Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Return to the fold.

Originally you were to insert disc one when you started the sim. Now their are patches to correct that.
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
    CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K [email protected]
    Memory: 16.00GB Ram
    Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39” Monitor
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Egsjr1956 View Post
    Originally you were to insert disc one when you started the sim. Now their are patches to correct that.
    Yes, Disc 4, always had to be inserted before the program would load. And, yes someone did come out with that patch to circumvent the need to inserting that disk to be able to use the program. Me? I was a ittle skeptical of it, never did get the patch! I moved on to FSX, so my FS2004 set sits in my desk drawer. I enjoy FSX, never would consider going back. The computer that I currently have handles it just fine. I have the acceleration disk, but have yet to download it, as I think that would probably be "the straw that broke the camel's back!" It's doing it's job right now and I'm not going to push it!

Rick

I stand corrected (Disc 4). I have 2004 on my second computer and I just play around with it to see what I can get out of it. It was truly an amazing sim. Looks - soso - smoothness - you can't beat it.
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
    CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K [email protected]
    Memory: 16.00GB Ram
    Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39” Monitor
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Egsjr1956 View Post
    I stand corrected (Disc 4). I have 2004 on my second computer and I just play around with it to see what I can get out of it. It was truly an amazing sim. Looks - soso - smoothness - you can't beat it.
    No doubt about the smoothness and the graphics is better on FS9, in my opinion. I just decided to move on to FSX and I am pleased with it, never to go back! But you are right about FS9, I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into flight simming! It's a good start, doesn't require much from the computer! I had both on the computer for the longest time, just wasn't using the FS9!

Rick

Thanks for the replies to my original post. Ref FS9, I pulled the trigger on a vgc copy of FSX Deluxe Which installed without any problems in XP and has been working great so far. I've left all of the settings as installed and it matches my skill level quite well so I'll leave it for a bit. I'm still unsure as to whether I'll upgrade the OS to Windows 10 as the most cost-effective way for me would be to buy a refurbished computer off Ebay. On the other hand, FSX doesn't use any more than 4Gb of ram, which I already have, so, if my CPU and graphics card are up to it, I can probably afford to wait a while for my skill level to catch up. Any thoughts?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Oldynewby View Post
    Thanks for the replies to my original post. Ref FS9, I pulled the trigger on a vgc copy of FSX Deluxe Which installed without any problems in XP and has been working great so far. I've left all of the settings as installed and it matches my skill level quite well so I'll leave it for a bit. I'm still unsure as to whether I'll upgrade the OS to Windows 10 as the most cost-effective way for me would be to buy a refurbished computer off Ebay. On the other hand, FSX doesn't use any more than 4Gb of ram, which I already have, so, if my CPU and graphics card are up to it, I can probably afford to wait a while for my skill level to catch up. Any thoughts?
    If it's running ok for you then all is fine. The issue will be if you bump up settings and start including add-ons. Big difference between default FSX and one with add-ons. It all depends what you will add to how much load it will place on your PC. Keep in mind, if you get to a point your PC is struggling and you are not happy, you can always drop back to FS9. I've found a custom FS9 will slaughter a default FSX in appearance and still need less PC power. To really enhance FSX to the max, you need a high end machine.
    Mark Daniels

7. Default

You can have years of fun with that playing fsx and using all the nice freeware addons. Years of fun.
    Enjoy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldynewby View Post
    Enjoy the FSX! Don't underestimate Windows XP as I believe Mr Zippy on this site claims his computer is still operating with XP and in the process of helping others and seeing what he performs with that computer, it's hard to believe it is still standing up to whatever he can throw at it!

When I purchased my FSX, I had some doubt that my newly purchased computer would be able to run it, but same thing, it's running fine! I am running an i5 processor 3.2 Ghz Win 7 and is meeting my demands. When I purchased the FSX Deluxe Gold boxed, I installed the 2 FSX Deluxe discs, but never downloaded the 3rd disk, which is the acceleration disk, which I believe if I tried that additional disk, the computer would quit in protest! I've been thankful for what I can run, it allows me to download additional aircraft! I have NOT tried any of the scenery add-ons out there. That too might put the computer over the brink. You just can't get greedy when you're operating with an older system, or one that doesn't have the extra horsepower to meet the demands of add-on expansions and scenery software! If it's working, enjoy it! You will know when it is time to move on to something with a little extra to handle the new goodies you will find along the way!

Later, and happy flying! And welcome to this forum community. You have a great bunch of guys and gals that participate not only for their own needs, but the needs of others. You will like this group for sure!

Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 06-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2