Flightsim, or wherever, yes, that is the correct folder, just exactly like the box FSX version.

Does all that rambling answer your questions?
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Pat, I finally muddled thru it here. Got it done ! Exactly like you said. Add-on planes are also going in like crazy. FSX:SE running beautifully here in Windows 7. I have been extremely impressed with it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jim

Glad I could be of help, Jim!

Now, you MUST do one final thing with the sim:
    GO HAVE FUN !!

Pat☺

Thanks again Pat, I couldn't have done it without you. I am really impressed with how much nicer Steam is running over my old Standard boxed edition. Here is a Pic of the problem scenery/field that I was having trouble installing. All is good now.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	203677  

Looks great! Glad I could help you have a good experience with it
    Pat☺

9. Default

Dear Phantom Tweak for the last week I have been trying to Install UTX USA and UTX EUR in my STEAM: C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. I'm not the youngest but I have long FSIM history from FS5 to FSX
    I allways have installed my Windows versions my self on my pc's. In the end I allways came where I wanted to be. My resources were limited so I allways had to wait many years before I could by a pc with
    sufficient specs to run the sim. Only january this year I was finally able to get a pc with enough power to run FSX. I first installed FSX boxed , was happy with the performance. Then I read that FSX SE would give even butter performance. I uninstalled (Control/panel) all my FSX add-ons, restart and uninstall FSX Boxed. Restarted and downloaded from Steam my copy of FSX SE and installed in C: which is my SSD , Steam/Steamapps/common/FSX. I had following add-ons in FSX Boxed: FSGlobalX ,ULT Terr EUR and USA , FSceneX. I Also downloaded FlyAwayScenery Global Mesh X and was able to copy that to the FSX Addons folder and I could add the areas in the Setting/scenery/Library. Sofar this is the only installation in FSX SE that was succesfull. Before I uninstalled FSX Boxed I checked the specs of my other addons and they all claim that they are compatible with FSX Staem. I'm going nuts and begin to regret switching to FSX SE.
    what I do:
    I put the installer in : C:/Steam/Steamapps/common
    I run the installer
    I select as installation path: C:\Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX
    The installation proceeds and seems to end succenfull.
    But then when the UTX USA screen has to be opened the message coms:
    The scenery CFG or other Simulator file could not be located.
    C:\Users\Peter\App data\roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG and indeed the file is missing there.
    I copied it from my FSX Steam location but still the same issue.
    I know there have allready hundreds of posts in all forums about this problem. I see posts of editing
    the windows registry , I dare not do that , even not after making a registry backup.
    Could you please give your opinion on the next question: If I uninstall my Steam from C:\Steam and reinstall in in C:\program files X86 is there any chance that that would be of any help here.?
    I can imagine that many simmers have had more or less the same issues and have worked it out also.
    I am out of options sofar and would like so very much to add the UTX to my FSX Steam
    Thanks for any reply Peter Bootes

If I uninstall my Steam from C:\Steam and reinstall in in C:\program files X86 is there any chance that that would be of any help here.?
    NO!
    No, no, no!

Do NOT install Steam there. ESPECIALLY in Win10. NO, do NOT do that.

Are your folder settings set to show Hidden Files and Folders? I wager that's where the trouble finding the .cfg files lies. I have a Dr.'s appointment at the moment, so I have to go, but I will give a better answer when I can. In the mean time, check your folder settings. Also, are you logged in the computer as Admin? Win10 is real touchy about that. Make sure you have full Admin priveliges in all folders. Make sure you run the installer as Admin, too. Very important.

I gotta go, my lovely wife is waving her cast iron frying pan at me. If you need more detailed help, let me know, and I'll get right back to it tomorrow.
    Pat☺

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast