FS9 needs second startup

hjwalter

Hi guys,

First of all, the basic problem, which I have had for about a year but only recently really began to take notice of it because of seemingly lower frame rates.

Double clicking on my FS9 shortcut icon or on the FS9.exe itself, only produces the Win7 colored circle for a few seconds and then stops. No splash screeen, no nothing.

Only after double clicking a second time does my FS9 seem to start up normally but then ........ please read on ...... and I thank you in advance for the trouble taken.

Processor: i7-3930K @ 3.2 - 3.8 GHz

Memory: 32 Gb. Yes, this is far too much because only a relatively small poprtion of it seems to actually be used.

Windows7 Professional 64 bit, running on two SSDs in RAID zero setup. Original version, now six years old and taken from the originally purchased DVD. There have never been any Win7 updates because my machine has never been connected to the internet.

Program files + FS9 (129 Gb) on a single SSD of 1 Tb.

I've been running FS9 + update + no CD "crack" with great pleasure more or less ever since it first became available and even better on this latest machine.

After the first double click my Task Manager shows, amongst others, two new processes: "fs9.exe *32" with "00" in the CPU colom and "rundll32.exe *32" with "08" in the CPU colom. Nothing under the Applications tab. However, under the "Performance" tab and "Resource Monitor" button, at least one of my other CPU cores shows a constant usage of about 90%, ranging from between zero and 100% ??? Other cores are spiking as well but on average, far less.

After the second double click on my FS9 shortcut icon, my FS9 seems to start up normally, a second Task Manager "fs9.exe *32" process now appears together with the correct "MS Century of Flight" etc. application name ("running") under the "Applications" tab. My FS9 can now be used normally .... but .... because of the still ongoing high load on one of the other CPU cores, with somewhat less frame rates.

Under the "Processes" tab I can now terminate/remove the initial "rundll32.exe *32" (with the "08" in the CPU colom) and this then automatically also terminates/removes the initial "fs9.exe *32". This also brings peace and quiet back to my other CPU core load(s) and I can now begin using my FS9 and any of my supporting software without these CPU core loads in the background.

The end result in my Task Manager is a.o. a single "fs9.exe *32" process and the correctly named "Century of ...." Application.

I have the strong feeling that the problem is caused by some kind of internet access being directly called up by my initial FS9 "double click" and which then goes into a loop, possibly because my machine has no internet connection. I also believe strongly that the Windows "rundll32.dll" files are somehow involved, together with "Gameux.dll" files, each of which can be found in both the Windows "SysWOW64" and "System32" folders.

I've spent many hours in trying to decipher the "Sysinternals Process Monitor" listing but have not been able to find anything meaningful in the very many FS9.exe entries, which appear after the first double click. What should I be looking for in this huge listing, if my problem does somehow concern a loop.

My burning question is therefore: What could be trying to access the internet as the single and direct result of the initial double click, even before my FS9 actually starts up. Does any of you experts out there know of a way of somehow being able to find this hidden culprit so that I can get rid of it.

HELP !!

Hans

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hans, maybe Windows Defender is blocking the first click on FS9.exe? It would block the program until it had checked online that it's not malicious.

You could try adding FS9.exe to Defender's Exclusions list, or disable Defender altogether: https://www.repairwin.com/enable-disable-windows-defender-windows-78-10/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks for your suggestions Tim. I disabled my Windows Defender but sadly this didn't help in any way. Scans via the "MS Security Essentials" system did not find anything either nor did Malwarebytes scans.

After even more extensive Google searches, it now turns out that there are a number of 6/7 year old forum threads on exactly this subject but, and as far as I can make out, no real solutions were found.

The only problem solving exception was evidently to connect to the internet, as experienced by one of the posters. However, because the problem only manifested itself a number of years after Win7 was first introduced, this seems to be a rather dangerous solution because under such circumstances, you never know which possibly "shady" sites will be visited without you knowing about it and for what purpose(s). Moreover, I expect that the problem will immediatly be back as soon as the internet is then disconnected again.

It also seems and I repeat the word "seems", that the problem or even the possible Win7 bug, has since then been solved, possibly via a MS update, because new posts on the subject quite suddenly ceased.

