Dell Aurora Desktop - experiences, opinions, reviews?

22 Yankee

I am considering a Dell Aurora desktop for FS. Curious if anyone has one, plus some opinions and reviews would be greatly appreciated. I am not a computer guy by any stretch of the imagination. I just want to fly sims and thinking that a pre-built might be a good option. I realize this inquiry might invite many opinions and reasons as to why it's better to build your own PC, and I admire people that have that skill set. But rather, just wanting to get as much info as possible on that particular PC.

I used to build my own PCs, but the last three machines I have used for flight sim have been Dell Auroras or Alienware equivalent.

You do pay a premium for these PCs, but they are solid, reliable and great on performance.

My two cents,

spacer.png

Another option is to build a PC with the help of pcpartpicker.com and the aid of users here and have a computer shop put it together for you. It may cost about the same or slightly more with labor involved. Just a thought.

Looking at the Dell Aurora specs it will run FS, but since FS is only a single threaded and CPU oriented game, you still can't crank all the settings to max and expect great performance. The rule of thumb is to use moderate settings and set your FPS in the Sim to at least 25-30 to give breathing room for the CPU to compute instructions. In addition to that, if you intend on using FSX you may want to look at the sticky in that forum about modding the FSX.cfg file. Also, only install FS into the root of C:\\ drive. If you install to the programs folder you may get issues with add-ons. This is due to Windows protecting the programs folder from writes, etc.

If you intend on installing a lot of add-ons and scenery, look at my Sig on how to prevent OOMs. There's a tool you can use to disable scenery that you don't use for a flight. If you for example have a ton of photo scenery, FS will use it all even though you don't fly there and thus will over load the 3.5 GB limit that FS has being a 32 bit application.

Just some stuff I thought you should know before you install the Sim. Note you more than likely will be using win 10. Have a look at my forum post here: https://cyberpcforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=524

I don't like Win 10 at all due to its privacy invading crap (just read the EULA) and its forced updates which can and WILL cause havoc. I have read case after case of Win 10 users getting hosed from updates. In the last major April update there was a lot of issues for people. I have read that on Facebook from the Facebook page GamerPC with all the comments. If one tells you updates don't cause problems, then they are simply full of it. M$ doesn't give updates the quality control that they need.

Now watch, I'm going to get flamed by the win 10 fan boys. LMAO!

"the specs of the aurora" is somewhat meaningless. After all, there are many different aurora models. Ranging from i3 processors to i7. And with all sorts of different videocard options.

Pus, many of the second hand ones will be older models, with again entirely different specifications.

About installing, do you have FSX Disk edition on DVD's, Or FSX-Steam edition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived