ColR1948 This is what you need for your Airhauler business!

Just think, Col, no more thinking about having to make two trips, just load 'em up and let's go! The fuel though, might cut into your profits, though? Oh well, let's load some more!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203251[/ATTACH]

I have had more fun flying this "bad boy!" - Rick

Hi Rick, I changed my FSX and wound the clock back, I'm running it in 1950s - 1960's era.

Col.

Some days I think that'd be be a good idea RW as well!! I had some great times during that era!!:cool::cool:;)

Of course I almost got killed, twice during the same time period. :eek::eek:

When it's all said and done, I don't think I'm man enough to live through those 50 years again!! Nor frankly do I want to!! Hell I didn't even have FSX back then!!!:rolleyes:

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi Rick, I changed my FSX and wound the clock back, I'm running it in 1950s - 1960's era.

Col.

Hey Col.! Don't forget to check your fuel and gross!! Also make sure you crank those radials through by hand before you attempt to start them!!;)

Michael

Hey Rick,

Don't get too comfortable with your winged blow torch!! Especially during summer you still need to check your gross against the temperature and altitude chart.

Those things fly great at 40,000' ASL. But on a hot day at a high altitude airport you can run out of runway and still be at 0' AGL!!! :o:mad: :eek::eek:

Michael ;)

Hey Rick,

Don't get too comfortable with your winged blow torch!! Especially during summer you still need to check your gross against the temperature and altitude chart.

Those things fly great at 40,000' ASL. But on a hot day at a high altitude airport you can run out of runway and still be at 0' AGL!!! :o:mad: :eek::eek:

Michael ;)

Michael - This is Col's flight not mine, I did the math for on board weight and balance, the rest, temps and altitude, he can check! And go figure, now he will be flying out of Ethiopia!! He ought to have plenty of questions now!

Why do you think I offered up the MD-11? :cool:

Rick

Hey Rick,

Michael ;)

Michael - You weren't referring to the MD11 when you said "winged blow torch?" This "bad boy" on the runway, dances like "boot scootin boogie!" and flies equally as well in the air! I know how much you love the tube liners, so I will leave it at that!

Have a nice evening! - Rick :cool:

Michael - You weren't referring to the MD11 when you said "winged blow torch?" This "bad boy" on the runway, dances like "boot scootin boogie!" and flies equally as well in the air! I know how much you love the tube liners, so I will leave it at that!

Have a nice evening! - Rick :cool:

Hey Rick, What happens at 40,000' at say -10C has nothing to do with what happens on a runway from a standing start at say 6,500' and 100F!!

I have no knowledge of that aircraft so I was just looking at the specs of the MD-11 online. As I read it, the MD-11 needs 10,300' of runway to take off at Maximum Take-Off Weight on a "Standard Day!" A "Standard Day" is defined as a temp of 59F, altitude of sea level, and 14.7 PSI of atmospheric pressure.

If you raise that ambient temp to say 100F and that runway altitude to say 6,500' then have a low pressure system in the area, short of a major federal shuttle landing site there is no place in the world your MD-11 can even hope to take off at MTOW!!!:eek::eek: In fact at several major airports in the US and many more around the world "Blow Torches" aren't even authorized to try to take off unless loaded including fuel, well below MTOW, because everyone already knows they can't!

True, I'm not a fan of tube-liners. However whether it be a chopper, a small GA airplane, a sports car, or a tube-liner, the laws of physics always apply despite anyone's personal preferences of specific machines!!

Michael

Hey Rick, What happens at 40,000' at say -10C has nothing to do with what happens on a runway from a standing start at say 6,500' and 100F!!

I have no knowledge of that aircraft so I was just looking at the specs of the MD-11 online. As I read it, the MD-11 needs 10,300' of runway to take off at Maximum Take-Off Weight on a "Standard Day!" A "Standard Day" is defined as a temp of 59F, altitude of sea level, and 14.7 PSI of atmospheric pressure.

If you raise that ambient temp to say 100F and that runway altitude to say 6,500' then have a low pressure system in the area, short of a major federal shuttle landing site there is no place in the world your MD-11 can even hope to take off at MTOW!!!:eek::eek: In fact at several major airports in the US and many more around the world "Blow Torches" aren't even authorized to try to take off unless loaded including fuel, well below MTOW, because everyone already knows they can't!

True, I'm not a fan of tube-liners. However whether it be a chopper, a small GA airplane, a sports car, or a tube-liner, the laws of physics always apply despite anyone's personal preferences of specific machines!!

Michael

Michael - Wow, if you are trying to "drive home" the importance of me being careful flying a RW MD11 aircraft in a RW density altitude situation at a RW airport, high elevation, hot humid summer day, your point is well taken! Your worries can stop right here and now! Some people call Microsoft FSX a game, I prefer to call it a flight simulator! In all reality, no matter what it truly is, it's all imaginary!

Some say, be considerate of your passengers, they want a smooth flight, smooth landings and a pleasant voice over the loud speaker!

