FSX:SE scenery installation ?

GBJim

Well, I saw that Steam was having a June sale on SE for $7.49, and so; I took the plunge. It without a doubt outperforms my old boxed edition. However, I miss some of my old scenery add-ons. What is the C drive installation path that I must follow to install scenery ? I assume that I am looking for new and different files ? ? ?

Thank you.

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Tell me you didn't install it to C:\Program Files or to C:\Program Files(X86), did you?

If you did, I very strongly recommend un-installing it, and re-installing it anywhere but those two folders. When it installs, you can choose where you want it placed.

If you leave it in one of those two folders, especially in Windows 10, you WILL have tons of problems later on.

Anywho, wherever you installed it, you can add your scenery's to it easily and simply. Since they're already in your other version of the sim, wherever it might be, just open it up, go to the Scenery Library, just like you did to add the scenery's into your first version of FSX. Select Add Area, just like for the old one. Now, simply point the sim to where you have you scenery's installed, wherever that is.

It's exactly like the old one that way. You don't NEED to move your scenery files anywhere.

Sadly, if you just let it install to the default location, it will be in C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX. Below that, the directory structure is identical to the old version. If you insist on moving your scenery into it, there you go. That's where it should be.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I am striking out at installing my old scenery add-on's, in my newly installed FSX:SE. I'm getting "scenery path error's". Is this the correct path for me to use for installing my old scenery folders ? C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\scenery\new scenery folder here ?

And for installing new plane add-on's > C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\sim objects\airplanes ?

Jim

Weeeelll...

Presuming that the scenery you're adding is is a normal, average, everyday, add-on scenery, like, for example a folder named NewScenery, and under that are NewScenery\scenery and NewScenery\texture then no, that's not correct.

If they're already unzipped and installed in your other FSX install, where did you place them? Most people place things like that in the ...\FSX\Addon Scenery folder, right? No reason not to do that same exact thing with the Steam installation. Thus: D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery.

In your case, obviously, you'd have C:\Program Files(X86)\ instead of my D:\. I'm just lazy, and use copy-n-paste a lot :D

Having said that, IF you already have the scenery installed in your other FSX installation, why clog up your hard drive with duplicate files? Leave the scenery you already have installed in the box version of FSX's location, and just point FSX:SE's Scenery Library at the path it's in. Just like when you installed it in your box version of FSX, you opened the Settings>Scenery Library>Add Area, right? Then you pointed it wherever you installed it, probably C:\Program Files(X86)\Microsoft Games\FSX\Addon Scenery, right?

Well, just do the same thing with FSX:SE. Go to Settings>Scenery Library>Add Area again, but instead of C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery, just point it at C:\Program Files(X86)\Microsoft Games\FSX\Addon Scenery.

Now, if you've totally and completely uninstalled you box FSX, including deleting any and all scenery you installed in it's addon Scenery folder, then ok, install it to C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery.

But heck, if it's already installed, like I said, why duplicate the files and effort? Use what you already have.

Or, if you want to save a lot of room on your OS's drive, place someplace like D:\My Addon scenery, or wherever you like. That's a nice thing about FSX of whatever sort, the scenery you add to it can be about anyplace you like, as long as the sim can "see" it. IE: as long as it's a valid path on the same PC as FSX.

Does that make sense?

By the Bye, make certain you delete any and all files you may have added to your C:\Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX\scenery\new sceneryfolder before you do anything. AND, if you tried adding it to the Scenery Library, make sure you go through the Delete Area menu choice first if the scenery exists in the Scenery Library, THEN delete it from the folder.

For the airplanes, yes, that is the correct location, with one caveat: If it's a payware plane from the Steam store, then no, that's NOT where it goes. You will find a folder titled FLC, I believe, and it installs to that. There are normally instructions in the download file's Readme file. Most come with auto-installers that will place them correctly for you, in any event.

For Freeware planes you install yourself, like a plane you've downloaded from the Library here on Flightsim, or wherever, yes, that is the correct folder, just exactly like the box FSX version.

Does all that rambling answer your questions?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Pat, I finally muddled thru it here. Got it done ! Exactly like you said. Add-on planes are also going in like crazy. FSX:SE running beautifully here in Windows 7. I have been extremely impressed with it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jim

Glad I could be of help, Jim! :D

Now, you MUST do one final thing with the sim:

GO HAVE FUN !!

:cool: :D :pilot:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks again Pat, I couldn't have done it without you. I am really impressed with how much nicer Steam is running over my old Standard boxed edition. Here is a Pic of the problem scenery/field that I was having trouble installing. All is good now.

Jim

v1.jpg

Looks great! Glad I could help you have a good experience with it :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Dear Phantom Tweak for the last week I have been trying to Install UTX USA and UTX EUR in my STEAM: C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. I'm not the youngest but I have long FSIM history from FS5 to FSX

I allways have installed my Windows versions my self on my pc's. In the end I allways came where I wanted to be. My resources were limited so I allways had to wait many years before I could by a pc with

sufficient specs to run the sim. Only january this year I was finally able to get a pc with enough power to run FSX. I first installed FSX boxed , was happy with the performance. Then I read that FSX SE would give even butter performance. I uninstalled (Control/panel) all my FSX add-ons, restart and uninstall FSX Boxed. Restarted and downloaded from Steam my copy of FSX SE and installed in C: which is my SSD , Steam/Steamapps/common/FSX. I had following add-ons in FSX Boxed: FSGlobalX ,ULT Terr EUR and USA , FSceneX. I Also downloaded FlyAwayScenery Global Mesh X and was able to copy that to the FSX Addons folder and I could add the areas in the Setting/scenery/Library. Sofar this is the only installation in FSX SE that was succesfull. Before I uninstalled FSX Boxed I checked the specs of my other addons and they all claim that they are compatible with FSX Staem. I'm going nuts and begin to regret switching to FSX SE.

what I do:

I put the installer in : C:/Steam/Steamapps/common

I run the installer

I select as installation path: C:\Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX

The installation proceeds and seems to end succenfull.

But then when the UTX USA screen has to be opened the message coms:

The scenery CFG or other Simulator file could not be located.

C:\Users\Peter\App data\roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG and indeed the file is missing there.

I copied it from my FSX Steam location but still the same issue.

I know there have allready hundreds of posts in all forums about this problem. I see posts of editing

the windows registry , I dare not do that , even not after making a registry backup.

Could you please give your opinion on the next question: If I uninstall my Steam from C:\Steam and reinstall in in C:\program files X86 is there any chance that that would be of any help here.?

I can imagine that many simmers have had more or less the same issues and have worked it out also.

I am out of options sofar and would like so very much to add the UTX to my FSX Steam

Thanks for any reply Peter Bootes

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

If I uninstall my Steam from C:\Steam and reinstall in in C:\program files X86 is there any chance that that would be of any help here.?

NO!

No, no, no!

Do NOT install Steam there. ESPECIALLY in Win10. NO, do NOT do that.

Are your folder settings set to show Hidden Files and Folders? I wager that's where the trouble finding the .cfg files lies. I have a Dr.'s appointment at the moment, so I have to go, but I will give a better answer when I can. In the mean time, check your folder settings. Also, are you logged in the computer as Admin? Win10 is real touchy about that. Make sure you have full Admin priveliges in all folders. Make sure you run the installer as Admin, too. Very important.

I gotta go, my lovely wife is waving her cast iron frying pan at me. If you need more detailed help, let me know, and I'll get right back to it tomorrow.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dear Phantom Tweak : first of all thank you so much that in this huge fsim society there are people

so kind enough to look at an issue which dates back 5 years or more.

My lovely wife is keeps looking at me with big questionmarks in her eyes ,'what on earth is he (me) doing and panicing all day behind the screen?' And I say it's 'nothing' but body-language makes no

mistakes.

My first thought was also not to install Steam in ProgramFiles X86 , so I put it on C:\Steam.

But is there a possibility or maybe a need !! to install the FSX-SE somewhere else than

C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX My software and Windows knowledge is about 4 on 10 scale.

I have in my explorer ; 'show all hidden / system files' as yes.

Right now I've just made a backup of my registry file and I am about to begin a registry cleanup with CCTools. I would be so gratefull if you would be willing to stay a bit in contact with me (through this site

of another medium (P.M. or) So someone said to me if you want addons to steam programs then you

have to place these files in the same folder as where the program is installed; so here

C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX So I have put the installer : UTX-Usa-23.exe in the Common Folder and also in the full : C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX folder. I don't understand that

the installer has no problem in finding the path because every time(about 4 times) I have to point that during the installation process I point to : C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX. It's only after the initial installation after you click 'finish' and the UTerr. manager has to start then the error message comes

with cannot find the scenery.cfg in 'that other' folder. I will start registry clean now and try a new installation and with respect let you know or post here what is happening. Thanks so much for you advice kind regards Peter

Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

NO!

No, no, no!

Do NOT install Steam there. ESPECIALLY in Win10. NO, do NOT do that.

Are your folder settings set to show Hidden Files and Folders? I wager that's where the trouble finding the .cfg files lies. I have a Dr.'s appointment at the moment, so I have to go, but I will give a better answer when I can. In the mean time, check your folder settings. Also, are you logged in the computer as Admin? Win10 is real touchy about that. Make sure you have full Admin priveliges in all folders. Make sure you run the installer as Admin, too. Very important.

I gotta go, my lovely wife is waving her cast iron frying pan at me. If you need more detailed help, let me know, and I'll get right back to it tomorrow.

Pat☺

Oh.no... I let CCleaner clean up the registry (it only came with left overs from the many (un)installments I've done the past 3 days, maybe the many left overs is a good sign) but my browser history was also gone.

I can imagine that a lot of users of UTX FSX-SE must have seen this attachment before in their SIM-life, and they probably have left this issue far behind them I envie them, Hope to come their soon........ but for now I'll put it aside ,

Maybe in my sleep it this folder and registry maze will make a bit more sense and I get a bright idea.

well stay well (that is the most important now) kind regards Peter

the actual text of the error message (no doubt familiar to so many)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

error message :

The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be

located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at:

http://www.simforums.com/forum

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UTX_USA_Installerror_s.JPG

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hello Pat, In the old days we had all these beautiful boxed add-ons , I remember Wilco's airport2000 volume 1, 2 and 3 and Real Airports, they gave you some 5/6 airplanes , some 5/6 airports , adventures all in a box with a written manual. They were for FS98, FS2000 and FS2002.

In the Netherlands they costed around 30 eur. My PC's would struggle to display the improvements,

but to me they were sort of the beginning of our add-on world.

I have this issue of not being able to add UTX USA and UTX Eur to FSX SE.

I just managed to install my boxed Just Flight FSceneX into my FSX SE. I ran the installer, It offered

C:/Program files86/.../.../.../.. to install to but I was able to browse to C:/Steam/Steamapps/

Common/FSX and it installed just fine. Could that be an indication that my PC's registry is less

mixed up as I first thought? So my UTX won't install in FSX SE, at least the installation runs fine, I can browse to my C:/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FSX In the actual final installscreen it only shows one option which is FSX-STEAM . It installs and says Installation completed but after that the message comes,:' The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be

located at the expected location below: C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG Now I only have FSX_SE in that folder and not FSX without -SE.

So I changed that name in the folder to 'FSX'only without 'SE' and started again, the error remained.

I just wonder what would happen if I manually add the required entries in the scenery.cfg file

and save it there, that would be not to difficult. (after making a backup first)

If only someone could mail me the exact text of these entries something like : this is from FS9

[Area.053]

Title=Ultimate Terrain - USA

Local=SCENERY\UTUSA

Layer=53

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Remote=

The UTX setup tool will not start. However I checked my C:/...FSX-SE/Scenery folder and there are about 10 UTX folders added there. So then I started FSX SE and added the areas through the settings/scenery add area process, which went fine. But when I started FSX SE afterwards almost all of USA was covered with trees and trees only. How on earth am I going to solve this , I dare not think about complex changes in the registry or reinstalling my WIN10. And going to ORBX is a 'nogo' pricewise for me, and I would problably have the same problem there to.

Flight1 forums is really huge. And often I simply don't understand their solutions, though there are many many posts there on this same issue.

thanks to you and anybody else or some other 'wizzkids' who can give me a suggestion

regards Peter I can add better pics if needed

UTX_FSXUTX_USA_Installerror_install_succesfl_13.JPG

UTX_FSXUTX_USA_Installerror_install_error_Browse_16.JPG

UTX_FSXUTX_USA_error_forest.JPG

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hi Peter,

A number of options to try....

