Meigs Field revisited

Very Nice Adam...Been a while :pilot:

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

As usual Adam, your pics are amazing, I am jealous of how they look. I love the sunset or sunrise in both pics. Has anyone ever seen the video about a B727 that landed there in real life? That pilot had you know what. He made a by pass that flew over runway pretty close as it circled around to make a long final, he touched down on the numbers, stopped in time to exit the last taxi way. I located it, if you google B727 Meig field you will here the test pilot talk about it as well it showed the fly by and land, it looks like a hairy landing enjoy this bit of history gone away. Kenny

Adam as usual yo show us how these screen shots should be done!!

Kenny that's a great story! I bet the feds were less than thrilled!!:mad::mad:

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Michael, It was well planned as they were putting that plane in a Museum. I understand what you are saying in the post. Did you watch the video? it is worth watching. I wish they showed it turning off at the end. I wondered what the people in those buildings thought if they were not in on it. Kenny

Hi!

Watched the video of that Boeing at Meigs! Much interesting! I wonder whether at Chicago, they don't gather all what is vehicles, no? If I remember well, there is also, in their museum of Science and Industry, a WW2 German U-boat, which came up to Chicago trough the Great Lakes :):)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Michael, It was well planned as they were putting that plane in a Museum. I understand what you are saying in the post. Did you watch the video? it is worth watching. I wish they showed it turning off at the end. I wondered what the people in those buildings thought if they were not in on it. Kenny

Yes I see what you mean. It reminds me of watching a C-130 land and take off on The Enterprise while it was at anchor.

G'erard,

Sorry to say in the US we're always looking for another excuse to shut down a public use site like Meigs so the land can be sold for a dime for a dollar's worth of value to people who then put up apartments, shopping centers, and condos. We don't care about anything but profits for the already hyper-rich!

I even know of a local airport that has been here since around 1930. When it was first opened in the 30's there was nothing near but fields for miles.

It was converted from a mostly commercial airport into the best General Aviation airport in the area in the 1950's

However over the last 80 years fancy housing has grown up all around it. Most of those homes were built in the '60s+. Which is a decade or more after the conversion to mostly GA occurred. So pretty much anyone who built or bought a home there already knew the airport was alive and functioning!

Now the owners of those fancy homes, who weren't even born when the airport was built and whose house wasn't built when the airport went GA, want it to close because they don't like the noise of an airport! :mad::mad:

Oh and yes, there's a huge bunch of scavengers waiting for that closure to happen so they can buy that land up and make a killing off if it as well!

I know that feelings as I saw a very small "Birds nest" airport in Huntington Beach named Meadowlark Airport wish they would have put it on the historical registry so it could not get torn down, got torn down so they can build a strip mall. The airport was there in and around 1940's, it closed 1989. That is where I learned to fly in 1973. I miss small airports, where I live now in a bit of small town in north central Az, thank goodness there is a small airport 5,000' runway. The pilots have a website google meadowlark airport Huntington Beach Ca. Kenny

A poor description of the US, Rupert! I had better memories than that :(

SAD BUT TRUE!! Like Kenny I've seen several examples bringing out the worst in people to pay the richest.:(

I know that feelings as I saw a very small "Birds nest" airport in Huntington Beach named Meadowlark Airport wish they would have put it on the historical registry so it could not get torn down, got torn down so they can build a strip mall. The airport was there in and around 1940's, it closed 1989. That is where I learned to fly in 1973. I miss small airports, where I live now in a bit of small town in north central Az, thank goodness there is a small airport 5,000' runway. The pilots have a website google meadowlark airport Huntington Beach Ca. Kenny

In that case you probably also remember the blimp hangers in what was called the Santa Ana Air Facility right by the freeway. Most of my time while stationed in the US was spent flying Ch-34s and CH-46s from there.

Hi!

Sad stories!

It looks like in France we might be safe of that. All the small terrains around Dijon, for example, are happily located in few populated areas, and each fair season, we have some aerial meetings! The only thing similar to what you describe in your posts was the case of Dijon's former AFB. They wanted too to turn it into terrains for building houses etc. but the terrain eventually escaped that fate, with some traffic still existing and varied aviation-related small companies!

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Abel, Zippy, Gérard, Jan, Joe, Larry, Kenny, Michael, thank you much fellas. :)

Abel - nice to see you back again. :)

Gérard - yep, in the early days of FS that's about the only place I flew. :rolleyes::D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived