Thread: Fast solution to `greyed out` ATC

Default Fast solution to `greyed out` ATC

Maybe coincidence but I've dealt with two incidents of `failed` ATC in P3Dv4.2 in the last week.

The tips for fixing it include everything from deleting all the temporary .cfg files in the Appdata and ProgramData folders to a reset of the failure menu in-sim to doing a repair install which can ruin an otherwise-good, working installation, so I thought I'd reiterate the best & quickest fix in case anyone runs into it (although hope remains 4.3 will see this irritating glitch fixed once and for all).

The `problem` seems caused by a mis-read of the Prepar3D .cfg entry of ATC - despite corruption it looks perfectly normal in any viewer so no-one looks any deeper, hence the long-winded fixes.

Most setups have the `working` Prepar3d.cfg in "\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" and there should be at least one backup version of the file in there.
    Simply copy the entry from a backup (or use the version from here) and overwrite the entry in the working .cfg. That's it.
    Relaunch sim and it's fixed:

[ATC]
    AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1
    UsePilotVoice=1
    ShowATCText=1
    PilotVoice=0
    COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=0XFF8C00
    COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=0X00008B
    COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=0X006400
    COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=0XA52A2A
    COMM_MSG_ATIS_COLOR=00000000

Hi Mallcott....no joy....your setting exists in my default p3d.cfg....I am still searching for a solution.

Sherm

Quote Originally Posted by shermank View Post
    Hi Mallcott....no joy....your setting exists in my default p3d.cfg....I am still searching for a solution.

Sherm
    As I said, the fact that it exists is irrelevant. Copy the section above and place it in Prepar3d.cfg overwriting what is there. There's some hidden corruption that affects the visibility of the ATC section.

I'm not sure I'm at the right place, but my P3D ATC quits working about 5-10 minutes after departure. It's not what I would call "greyed out," but it gives me no options to talk to anybody. I have p3d v4.3. Anybody have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by n697dt View Post
    I'm not sure I'm at the right place, but my P3D ATC quits working about 5-10 minutes after departure. It's not what I would call "greyed out," but it gives me no options to talk to anybody. I have p3d v4.3. Anybody have any ideas?
    You have missed an ATC callout and had the ATC service cancelled.

Solution: DON'T ignore ATC.

6. Default

If you had missed a call and atc terminated service you should still be able to contact another controller.
    If you are not getting the option to tune anything it sounds more as if your avionics are switched off.
    Make sure avionics are on. Also make sure the battery is on, (not just the generators) . Avionics are usually fed by the battery bus.
    Last edited by il88pp; 03-15-2019 at 10:38 PM.