Option 1 - with regards to the scenery.cfg entry you highlighted in post #13. I am assuming that you have installed the UT stuff into the default FSX Addon Scenery folder. Try ONE of the following as appropriate to where you have stored the scenery:

If installed at Addon Scenery\UTUSA:

[Area.053]

Local=Addon Scenery\UTUSA

Layer=53

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

OR If installed at Addon Scenery\Scenery\UTUSA:

[Area.053]

Local=ADDON SCENERY\Scenery\UTUSA

Layer=53

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

NOTE: that in both cases the Remote= entry has been delete - there should only be either a Local OR Remote entry. Also note that you will need to change the [Area.XX] AND Layer= entries to the next in number in sequence.

Option 2 - Do a 'soft' reboot of the scenery and scenery.cfg file. This will take you back to only FSX default scenery without uninstalling the addon stuff:

A. Rename the scenery.cfg file to scenery.cfg.bak.

B. Start FSX - this will force FSX to create a new scenery.cfg file that only contains entries for the default scenery.

C. Fly a quick flight (2 mins or so) - I suggest somewhere in the States so you can see if the tree problem has been resolved.

D. Exit FSX. Make a copy of the new scenery.cfg for use as a backup file and possible use later.

E. As the JF FSceneX appears to have installed correctly open both the scenery.cfg and scenery.cfg.bak files for editing. In the .cfg.bak file locate the FSceneX entry. Copy the entry and paste it into the ,cfg fiile. Change the [Area.XX] AND the Layer= entries to the next in sequence and then Save and Close the .cfg file.

F. Restart FSX and test. Again I suggest an area in the USA (bear in mind that FSceneX covers the whole world) first to check to see if the tree problem exist and then try another area to check if everything is OK.

G. Exit the flight but leave FSX running. Go to the Scenery settings page and add the UTUSA scenery as normal. Start another flight and test as in F. above.

If all good you can then add the other UT stuff.

If problems exist you may need to do a 'hard' reboot of the scenery by uninstalling the addons and then reinstalling them.

A (few) final general thoughts about adding scenery in general -

Regarding the tree issue. Both the FSceneX and UT products are Terrain replacement scenery and, therefore, consideration must be made as to where they appear in the FSX scenery priority list. As FSceneX covers the WHOLE world (i.e. including the USA) it must be placed lower than the UT product so that the UT scenery can properly 'override' the FSceneX scenery. BOTH must be listed above the default FSX scenery. E.G like this

001 - UTUSA

002 - FSceneX

003 - FSX default Area xxx

004 - FSX default Area xxx

A tool you might find useful is the Scenery Confg Tool -See HERE for info on it and HERE to download it. It allows you to add new scenery without running FSX but for this particular issue that you have, it can identify problem entries in the scenery.cfg file and has a built-in text editor that opens on the select entry.

Regards

Brian

So I changed that name in the folder to 'FSX'only without 'SE' and started again, the error remained.

First off, put that back to the original entry. FSX_SE, FSX-SE, whatever it was. If you don't, it will confuse FSX:SE no end.

The Scenery.CFG file in there is a record of what you've added to the Scenery Library, with the ADD Entry feature. It's what the sim reads to see what addons you've added to it's basic scenery. NOT what's in the ...FSX\Scenery folder, what's in the ...FSX\Addon Scenery folder. The entries that come pre-installed, so to speak, are the default scenery's. Anything that goes into the ...FSX\Scenery folder is auto-added, so to speak, into the sim, with no actions required by the user.

located at the expected location below: C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

Apparently, UTX thinks, for whatever reason, you have the box version of FSX installed. That's why it's looking for ...FSX\Scenery.cfg. IF you once had the box version installed, and then installed FSX-SE, you will get two folders in C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft . FSX and FSX-SE. If all you have is C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, either you only have ever had FSX-SE installed, or it still thinks you have the box version of FSX installed.

Either way, with only one FSX installation, the path should be C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.

I let CCleaner clean up the registry (it only came with left overs from the many (un)installments I've done the past 3 days, maybe the many left overs is a good sign) but my browser history was also gone.

Did you reboot the computer after you ran CCleaner, or did you just start installing UTX? You should have rebooted the first thing after CCleaner got done.

Have you tried taking the untouched Scenery.CFG file from out C:/Steam/Steamapps/

Common/FSX, and placing it into C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX ? That Scenery.cfg is a "clean slate", as if the the FSX program had just installed. It won't have any extraneous entries in it.

Of course, make a backup of what's there already FIRST, then copy the one from inside the root FSX folder over, ensuring you overwrite whatever's in there already. Do NOT, ever ever, make any changes of any kind to the copy in the FSX root folder. Only ever make any changes to the one in C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX .

Ensure the folder permissions Win10 has for any FSX folder are ones you can access as the Admin. Go into the folder in question, if you are al all unsure, and try creating an empty text file. If you can, then go in and try to delete it. If you can do both, you should be in good shape. I don't have Win10, so I can't give details on "How-To" for folder permissions. I do know it can be touchy about them.

If you HAD FSX boxed edition installed, but uninstalled it and installed FSX:SE, you will need to run the FSX Registry Tool. It can be found HERE

Even if you've never had FSX box installed, you might want to try giving that a shot. It seems to me UTX is getting confused about what you have, and where it is. The Registry Repair Tool might solve that problem. I would go through, and UNinstall every UTX thing you can find first. Use the MS Uninstall system in the computer's Control Panel, Programs and Features selection. Do that FIRST, then go through the computer, once it's totally done, and see if there any files or folders left. If there are, delete every one.

Finally, always run the UTX Installer as Admin. Rclick on it, and select Run As Administrator from the drop-down menu.

Ok, my brain hurts now. Let me know how you get on, K?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mr Pat I.ve decided to give it a bit rest I found a quote on steam that it would not matter what is the

name of the folder as long as the right files are in it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/135511294065310472/

I'm guessing, you've probably discovered the Scenery.cfg file that's also found within your Steam installation folders for FSX. It's a 'fraud' that seems to be designed to confuse us all! lol But seems to be completely irrelevent to the Steam install of FSX. Instead the game still uses the same default folder location of the active 'scenery.cfg' as it would do with a non Steam install of FSX. Hope that helps. All the best. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll read your mail very carefully and have done sofar more or less as you described, now in the process of cleaning everything up first and then take a next step. I am more confident now and try to be more

thoughtfull instead of impulsive. I have come to enjoy this learning process. Thanks again for yr help

we are in lockdown here , so I have time to spare....... I'll keep you posted Please stay well

regards Peter

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hi Peter,

First, my apologies but I missed some important info out in my original post regarding the location of the scenery.cfg file that you need to amend if you choose to follow my instructions. I meant to include the correct path for it - it should be at, depending on the circumstances under which you installed SE, either C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

If you installed the boxed version first and then installed SE along side it, it will be at C:….\FSX-SE

If you installed the boxed version and then fully uninstalled before installing SE it will be at C:\.....\FSX

If you installed the boxed version and but did notfully OR incorrectly uninstall it before installing SE it will be at C:\.....\FSX-SE

If you have never installed the box version it will be at C:\.....\FSX

Having further thought about the UT problem and its inability to find the scenery.cfg file at a specific location - namely C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

Its been a long time since I have had FS2004 installed but IIRC the scenery.cfg for it was stored in C:\Users\\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS2004\ or C:\.....\FS9\

I don't use UT so can't be sure but it could simply be that the installer is 'hard programmed' (i.e. coded) to install into a set default location and all you need to do is point the installer to the correct FSX location.

Regards

Brian

Hi Mr. Brian , thanks again and again for yr help and efforts.

I am in a position I do not want to be in... I'm with my family in lockdown. It's not nice but with kindness

and understanding for each other we are all doing as best as we can. Before going into this situation I thought : Well at least I have my FS9 and FSX to finally being able to make those long Intercontinental flights I allways wanted to but never had the time. Then the FSE UTX issue came. With great help from yourself and other members I have several options now to resolve this. I will do that.

But then 2 day ago during a flight my FS9 suddenly dropped from 40fps to 5fps.

With respect If you are interested please see the details;

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?321599-FSX-SE-80fps_FS8-40fps_FS9-5fps

So now I have FSX SE with a small issue and I have FS9 which will hardly start at all.

Which leaves me with my FS2002 that is still flying as good as ever .............. ?

Once again I'm impressed with the help and efforts I get from fellow simmers here and I hope that

someday I can offer some assistance to another member too.

Regarding the UTX: I will now make a schedule of all the options and information that have been presented to me and plan for coordinated and step by step actions to fly over a superbly detailled

FSX UTX USA. regards , will post my results here , Peter

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hi mr Pat, mr Piet here,

Still with the family in 'Lock-down' here but as long as we are kind to and understand each other

we have the strengh to make the trip.

I remember that before the lockdown became effective I thought by myself: 'at least I will have the time now to make those long intercontinental flights I allways wanted to make but never had the time for...' Have not been able yet to do that since my long lasting FS9 is also running out on me.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?321599-FSX-SE-80fps_FS8-40fps_FS9-5fps

this is the first on my actions list:

- Look for any residues (tick: show all hidden files boxes)of any former UTX installation anywhere in my

system

- then :the path should be C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.

- then: - Have you tried taking the untouched Scenery.CFG file from out C:/Steam/Steamapps/

Common/FSX, and placing it into C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

After the first Installation I got from Steam : the following path was created:

C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

This was side by side with my Boxed version:

C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

I have to admit here that before installing my Steam-FSX I have been so stupid not to have uninstalled and cleaned my Boxed version first. I'm learning from the resulting effects for that now,

I have to read so carefully now, word for word of

what is being said on that issue.

I changed this manually one time to :C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

this did not help ; so I changed it manually back FSX-SE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/135511294065310472/

I read on steam that the actual name of the folder would be of less importance as long as the correct

files are there, don't know the value of that remark....

So as I see it now :the actual question seems to be: Is this problem caused by the fact:

- that the exact full name and path of the folder is not correct

- that the correct file is not available in the folder that is there.

I will restart FSX now, close it and copy the then created root FSX/scenery.cfg to the

C:\Users\Peter Bootes\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE folder as it is named in my set-up

I just thought I also have the option of reinstalling from Steam itself after proper deinstall and full

CC-clean-up. I'll keep you posted. stay well and regards Peter

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Ummmmm...

Were you aware that you can have Steam verify that all the files for FSX are the correct files, in the correct places? And that if there is a trouble with the files, or their locations, that Steam will automatically repair the situation?

It's fairly easy. I can tell you how, or you can find a "How-To" for the whole File verification system on this site, or Steam. Google is your friend. :cool:

Bear in mind, though, that if you run the file verification, it MAY delete, or alter, any add-ons you may have installed. Scenery, planes, effects, whatever, so make back-ups of any add-ons you have installed. Especially planes and scenery, because they both add alot of files in other places than just the ones you might think. Like planes put gauges into the ...FSX\Gauges folder. Really, especially with payware, but with freeware too, the installers are normally downloaded as zip files. So as long as you still have the zip files, and any passwords you might need for the installation, like payware require, saved off, you're in good shape.

After the file verification system gets done, you can just re-install the add-ons you want. Remember to test each add-on after installation.

Takes a little time, but less than messing around, trying to do the verification yourself!

Let me know if you need help with this. :D

Pat☺

Edited by PhantomTweak

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mr Pat...

Dealing with 'fundamental changes......'

I entered 'Steam' just 5 days ago now. I'm no different then 'most of the nextdoor men and women'

when it comes to fundamental changes. You (in this case me) allways want to do things 'the old way'

I think in this whole discussion which has taken so much of your and my time, I simply overlooked the fact that I got this 'thing' from Steam in the first place. So I'll take this path now. I will go to Steam and see what options they have after downloading and installing a program on a PC. I can imagine that the best option would be to completely remove FSX SE through their program. I only added manually 'Flyaway Simulations Global Mesh' , put the files in the scenery folder and added them in the FSX SE ,Settings , Scenery Library , Add Area. All without any problem. By the way, these freeware files 45GB are a good replacement of my FSglobalX which would not install either, but the publisher here does not claim that it can be installed in FSX SE. So I will first remove the 'Fly-away' files in the explorer. Then I'll go to Steam and explore their program-options. I'll post my findings here. Thanks for yr help. regards Peter

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hi Peter,

Just a little bit of info that you may find useful...

The SE version of FSX is essentially the same as the boxed version. The SE version contains a few common 'tweaks', via additions/amendments to the fsx.cfg file and the inclusion of a specific .dll file, that are known to improve how FSX runs. These 'tweaks' would normally have to be added by a user running the boxed edition.

Regarding addons - MOST freeware and payware scenery and aicraft designed for FSX boxed will work in SE with no problems. The main issue is when an auto-installer is included as it will tend to look for the default FSX installation path by either looking for a valid registry entry or in a specific location (such as the issue you detailed regarding UT expecting to find the scenery.cfg at an incorrect location).

The thing to remember about Steam is that it stores all download games (not just FSX) in a non-standard folder structure that most non steam specific game and FSX addons are not expecting. The same would be true if you install the boxed version of FSX in a location other than the MS recommend location.

Another thing to consider is the location that you install addon scenery to. In most cases, including payware, you do not need to use the default FSX Addon Scenery folder, nor indeed, anywhere inside FSX itself. Scenery can be installed in a dedicated folder structure that you create yourself, either on the save drive as FSX, in another partition on the same drive or even on a second hard drive if fitted..

If, after doing the process that you are going to do, you still have issues with installing addon scenery directly into FSX, try creating a folder for it outside of FSX and point the installer to that location. You can make the folder structure as simply or as complex as you wish to meet your need. You can then use the FSX scenery settings page as normal to activate the scenery. The only hard rule that you must follow so that scenery displays correctly is this:

Scenery files (i.e. those with a .bgl extension) must be placed in a sub-folder called Scenery and Texture files (.bmp, .dds, .agn) must be placed in a sub-folder called Texture - e.g.

C:\MyAddonScenery\<.bgl files> WILL NOT DISPLAY

C:\MyAddonScenery\Scenery\<.bgl files> WILL DISPLAY

C:\MyAddonScenery\UTUSA\<.bgl files> WILL NOT DISPLAY

C:\MyAddonScenery\UTUSA\Scenery\<.bgl files> WILL DISPLAY

C:\UTUSA\<.bgl files> WILL NOT DISPLAY

C:\UTUSA\Scenery\<.bgl files> WILL DISPLAY

Regards

Brian

Mr Pat...

Dealing with 'fundamental changes......'

I entered 'Steam' just 5 days ago now. I'm no different then 'most of the nextdoor men and women'

when it comes to fundamental changes. You (in this case me) allways want to do things 'the old way'

I think in this whole discussion which has taken so much of your and my time, I simply overlooked the fact that I got this 'thing' from Steam in the first place. So I'll take this path now. I will go to Steam and see what options they have after downloading and installing a program on a PC. I can imagine that the best option would be to completely remove FSX SE through their program. I only added manually 'Flyaway Simulations Global Mesh' , put the files in the scenery folder and added them in the FSX SE ,Settings , Scenery Library , Add Area. All without any problem. By the way, these freeware files 45GB are a good replacement of my FSglobalX which would not install either, but the publisher here does not claim that it can be installed in FSX SE. So I will first remove the 'Fly-away' files in the explorer. Then I'll go to Steam and explore their program-options. I'll post my findings here. Thanks for yr help. regards Peter

==============================================================

Mr.Pat I've had steam verify the integrity of my C:/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FSX files. It showed no errors More I think about it more I believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my FSX installation itself. When I run the UTX USA installer it works just fine. During the proces I get four times the option of browsing to the above location, no problems sofar. In the end I get the positive confirmation that the Installation has completed, no prob. (The neccessary folders have all been

added to the FSX Scenery folder.) But after I click close on the last final confirmation screen another small app has to start; The UTX Scenery setup tool. (same as in boxed, a screen with a lot of options which can be (un)ticked at wish. It is here that I get this error message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\Peter XXXXX\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the message is correct : My location here is: 'with SE'

C:\Users\Peter XXXXX\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX SE

There is no (by default) SCENERY.CFG file in that folder. When I run FSX SE and close it

no SCENERY.CFG is added there. Only the FSX.CFG file is there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The essence of my problem here is : When I change the FSX folder.name manually and add a

copy of the SCENERY.CFG from FSX root in this folder the error message remains.

I checked FS9 and it is the same situation, there's only the Basic FS9.CFG in the.......

User/App/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9 folder (no SCENERY.CFG at least on my system)

Apart from deinstalling through Steam itself.

I'm now totally totally out of options and knowledge here. The last days I was more optimistic but rightnow I feel that I will never ever be able to add my UTX USA (and I also have UTX EUR waiting) in my FSX-SE

Here is a link on FLIGHT1 describing exact the same issue and the solution.

https://www.simforums.com/forums/topic57694.html

I know my own limitations, and I have many, this is a destination beyond my horizon!

I am afraid that I'm losing all motivation in my Fsim right now. Because whenever I would fly

FSX SE over USA and EUR I would allways be reminded of this issue.

Or when visiting Flightsim and Avsim one is allways confronted with ads. That's normal.

Publishers have to promote their products and the adds are a means of income for the FSIM-sites.

But I know I will not feel at ease when I would see ads of the reseller of this particular product.

Because this product has really caused me some major inconvenience now.

There are simply no other LandClass options for me, the're all way too expensive for me.

Thank god there was a guy on a Dutch Fsim-site who followed the thread and offered assistance too.

I wish there was someone with 'Teamview' who could follow the process from his side.

Well thanks again for all your help, stay well, regards : Peter

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hi Peter,

Check this location and see if there is a scenery.cfg file there.....

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

This is the standard default for Win 7, 8 and now Win 10. The default location for XP and Vista is C:\Users\\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.

If the scenery.cfg file is present try and point the UTX setup to that location

Regards

Brian

Well, more I thought about it, more I came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with my

FSX SE setup in itself. Even the extra folders in C:\ProgramData and User/AppData/roaming... etc.

were all correct placed and filled.

There was one source that provided the answer for me:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/topic57694.html

I was very reluctant to dig into the registry myself, but thanks to 'the big G...' there's enough

information available to stay 'on the safe side'.

I found there was 1 small value in the registry that caused my problem: in my registry under:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition there was a sub-value present: [10.0] I was sure that this was a 'left-over' from my

previous FSX Boxed edition. However this was only the 2nd time that I ever entered the registry.

But I pulled myself together and rightclicked and deleted this value.

(Now all my previous attemps were with a clean first Install of FSX SE(nothing added yet)

Whenever I do a total reinstall of any of my Sims (FS8, FS9 FSX) the very first thing I do

is make a full 'backup' on a spare Partition. (not the same as were the Sim itself is installed)

I do a lot of tweaking myself, it's a never ending story and I am glad for that.

But a 'backup' of the first clean install is for me essential. I backup FS9 after i've added

the FS9.1 update and the FS9_noCD patch)

So I restarted my PC, I began to sweat a little, I restarted FSX SE and thanks all it flew without a

problem. I said to myself : 'It's now or never........'

I started the UTX USA installer, as a I experienced with my previous attemps it installs just fine.

However during this install I was only offered to install the Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition

version where in my previous attemps I was given a choice between the Boxed and Steam Edition,

this to me was an extremely positive sign, I began to smile just a little ...................

I had to browse several times to my FSX SE: location :

C:/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FSX ( no SE here!!!) and the Installation completed succesfull

as had been the case with all my previous attemps.

After the completed Installation the UTX Setuptool has to open.

It was at this point where all my previous attemps failed when I got the 'error message'

But this time ,thanks all, no error message but a full running 'UTX setup tool'

I could not believe my eyes after nearly 2 weeks of reading hundreds of posts on this issue.

Almost coming to a point where I would either throw all my flightsims in the bin or rebuild my

Windows10 from scratch.

UTX_FSXUTX_USA_Installerror.JPG

now it was working and I got :

FSXSE_UTX_USA_Hurray.jpg

thanks to the FSIM community for providing all information

regards Peter

UTX_FSXUTX_USA_Installerror_s_1.JPG

Succes1.jpg

Edited by piet06273
screenshots

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg