A-10 Warthog question

In addition to playing FSX I play Battlefield 2 with the AIX mod. In some of the levels the A-10 is on the aircraft carrier. Is that true in real life? Can the A-10 take off and land on an aircraft carrier? I wouldn't think so but I'm asking.

I saw a C-130 land and later take off using the flight deck of the Enterprise. The Enterprise was stationary launching Liberty Boats in Subic Bay at the time. This happened back in the 60's.

I don't know much about a Warthog. But I just read that it is a very successful STOL aircraft. So I wouldn't be too shocked if that capability would allow it to work off a carrier as well.

The C-130 I watched operate off the Enterprise had neither a tail hook or designed in ship launch devices. It stopped using reversed props and took off with lots of JATO units. I suspect a Warthog, having STOL could do something on its' own a well.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

That last part is untrue, JATO wasn't used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

Wim

Sorry Dude! They used a bunch of JATO bottles the day I and several other people saw it happen on the Enterprise. Perhaps the load of VIPS they carried made them more cautious or maybe this was because of a heavier gross or higher ambient air temp. But I saw it happen RW with my own RW eyes!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

There were trials made with the C-130 as a COD aircraft candidate, without JATO. But those were made in American waters, AFAIK.

As for the carrier-based A-10, I don't think so. Amongst other things, such as an arrestor hook and a nose gear to take the catapult, it would also have to have carrier-aligned INS, carrier autoland system and so on.

Jorgen

Sorry Dude! They used a bunch of JATO bottles the day I and several other people saw it happen on the Enterprise. Perhaps the load of VIPS they carried made them more cautious or maybe this was because of a heavier gross or higher ambient air temp. But I saw it happen RW with my own RW eyes!!

The landing and take-off on the Enterprise is new to me. I was only aware of the trials on the Forrestal (not JATO-assisted).

It surprises me btw they carried a "load of VIPs" as payload on something that never left the experimental stage, as they went for the C-2 Greyhound as COD eventually.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I seriously doubt that the Warthog sports a tail hook or retractable launch cable hooks.

And thanks. That makes sense then. Wasn't really sure, and I know BF2 with the AIX mod is just a game, but the question was beckoning me. :D

I saw a C-130 land and later take off using the flight deck of the Enterprise. The Enterprise was stationary launching Liberty Boats in Subic Bay at the time. This happened back in the 60's.

I don't know much about a Warthog. But I just read that it is a very successful STOL aircraft. So I wouldn't be too shocked if that capability would allow it to work off a carrier as well.

The C-130 I watched operate off the Enterprise had neither a tail hook or designed in ship launch devices. It stopped using reversed props and took off with lots of JATO units. I suspect a Warthog, having STOL could do something on its' own a well.

Yeah, I saw that on YouTube once. Pretty cool. I know when I see the Blue Angels perform and they show off "Fat Albert" they use cans? to get it right off the ground in no time. Pretty damn sweat!

If you want to fly the Warthog get DCS World (It is free) and then buy the Warthog addon. You will not be disappointed. All of the aircraft in DCS are either Study Level Aircraft or are in the process of being converted to Study Level.

Cheers!! :)

Archived