I don't fly passengers, so who is there to be considerate of? I fly the flight simulator, I simulate flying aircraft that I was never given the opportunity to fly years ago! At one time, I wanted to pursue a career in aviation, but my family didn't have the money that some people are fortunate enough to have! I paid for my own flying lessons by the hour, and scheduled my lessons when I could afford to pay for them! Those days are gone, Michael, my days of flying are over! The desire is still there, but that's all it is. I can still hop on the computer and fly what I want, go where I want, and guess what? Doesn't cost me a dime, fuel is free, and if I do any damage to the aircraft, Microsoft will see to it I get a replacement! One thing you can rest assured, I will be here each and every day to converse with my friends, laugh and make light of situations we have all experienced. You DO NOT have to worry about Rick crashing an MD11 in a density altitude situation. When I do leave this world, maybe I will return and be fortunate enough to earn another PPL or better, I promise you, I will remember your warnings about the MD11 and density altitude! It is as you say, a tubeliner, but I like flying them all, along with the GA aircraft I have in my aircraft arsenal. Helicopters, forget it, too frustrating for me! Have a nice evening Michael, and please relax! - Rick

Hey Rick, it's all good! I also enjoy simming! For one thing, as far as I have noticed I've never been shot at while flying a sim!!;):cool: Other than blowing through Restricted Areas, I truly try to make my sims accurate.

Trying to be accurate, I also try to look for and consider possible problems whilst still on Terra Firma! The best decision any captain, regardless of the vessel, can ever make is to not start a journey under very marginal conditions. Having said that, especially when flying Med-Evacs you have to go with he action causing the least issues.

Michael

Rick, I like your bird, but I'm into Prop-business....... I deny jets ;)

Lord Peerhoven, I'm curious do you still have a dial phone as well? I've heard those beeps on the touch-tone phones might be some form of code!!??

Michael

Talking of the big birds I remember when Laker stopped flying and luckily I was there the day they flew one of his DC-10's out of Manchester to take to wherever to be re-sold or whatever was planned for it.

I got told the crew flying it out was going to do a farewell low level fly past, I got in one of the vehicles and positioned myself to watch the action.

I saw it takeoff then after a few minutes I saw it making it's approach.

WOW! It flew low right along the runway must have been a few hundred feet from the ground. gear up, it was a magnificent sight I'll always remember.

I'm also not lover of fighter planes but one day a USAF fighter came in and again we got talking to the pilot, he said he asked if he could do a low level when he flew out, but the airport was too busy to allow it.

So he said he would give us a treat when he left, we would have to wait and see, so we were all watching, when he took off he went almost vertical, then fire shot from his exhaust and he did a roll, again fantastic to see.

Col.

Lord Peerhoven, I'm curious do you still have a dial phone as well? I've heard those beeps on the touch-tone phones might be some form of code!!??

Michael

Nah, I would suspect that His Peerness is still on a party-line with a hand cranked phone.:eek:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Talking of the big birds I remember when Laker stopped flying and luckily I was there the day they flew one of his DC-10's out of Manchester to take to wherever to be re-sold or whatever was planned for it.

I got told the crew flying it out was going to do a farewell low level fly past, I got in one of the vehicles and positioned myself to watch the action.

I saw it takeoff then after a few minutes I saw it making it's approach.

WOW! It flew low right along the runway must have been a few hundred feet from the ground. gear up, it was a magnificent sight I'll always remember.

I'm also not lover of fighter planes but one day a USAF fighter came in and again we got talking to the pilot, he said he asked if he could do a low level when he flew out, but the airport was too busy to allow it.

So he said he would give us a treat when he left, we would have to wait and see, so we were all watching, when he took off he went almost vertical, then fire shot from his exhaust and he did a roll, again fantastic to see.

Col.

Yes, Timing is everything!!

Several years ago Molly and I went down to Memphis Tennessee (US) to see the King Tut traveling exhibit in the "Pyramid" there. As we also love barbecue, we timed our trip while they were having a huge barbecue festival on their very nice and broad riverfront.

Now comes the timing part! Unbeknown to us, this was also the anniversary of when they put up the "Memphis Belle" exhibit on "Mud Island" there. So while we were walking along the waterfront a huge group of at least a dozen (12) actual WWII bombers from all over North America took off from a nearby Arkansas airport and did a mass "bombing run" on the Barbecue festival. They flew over about 500' off the deck with all bomb bay doors open!!!:eek::eek::eek::cool:

Then they re-massed over Arkansas and made another run!! This time everyone carrying a camera had it out and took a ton of pictures! (BTW: This was the era of the "Bag Phone" when a cell phone was still a corded touch-tone phone carried in a bag that looked like a large purse.)

I have managed to lose my 35mm color slides I took that day!! Otherwise I'd post some here.

Michael

Great story Michael, I think we might have to turn this forum in to a story forum lol.

I have lots of different stories of when I was there, another one is they often fly in Greyhoud from Dublin, dogs that are to be raced at the dog racing track, on many occasion when they opened the hold doors the dogs somehow had got lose and shot off, they could obviously run and some were caught quick but other managed to evade capture for ages.

We used to joke and say best not bet on that one tonight.

On this subject a another dog got lose (not a Greyhound) and the police were trying to catch it, it was running them ragged, it thought it was a game, it used to stop and when the police got close it ran off again.

Well in those days I was very fit as I used to run marathons, I saw this policeman chasing the dog and I just set off and overtook him and I dived and caught the dog, what I liked most was seeing the policeman's face as I ran past him.

Col.

Archived