Could my "host" rundll32.exe file somehow have become corrupted so that it opens an unwanted process even before my FS9 initially starts up ? I'm stumped on this one but for safety reasons prefer to remain disconnected from the internet.

Ideas, anyone.

Hans

HI HJ.

Win OS / FS9's Registry gets affected, when you reinstall it, or move it, and while it is possible to repair it manually, it is best to wipe it out, including the Registry references, and reinstall. Not a good solution, I know, I had the same problem, I ended up fixing it, maybe 7-8 years ago?, but I moved on since. If you can, have sufficient throughput in your system, get FSX Gold, you can still find some on the INet, or look at XP11.

Could my "host" rundll32.exe file somehow have become corrupted so that it opens an unwanted process even before my FS9 initially starts up ? I'm stumped on this one but for safety reasons prefer to remain disconnected from the internet.

Hans, I found this solution from 2010 at AVSIM:

In case anyone should search for this problem in the future, here is the answer:

Run regedit.

Delete this entry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-1380981980-2726883197-928252028-1000

Your registry entry may have a different number, but delete it and just leave the Games and MachineSettings subfolders in the GameUX folder.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Hans This has a feel of low level malware. all the main Anti Virus Progs do not bother about malware that is only tracking or collecting none secure info, but as with the majority of malware/Viruses it is not very well written and can end up chocking itself and stopping PC processes. Won't do any harm installing something like (Malwarebyts) on a 30 day free trial, if this is not the problem it may well get you PC running better.

LINK:- https://store.malwarebytes.com/ "tip only remove stuff that is labelled Malware"

Howard

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004916148824 (Sorry No Friends please)

Quote: '..Program files + FS9...'

This suggests you may have FS9 installed under 'Program Files'. That alone will cause a lot of problems, and MAY be your solution. I have my FS9 (and FSX Accel) install under main HDrive (C:\FS9) and have no problems (I have the no cd patch). Sometimes it's the 'simple' things that make a difference.

You have done a lot of good detective work and are getting to know how things work. But that, and $7, will buy you a cup of java at StarBuck$ - but that's all - and won't help solve your problem. So, uninstall and re-install FS9 to 'C:\FS9' and get rid of a lot of headaches. Also tweak your FS9 cfg. Google it.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Tim, you're my hero !!

Removing the registry entry and another very similar one further down, certainly did the trick but only after I had backed up just about everything I could find and making several restore points.

Messing with the registry and running the risk that my system no longer boots, is normally not something I enjoy doing and this was most certainly a first for me.

Thanks very much for your help and I learned a lot from it.

Hans

Napamule2,

You are absolutely correct in that FS9 should never be installed in it's default folder because that will cause a multitude of unpredictable problems at unpredictable moments. The reason is that a strongly dynamic system like FS9, will then constantly be scrutinized for (normal) internal behavior but which Windows sees as "attacks" on it's security.

I therefore learnt many years ago that it's of paramount importance that FS9 always be installed in any partition OTHER than the one in which Windows itself lives.

In my setup I even have a completely separate physical SSD which remains solely reserved for my FS9 and all it's supporting software, e.g. Afcad, ADE, S-Builder, EZ-Object placement, etc. etc. It's my main FS9 folder only which is a bare 129 Gb in size, "bare" meaning that it has been stripped of all unnessesary "ballast".

Sorry for my inacuracy.

Hans

Always thoght that was a load of baloney - and still do - to install it outside the X86 folder. All my installs on different machines go there and work perfectly fine with zero issues.

Current install OUTSIDE x86 has had more issues but that could be unrelated.

Default location is acceptable and personally think it runs better there.

It may be so with Australian version of Windows or FS9 but in the USA they may be different (just kidding).

I have my sims (at one time FS98, FS2002, FS9 and FSX) on a seperate WD 1 Tb HDrive. The Sims write files but not to the Program Files X86 folder. I never have had any problems. Pass the baloney.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

It may be so with Australian version of Windows or FS9 but in the USA they may be different (just kidding).

I have my sims (at one time FS98, FS2002, FS9 and FSX) on a seperate WD 1 Tb HDrive. The Sims write files but not to the Program Files X86 folder. I never have had any problems. Pass the baloney.

Chuck B

Napamule

Out of curiosity, what’s the benefit of running everything on a 2nd drive? But it’s not an external right?

Nothing new. Some people have bought SSD's to no avail. Some buy 5200 rpm HDDrives and fail too. I bought a 1 TB © for Windows and Programs. The (D) drive is all Flt Sim. Both are Western Digital (striped of the proprietary WD software by formatting) and 7200 rpm. I get 30 fps in FSX and 300 fps in FS9. The Sims being 32 bit SW and using only 1 core requires us to do things different in order to get performance. I install Windows with the (D) drive disconnected. After Windows is working good only then do I plug (D) drive in, and reboot. I format the (D) drive, reboot Win, and then add sim(s) with restart of sim after ANY/ALL different stages of operation. Advantage? Probably not documented. Just things you learn from forums, etc. They don't tell you everything. Like having to run Sim 'As Administrator'. Even XP had that (due to update?). Win 7 is bad about working with 32 bit programs. You have to mash them into that 'Bully' type OS's ( Win 7) face. (DO it MY WAY!) Madness. So every little thing helps. Having a 'balanced' set up (rig components) is really the 'KEY'. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Oh, using an external drive is even slower because of it being a 'USB' connection (does NOT work well with Sims). The SATA HDDrives directly plugged is 2 times faster than any external due to, like I said, the limitations of the USB connection and what it takes (time) to access files.

Edited by napamule2

Very timely post, Hans - thank you for bringing this up.

I too have been mushing my way through this issue for about a year, but never took it too seriously because it ultimately didn't effect the sim, once the second start opened it up.

This fixed it for me as well - thanks Tim!

My install is in my own folder, on an updated WIN7 OS.

Here's to one less series of mouse clicks to get the beast up and running! :)

Neil :cool:

Neil,

This double startup process was certainly negatively effecting my FS9 and I can now clearly see this after Tim's registry edit and my very first Win7/FS9 restart. My frame rates have increased, there's less stuttering and the (first time) startup is noticeably faster than I had become used to.

Just one nagging question remains though and that is, although the problematic (pre-FS9 startup) internet access is now structurally being blocked, what sly process could possibly be trying to access the internet and for what purpose ? I'm directing this question towards any Win7/FS9 and structurally internet connected simmer, who might have some experience on this very specific question.

Regards

Hans

Nothing new. Some people have bought SSD's to no avail. Some buy 5200 rpm HDDrives and fail too. I bought a 1 TB © for Windows and Programs. The (D) drive is all Flt Sim. Both are Western Digital (striped of the proprietary WD software by formatting) and 7200 rpm. I get 30 fps in FSX and 300 fps in FS9. The Sims being 32 bit SW and using only 1 core requires us to do things different in order to get performance. I install Windows with the (D) drive disconnected. After Windows is working good only then do I plug (D) drive in, and reboot. I format the (D) drive, reboot Win, and then add sim(s) with restart of sim after ANY/ALL different stages of operation. Advantage? Probably not documented. Just things you learn from forums, etc. They don't tell you everything. Like having to run Sim 'As Administrator'. Even XP had that (due to update?). Win 7 is bad about working with 32 bit programs. You have to mash them into that 'Bully' type OS's ( Win 7) face. (DO it MY WAY!) Madness. So every little thing helps. Having a 'balanced' set up (rig components) is really the 'KEY'. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Oh, using an external drive is even slower because of it being a 'USB' connection (does NOT work well with Sims). The SATA HDDrives directly plugged is 2 times faster than any external due to, like I said, the limitations of the USB connection and what it takes (time) to access files.

I thoght when my rum wore off, and had some sleep, I’d be able to make more sence of this. But also no, my poor old simple brain blew a fuse and now I’m back on the rum. :p

Disclaimer : in no way am I encouraging anyone to drink rum to have ‘clearer’ thinking. Nor do I advocate a diet rich in sweet, Caribbean rum with a lime wedge or two and ice as a formula to think, act and ‘fly’ better.

Actually, I think I ‘fly’ better on rum but I can’t prove it unless I conduct a double blind study of myself. Er....o....k. Think I better go....

• 1 year later...

The only solution that work propperly and i have tested after many reboots is:

Open regedit.exe.

Go to the Section->

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\

Delet the registry entries/Key:

S-1-5-21-1380981980-2726883197-928252028-1000 / May be different

leave only these Keys:

Games + Machine Settings DON'T DELET THESE KEYS!!!

Thats all. No reinstall. My Flight Sim has 29 GB and over 170.000 Files! :-) :-) :-)

I found this thread after searching for a very similar problem. Currently running FS9 win7 64 with no-cd patch on a 3-yr old gaming machine w/8G DDR3 memory card, 2GB GFORCE card, and 1TB HD.

Recently (can't really pin-point when) I noticed my FS9 start-up is extremely slow. The DC3 splash screen may take several minutes to appear and then another 3-4 minutes until the main menu appears - if at all! When it doesn't appear and I get impatient and reboot FS9 using my task manager. Rebooting always works but may take several attempts before I finally get to the default menu screen where I can choose aircraft, flights, etc.

I have also started noticing some shuttering when flying into heavily dense scenery with AI above 80%. I didn't think this system would have issues handling the FS9 load so I'm not sure if these two problems are related somehow. I've tried reducing the scenery sliders and AI % to no avail.

Any advise would on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adrian

Remarkable...I came to the forum to search for prior posts on a new problem associated with rundll32.exe hogging CPU and slowing the internet. First thing I see is this thread, apparently the exact same thing!

I'm terrified of trying to edit the registry, but will give it a shot tonight when I get home.

Nadlzfw

I have the need to start FS9 twice the first time (Only needs one start thereafter) and was hoping this registry trick would work.

When I looked at the...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-1380981980-2726883197-928252028-1000

key, I had several games in there besides FS9, so I Exported the key as a backup.

Then I deleted the key as suggested and I still have to double start FS9, so it didn't work. Also all the games that were in the registry folder went missing from the "Games" manager. So I Imported the .reg key back in to fix the missing games.

Any other ideas?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I found this thread after searching for a very similar problem. Currently running FS9 win7 64 with no-cd patch on a 3-yr old gaming machine w/8G DDR3 memory card, 2GB GFORCE card, and 1TB HD.

Recently (can't really pin-point when) I noticed my FS9 start-up is extremely slow. The DC3 splash screen may take several minutes to appear and then another 3-4 minutes until the main menu appears - if at all! When it doesn't appear and I get impatient and reboot FS9 using my task manager. Rebooting always works but may take several attempts before I finally get to the default menu screen where I can choose aircraft, flights, etc.

I have also started noticing some shuttering when flying into heavily dense scenery with AI above 80%. I didn't think this system would have issues handling the FS9 load so I'm not sure if these two problems are related somehow. I've tried reducing the scenery sliders and AI % to no avail.

Any advise would on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adrian

Adrian,

FS9 can really slow down and stutter if you aren't running in compatibility mode with your operating system. To check, right click on your FS9 icon and select "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab and make sure you are running FS9 in the mode that agrees with your OS.

Larry

For the "double start" issue, this may help - http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/2012/08/resolve-it-finally-game-explorer-aka.html

I had the issue with CFS3 - the first start would have CFS3.exe and rundll32.exe each consuming about 40% of cpu but the game never loading, kill both processes, start CFS again and all was well. The fix at that link cleared the problem, and also seems to have improved load times of some other games; it is a simple bat file that changes ownership and permissions of one file in the system folder then renames it, running it a second time will revert the changes.

(Giving due credit, I got the link from http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4478905/re-rundll32-exe-tip )

Ok I guess I need help too please.

Recently I did not run FS9 for more than 1 month, I booted the pc everyday to work on some traffic files and that was it only thing I did, I never ran FS9 or anything else until today I clicked the icon and it took 2 clicks to get it started but then the loading is way too long, even on menu clicking to change aircraft, the plane on menu is rotating 360 degrees as we know it but it's stuttering a little so as in flight, fps are down too. Now exact same thing happening with another sim but it's racing called GTR2, takes 2 clicks, takes lots of time to load, lots of stuttering in gameplay and fps down.

Please how can this be fixed as I am not sure if we all users could have the same issue. It seems to be coming from FS9 because I just did a test by restarting the pc and running the racing sim and everything seems to be normal but when I run FS9 first, everything slows down and stutters.

Win7

I7-3770

16GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB

FS9 is installed in a separate drive than windows.