New PC Spec Comparison for FSX

Hey guys, I'm getting back into FSX after a few years absence and I'm going to buy a new PC for it. I'm deciding between two systems, the specs of which I've listed below. I'd really appreciate if you could advise me as to which computer is better value for money performance-wise. I'm picking out what information I believe is relevant, but let me know if there's anything else I should include :)

PC 1:

Intel Core i7 8700 (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology)

16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz

128GB M.2 SATA SSD + 2TB SATA 7200RPM HDD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5

Price: ~ 1300 Euro

PC 2

Intel Core i5 8400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology)

16GB,DDR4,2666MHz

1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

Price: ~ 1500 Euro

These specs seem roughly comparable to the layperson like me, so I'm not sure if the extra bits for PC 2 justify the price increase. Could anybody shed some light on this? My budget is ~ 1500, but I'd also like value for money.

Thanks in advance!

PS - From browsing these forums it seems that FSX is creates problems no matter how souped-up the computer. Would people recommend switching to other flight sims instead like P3D with these specs?

hello, looks like either one of those pc's will be fine, if these computers are strictly for fsx you can even go down to a i5 and get good performance

if you apply the usual 'tweaks' to fsx it generally becomes trouble free or you can opt for the steam version. it seems a bit more stable.

if you want to switch to another flight sim, p3dv4 is a 64 bit sim. the performance is 3x more[for me] than fsx and no tweaking required

Indeed, PC 1. Not only is the CPU faster but the 1060 GPU is more than adequate for FSX...no sense paying extra for the 1070..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived