FSX perfomance on SSD

Acuity

Hi

Not a complaint or moan, just ever since upgrading to SSD, i'm still finding load times approx. 1 minute to load a Flight, or change the Time/Season for example

I thought it would be quicker, i suspect it's just down to all the stuff it has to do still

I have a mid range Laptop i use for work, and put FSX on it, and it does run fine for a novice like me (i know it needs PC ideally)

Spec:

Dell latitude E6430

i7-3540M processor @3.00Ghz Dual Core HT enabled

4 GB Ram (a little low i suspect) bumped up Virtual Memory to 6 Gb also

Intel HD 4000 Graphics (looks fine to me)

FSX Steam edition

Uk2000 Stansted Extreme

GSX

REX 4 Direct (via Steam)

VFR Photo Scenery (via Steam)

HD Airport Add on (via Steam)

737 Sound Add on (via Steam)

Perhaps i need to bump up Memory to 8GB, which may help

Hello,

Upgrading to a SSD will help to improve load times, but FSX is a more CPU dependant game.

Simply upgrading the CPU will greatly improve the performance of the game (around 4,00Ghz).

RAM space can also help out, but the main culprit is the CPU.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

Best Regards,

Hello,

Upgrading to a SSD will help to improve load times, but FSX is a more CPU dependant game.

Simply upgrading the CPU will greatly improve the performance of the game (around 4,00Ghz).

RAM space can also help out, but the main culprit is the CPU.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

Thanks for advice

Will look into that, and also may have to upgrade to bigger SSD, not much left from initial 120gb drive :(

I agree with Zon,

In my experience everything good or involving FSX and/or P3D revolves around your CPU.

As I hope you understand, a SSD will only really be noticeably helpful while loading the flight. Having said that, if you're going to upgrade I'd certainly advise you to consider 480gb or more.

Back to the basic. When FSX was written over a decade ago they always assumed that CPUS would continue to get faster. They never considered that instead of increasing CPU speed the manufacturers would add more cores. I've heard it said that Microsoft expected a 8,000+ GHZ single core CPU to be the future of computing. Also, when designing FSX they worked with Intel to devise systems which would work the best based upon that Intel chip.

What I'm saying, and you've probably heard before is: Buy the fastest Intel CPU you can possibly afford! Then back it up with fast ram as well. A big GPU is great, especially if you're going to use multiple monitors. But unlike most of the current computer games, basics like uploading and almost all operations are functions of CPU speed. And yes, despite some claims both Steam and P3D are still truly only updates of the original product.

BUY AN INTEL CHIP WITH A CLOCK SPEED OF 4,000 GHZ OR BETTER! ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

You answered your own question

Uk2000 Stansted Extreme

GSX

REX 4 Direct (via Steam)

VFR Photo Scenery (via Steam)

HD Airport Add on (via Steam)

737 Sound Add on (via Steam)

All those add duration to the loading times. Remove them, and the loading times will go back to normal.

Filling up an SSD to near capacity is sure to lessen its performance - actually true for HD's too. Some techs say it starts to slow past 85% utilization. And you need to do the post-SSD install checklist: turn off indexing, turn off task scheduled defrag, turn off the SuperFetch service, all redundant and actually detrimental for best SSD performance. Alas, my own FSX is still running on a 10K-RPM HD, but I plan to upgrade to SSD this summer.

It is not possible to upgrade Cpu or graphics card on that laptop. They are soldered to the mainboard and are not replacable.

Thanks for all advice, i am more than happy with how it all looks at present, and unlikely to buy another PC, although my Son has decided he like's this Fortnite game now, which has filled up any space i had left on the drive. (i had to remove it much to my Son's disapproval)

Capture.JPG

Filling up an SSD to near capacity is sure to lessen its performance - actually true for HD's too.

For writes, not reads. Read performance is the same no matter how full the SSD is. (And for spinning rust, it's the same assuming a similar level of fragmentation.)

Cheers!

Luke

For writes, not reads. Read performance is the same no matter how full the SSD is. (And for spinning rust, it's the same assuming a similar level of fragmentation.)

Cheers!

Luke

Yes, but reading more content takes longer.

A fundamental truism of ANY collection of data, no matter the storage medium.

A SSD is faster - considerably faster - but still slowed by large amounts of data, typified by the vast number of small files on a sim installation. Or VFR photo data in this case.

Archived