Return to the fold.

Oldynewby

Hi.

After a long break from simming I've decided to test the water again to see if I can be more successful at it than I was previously. To be honest, I couldn't be less successful!

My past simming history is one of defeat and dismal failure. Firstly, with FS5 my computer wasn't up to the job, then I changed the computer and upgraded to FS98 my hardware let me down. All in all I've never successfully completed a flight...

So here we are again. I've dusted off the old PC after using a Mac for several years and I'm ready to start again.

I intend using my old computer with new Saitek hardware in an attempt to control the cost. The specs are AMD Athlon 7550 Dual Core 2.5 GHz and 4Gb RAM (Although only 3.25Gb appears on the system info.) Nvidia GE Force 9600 GSO 512 graphics card.

I'll also be reacquainting myself with FS98 before I decide whether to go with another package. In the meantime I have a few questions:-

Will FS98 support the Saitek gear through USB?

Will FS98 support multiple monitors in readiness for a software upgrade?

The minimum requirement for FSX is a 2GHz or higher single core processor. Mine is a 2.5GHz dual core. Will this be suitable or does FSX need the full 2GHz through a single core? Would this mean a 4GHz dual core minimum spec processor?

Lastly, is FS98 backwards compatible for scenery as I have a scenery pack of my local area from FS5? Ok, I know it won't look fantastic but I really don't want to spend the money until I know everything works!Thanks very much in advance to anyone who's still reading and can offer some help.

Regards,

Paul.

I'm a total PC dummy and only know how to waggle my joystick to make my little planes go WHEEH! so it's no use asking me (sniffle).

All I know is that I solved all my simming problems years ago when I bought FSX and a super-duper PC to play it..:)

Thanks for that. Unfortunately that avenue's not open to me for the moment.

Likely no replies because hardly anyone uses FS98. Unless you are running a really old operating system FS98 may give multiple issues.

Looking at your specs, forget FSX, you really need a high end machine especially if you start throwing some reasonable addons in there. I'd recommend FS9 as up to this moment it is still a fully functioning flight sim. Masses of addons, real weather can still be added for free although through and external program which slaughters the inbuilt system anyhow, AI traffic is available, basically anything and everything. Tonnes of freeware and payware out there and FS9 will pretty much run on any operating system. You can get it off eBay quite cheap these days.

If you really want to continue looking at FS98 or anything pre FS9 there are various forums you can explore for info on this site. I'd personally be running straight for FS9 in your situation. Best of luck!

Edit: Regarding Saitek, no idea with FS98 but FS9 should work perfectly as long as what you have supports the operating system you are using.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Looking at your specs, forget FSX, you really need a high end machine especially if you start throwing some reasonable addons in there. I'd recommend FS9 as up to this moment it is still a fully functioning flight sim. Masses of addons, real weather can still be added for free although through and external program which slaughters the inbuilt system anyhow, AI traffic is available, basically anything and everything. Tonnes of freeware and payware out there and FS9 will pretty much run on any operating system. You can get it off eBay quite cheap these days.

If you really want to continue looking at FS98 or anything pre FS9 there are various forums you can explore for info on this site. I'd personally be running straight for FS9 in your situation. Best of luck!

+1 Go for the FS9 (FS2004 Century of Flight, product is called either name). Still some good buys on Ebay, ask for very good to excellent condition, make sure you get a product key, and most importantly make sure all 4 disks are in your purchase!

Good luck - Rick :cool:

Here's an example. Flight Sim 2004 (FS9), 4 disks with tin, very good condition, sellers says discs are free of scratches. Only question to ask seller, do you have the product key with the sale?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-2004-A-Century-of-Flight-PC-2003-Collectors-Tin/263754071359?epid=10813&hash=item3d68f7bd3f:g:K9gAAOSwydpa8fXv

$17.99 w/ free shipping!

And there are more on Ebay, similiar listings! - Rick

Free shipping won't help if you're in Wales, UK. But you get the jest of what I am saying. You have options, I am sure!

Edited by Downwind66

Mark - Now that you mention it, I believe you are correct! I just went into the box my FS2004 came in and found a scratch sheet of paper that had Microsoft numbers on it and the last number I had listed was 69768-442-4870153-23163. I was thinking those were products codes, but I have 3 other long numbers. I think those must be confirmation numbers you are given when you download or update, in the event you had to call Microsoft for support! A lot those numbers will do you today! I think I had the original download with the one update and 2 other downloads (one for a new computer years ago and another when I thought it would be nice to have both FS2004 and FSX loaded at the same time)!

Anyway, good to know, thanks for catching that! - Rick

Originally you were to insert disc one when you started the sim. Now their are patches to correct that.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Originally you were to insert disc one when you started the sim. Now their are patches to correct that.

Yes, Disc 4, always had to be inserted before the program would load. And, yes someone did come out with that patch to circumvent the need to inserting that disk to be able to use the program. Me? I was a ittle skeptical of it, never did get the patch! I moved on to FSX, so my FS2004 set sits in my desk drawer. I enjoy FSX, never would consider going back. The computer that I currently have handles it just fine. I have the acceleration disk, but have yet to download it, as I think that would probably be "the straw that broke the camel's back!" It's doing it's job right now and I'm not going to push it!

Rick :cool:

I stand corrected (Disc 4). I have 2004 on my second computer and I just play around with it to see what I can get out of it. It was truly an amazing sim. Looks - soso - smoothness - you can't beat it.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I stand corrected (Disc 4). I have 2004 on my second computer and I just play around with it to see what I can get out of it. It was truly an amazing sim. Looks - soso - smoothness - you can't beat it.

No doubt about the smoothness and the graphics is better on FS9, in my opinion. I just decided to move on to FSX and I am pleased with it, never to go back! But you are right about FS9, I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into flight simming! It's a good start, doesn't require much from the computer! I had both on the computer for the longest time, just wasn't using the FS9!

Thanks for the replies to my original post. Ref FS9, I pulled the trigger on a vgc copy of FSX Deluxe Which installed without any problems in XP and has been working great so far. I've left all of the settings as installed and it matches my skill level quite well so I'll leave it for a bit. I'm still unsure as to whether I'll upgrade the OS to Windows 10 as the most cost-effective way for me would be to buy a refurbished computer off Ebay. On the other hand, FSX doesn't use any more than 4Gb of ram, which I already have, so, if my CPU and graphics card are up to it, I can probably afford to wait a while for my skill level to catch up. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies to my original post. Ref FS9, I pulled the trigger on a vgc copy of FSX Deluxe Which installed without any problems in XP and has been working great so far. I've left all of the settings as installed and it matches my skill level quite well so I'll leave it for a bit. I'm still unsure as to whether I'll upgrade the OS to Windows 10 as the most cost-effective way for me would be to buy a refurbished computer off Ebay. On the other hand, FSX doesn't use any more than 4Gb of ram, which I already have, so, if my CPU and graphics card are up to it, I can probably afford to wait a while for my skill level to catch up. Any thoughts?

If it's running ok for you then all is fine. The issue will be if you bump up settings and start including add-ons. Big difference between default FSX and one with add-ons. It all depends what you will add to how much load it will place on your PC. Keep in mind, if you get to a point your PC is struggling and you are not happy, you can always drop back to FS9. I've found a custom FS9 will slaughter a default FSX in appearance and still need less PC power. To really enhance FSX to the max, you need a high end machine.

Mark Daniels

Enjoy the FSX! Don't underestimate Windows XP as I believe Mr Zippy on this site claims his computer is still operating with XP and in the process of helping others and seeing what he performs with that computer, it's hard to believe it is still standing up to whatever he can throw at it!

When I purchased my FSX, I had some doubt that my newly purchased computer would be able to run it, but same thing, it's running fine! I am running an i5 processor 3.2 Ghz Win 7 and is meeting my demands. When I purchased the FSX Deluxe Gold boxed, I installed the 2 FSX Deluxe discs, but never downloaded the 3rd disk, which is the acceleration disk, which I believe if I tried that additional disk, the computer would quit in protest! I've been thankful for what I can run, it allows me to download additional aircraft! I have NOT tried any of the scenery add-ons out there. That too might put the computer over the brink. You just can't get greedy when you're operating with an older system, or one that doesn't have the extra horsepower to meet the demands of add-on expansions and scenery software! If it's working, enjoy it! You will know when it is time to move on to something with a little extra to handle the new goodies you will find along the way!

Later, and happy flying! And welcome to this forum community. You have a great bunch of guys and gals that participate not only for their own needs, but the needs of others. You will like this group for sure!

Edited by Downwind66

• 2 years later...
I decided after a break of 3 years to restart FS 2004, only to find my Disc4 is useless as it is badly scratched, and this is my third copy, I know there is a patch you can use so you do not need disc 4, Does anyone know is there a complete moron,s guide to installing this patch available? as I have read a few how to posts but am still completely in the dark:(:(