Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SCENERY.CFG/scenery.cfg

Default SCENERY.CFG/scenery.cfg

Is there a difference between these two files? I've move UTX and GEX from my C: drive to an F: drive but it says it cannont find SCENERY.CFG, well neither can I. I have five files called scenery.cfg but none called SCENERY.CFG I recently reistalled FSX-SE and, although it works i do not have a file in users called FSX-SE. I have put my dilemma on 5 different STEAM forums but have received nothuing since May 22. Any ideas?
    Brian W.

Quad Core Asus board, 3.3 gz EVGA GTX 550.ti, 8 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Interesting! I don't have FSX-SE but I have 2 scenery.cfg files in my Sim. One hides in my Main FSX folder (I think it's just a backup file) The working scenery.cfg is in the same location as your FSX.cfg.

Please raise your hand when you are totally confused
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Well, I've got FSX:SE installed and fully operational. Works great.

There IS one Scenery.cfg in the root FSX folder, down in the D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX (or whatever drive you use), but it's, as you said Zippy, a back-up. The default that comes with the sim, and gets placed during installation.
    The actual, functional one, that get's altered when you add/subtract from your Scenery Library, is located at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX . That's the one you want, Brian.
    At least in Win7.

Hope this helps a bit...
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Well, I appreciate the quick response guys, but here's the deal. I've had FSX-SE working for a long time. All of a sudden, I tried to open it one morning, got a message "you don't have a SCENERY.CFG (all caps). I went to steam and they said it looks like you will have to reinstall. So with all my stuff after like 3 years, I reinstalled. Still don't have SCENERY.CFG. I tried to reistall UTX and got a message, we can't find SCENERY.CFG (all caps) I've been trying to get some response from setam for 3 weeks now and get nothing. I have the 2 scenery.cfg files that you both tell me about and FSX-SE works but I can't install UTX. I suppose I should go to ORBX but I don't have the cash right now. (retired and on SS and pension.) so I was hping to find this stupid file somewhere.
    Brian W.

Quad Core Asus board, 3.3 gz EVGA GTX 550.ti, 8 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by svpst View Post
    Well, I appreciate the quick response guys, but here's the deal. I've had FSX-SE working for a long time. All of a sudden, I tried to open it one morning, got a message "you don't have a SCENERY.CFG (all caps). I went to steam and they said it looks like you will have to reinstall. So with all my stuff after like 3 years, I reinstalled. Still don't have SCENERY.CFG. I tried to reistall UTX and got a message, we can't find SCENERY.CFG (all caps) I've been trying to get some response from setam for 3 weeks now and get nothing. I have the 2 scenery.cfg files that you both tell me about and FSX-SE works but I can't install UTX. I suppose I should go to ORBX but I don't have the cash right now. (retired and on SS and pension.) so I was hping to find this stupid file somewhere.
    I'm wondering if you have been affected, like some have, by the latest Win 10 update. The only thing I can think of is to do a search of your system and look for every SCENERY.CFG you can find My bet is you will only come up with scenery.cfg.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Well, I have noticed some things have changed since the last Win10 upgrade, mostly with displays, and True this may be one of them. I have searched all my drives (I have 3 HDD's and FSX-SE is on an SDD,) and only come up with the 3 scenery.cfg files (one in users\appdate\roaming\microsoft\fsx and one with in STEAM..FSX itself. Don't know why UTX can't find but UTX still tells me it can't find this SCENERY.CFG file it's looking for. Had no probalem at all with GEX
    Brian W.

The message fromUTX IS this:
    The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be located at the expected location below:

C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoift\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG.

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at:

www.simforums.com/forums

When I go to the simforums site I get a 404 File or Directory Not Found.

Somewhat frustrating. (I have no FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG location. There is a scenery.cfg file in the directory. But it likes it not.
    Brian W.

8. Default

Win does not care if file name is caps or lowercase.
    The scenery.cfg inside the main folder is not "just a backup". It is there to restore the active file if that ever becomes lost or corrupted. So don't delete the one in the main folder. Don't edit it either.

In Windows 10 the working scenery file is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG (in caps indeed).

(MrZ's location is for Windows XP).

If UTX gives the message
    Code:
    The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be located at the expected location below:
    C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG.
    then their installer is wrong imo. On my install (boxed FSX) there is no trace of any scenery.cfg in the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft folder and subfolders.

Wim

Well, I can think of 2 things to try.
    First, you could try copying the scenery.cfg in you root FSX directory to wherever the sim is looking for it. If it doesn't work, try renaming it with that all caps thing. Never heard of that before, bu you can give it a try.
    As as has been said, don't change the one in the root FSX directory for any reason.

Second, have you tried the File Verification Steam offers? It really do work well. Open your Steam client, go to the Library, select FSX as though you wanted to play, but instead of another Lclick, rclick on it. Select Properties>Local Files>Verify Files.
    Make sure you back up anything you've added to FSX since day one. Planes, gauges, effects, scenery, everything. Their Backup Local Files selection works very nicely, or you can do it manually.

In my experience, and I don't have Win10, won't for as long as I can, either, that File Verification system works very nicely for problems like this...

Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast